Morrisseys new album should sound like this...

F

Fractured King

I hear there's gonna be a new Mozzer LP this year and, as much as I love the previous albums, it needs to take a bit of a musical leap forward. I'm not suggesting for one moment that Morrissey should start making Garage but the music needs to go forward a little. The best example's are on the last two LP's with tracks like "Ambitious Outsiders" and "The Teachers are afraid of the Pupils". Those tracks are great because he took a risk with a different sort of sound. He should listen to Shelleydevoto's LP "Buzzkunst" to see what I mean. Two of the giants of New Wave coming up with new material that combines Shelleys guitars with new electronics and Devoto's sardonic lyrics. Don't get me wrong, I'm looking forward to the new record but if it's the same auld stuff I'll be very disappointed...

> I hear there's gonna be a new Mozzer LP this year and

haven't we heard there is going to be a new album every year?

not being catty, but we know the rumor mill very well!

> I hear there's gonna be a new Mozzer LP this year and, as much as I love
> the previous albums, it needs to take a bit of a musical leap forward. I'm
> not suggesting for one moment that Morrissey should start making Garage
> but the music needs to go forward a little. The best example's are on the
> last two LP's with tracks like "Ambitious Outsiders" and
> "The Teachers are afraid of the Pupils". Those tracks are great
> because he took a risk with a different sort of sound. He should listen to
> Shelleydevoto's LP "Buzzkunst" to see what I mean. Two of the
> giants of New Wave coming up with new material that combines Shelleys
> guitars with new electronics and Devoto's sardonic lyrics. Don't get me
> wrong, I'm looking forward to the new record but if it's the same auld
> stuff I'll be very disappointed...

I don't know exactly how Morrissey feels about electronic stuff, but I really would love to hear Moz trying this, and I believe this can bring more power and impact to his lyrics.

i couldn't agree more.

one of the things i love about Morrissey's early work is the diversity of sounds that he used. Piano/organ, textures, weird sounds, samples, synthesizers, orchestration & classical instruments, unconventional guitar playing & more... all contributing to a rich and varied sound. also, every song had a different approach, and many times a different combination of instruments driving the song. Palare: drums & piano; Will Never Marry: cello & drums; Ouija Board: rhythm & sound effects; Everyday Is Like Sunday: drums & beautiful string arrangements, etc... etc... it's no wonder why that was Morrissey's most successful period.

that's also why i disliked Maladjusted so much... sonically it seemed so bland and ordinary... not inspired at all. i think in general Morrissey's songs from a production standpoint need to improve. you just need to listen to Bona Drag to see the vast difference.

> I don't know exactly how Morrissey feels about electronic stuff, but I
> really would love to hear Moz trying this, and I believe this can bring
> more power and impact to his lyrics.

> i couldn't agree more.

> one of the things i love about Morrissey's early work is the diversity of
> sounds that he used. Piano/organ, textures, weird sounds, samples,
> synthesizers, orchestration & classical instruments, unconventional
> guitar playing & more... all contributing to a rich and varied sound.
> also, every song had a different approach, and many times a different
> combination of instruments driving the song. Palare: drums & piano;
> Will Never Marry: cello & drums; Ouija Board: rhythm & sound
> effects; Everyday Is Like Sunday: drums & beautiful string
> arrangements, etc... etc... it's no wonder why that was Morrissey's most
> successful period.

> that's also why i disliked Maladjusted so much... sonically it seemed so
> bland and ordinary... not inspired at all. i think in general Morrissey's
> songs from a production standpoint need to improve. you just need to
> listen to Bona Drag to see the vast difference.

but electronic music is so 1995. besides, you don't want him to be like Beck and produce one album that everyone runs out and buys, but the next year everyone forgets about him because he was too hip for his own good.

right... i'm not suggesting that he pull an Aphex Twin or anything like that... just that he returns to the spirit of sonic diversity evident in his work from the late '80's & early nineties.

Maladjusted sounds like a bunch of studio demos to me.

oh, & bad, cheesy electronic music (e.g. Crystal Method or Fluke) may be so 1995, but electronic music is a valid art form. (too bad no one seems to agree)

> but electronic music is so 1995. besides, you don't want him to be like
> Beck and produce one album that everyone runs out and buys, but the next
> year everyone forgets about him because he was too hip for his own good.

> right... i'm not suggesting that he pull an Aphex Twin or anything like
> that... just that he returns to the spirit of sonic diversity evident in
> his work from the late '80's & early nineties.

> Maladjusted sounds like a bunch of studio demos to me.

> oh, & bad, cheesy electronic music (e.g. Crystal Method or Fluke) may
> be so 1995, but electronic music is a valid art form. (too bad no one
> seems to agree)

i seem to remember an article written sometime around 1996. i can't recall what publication and all, but it was basically an argument that electronic music, and specifically its offshoots like drum and bass were going to relegate guitar bands into the bronze age. all i've seen so far is that drum and bass is the equivalent of finding a fossil of a troglodyte in a creek bed. you see millions of them so they aren't that unique or interesting, but more importantly, you don't see live ones hanging around anymore, do you?

i would think that his late 80's early 90's was his closest approximation to mirroring the smith's sound than anything else. Suedehead is the best example i have of what i'm referring to. its only in recent years that he's tried going in a harder direction, which considering his persona, that is technically the more daring road. its essentially rejecting the sound that if he can't have johnny marr writing it, then he doesn't have stand-in musicians and songwriters necessarily beating the same path.

however, does it make for a good record? that is the core question that is getting lost in all of this.

not that i see electronic music as specifically invalid, because just like any other type of music, if you know what you're doing, you can make an excellent record. what it boils down to is the material. its like when you go see the big ticket movies with a solid story line and not renting Jean Luc Godard movies. you might like to do it on occasion, and the know it all critics and film buffs may go on and on about how much more groundbreaking it is, but i guarantee you that if you catch them on a given night, they are watching Star Wars. why? because as "intellectual" as they are, they have to cover up that they watch movies for pleasure.

so, in the end, i do own a couple of electronic based albums that i really enjoy. however, they kept their pop aspects intact. you can walk the line and have excellent albums by Erasure, the talking heads, brian eno that bring an atmosphere to the songs that were written without completely drowning away its melodic aspects, but at the core of it, have excellent songs that can work in many ways.

and well, to my final point is that if he were going to write an electronic album, he would have to get musicians and songwriters that work in that medium. look at Johnny Marr. his stab at it with Electronic was a dud.

In my opinion, Morrisseys new album, if there is one, should sound however he damnwell thinks it should sound - otherwise it won't be Morrisseys new album.

moz plagiarized 'the teachers are afraid of the pupils' from a dead russian

> I hear there's gonna be a new Mozzer LP this year and, as much as I love
> the previous albums, it needs to take a bit of a musical leap forward. I'm
> not suggesting for one moment that Morrissey should start making Garage
> but the music needs to go forward a little. The best example's are on the
> last two LP's with tracks like "Ambitious Outsiders" and
> "The Teachers are afraid of the Pupils". Those tracks are great
> because he took a risk with a different sort of sound.

it seems odd to claim that the song, "the teachers are afraid of the pupils" is a move forward in morrissey's music, when the opening melody, which run through the whole of the song, is the opening theme of the first movment of dmitri shostakovich's fifth symphony - penned in 1937.

> In my opinion, Morrisseys new album, if there is one, should sound however
> he damnwell thinks it should sound - otherwise it won't be Morrisseys new
> album.

well, if he plays new songs on his new tour, we'll get a good idea where his head is at, wont' we?

not that i was seriously thinking he would throw in loops.

Re: The words were Morrissey's own, and ...

> it seems odd to claim that the song, "the teachers are afraid of the
> pupils" is a move forward in morrissey's music, when the opening
> melody, which run through the whole of the song, is the opening theme of
> the first movment of dmitri shostakovich's fifth symphony - penned in
> 1937.

I took them on loan, but don't tell him.

Back
Top Bottom