Morrissey's Best & Worst Moment (Hey look I'm only human)

Vauxhall95

I Know It's Over...
Seems like a fitting day for this question...

Question of the day: what was your best and worst Morrissey moment?

Easily, my best moment was the handshake I got at the last concert. In some irrational way, it seemed to validate the years of rabid devotion to my pop icon.

My worst Morrissey moment was probably the leaked e-mail from his security guard to the then Sanctuary Group Inc Chief Executive Officer Merck Mercuriadis, lamenting the death of "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" on the pop charts and listing among reasons it should have been more popular the "controversial remarks regarding animal rights he had made." That in and of itself was bad, as it gave the appearance Morrissey was using the issue of animal rights as a forum to sell records, but then he refused to debate a scientist who publicly blasted Morrissey's views. If you're that passionate to make such inflammatory remarks, you should back it up and defend your remarks. The final nail in the worst Morrissey moment was having his attorney contact Moz-Solo to have the leaked e-mail removed.

Best: Buying "The Queen Is Dead". No personal encounter with Morrissey could ever be as good as listening to his music.

Worst: Going on a blind date with a Smiths fan. We were sixteen, clumsy and shy and between the two of us we made "Half A Person" sound like a James Brown f*** anthem.

Best: The last night of the London Palladium last year. It was magical.

Worst: When he cancelled Isle of Whight and tried to blame everyone else, when he was aware that people had been planning for it for months. The fact he chose an midnight Radio 2 DJ with about 10 listeners to announce his intentions showed him being out of touch with reality.

Best: Buying "The Queen Is Dead". No personal encounter with Morrissey could ever be as good as listening to his music.

Worst: Going on a blind date with a Smiths fan. We were sixteen, clumsy and shy and between the two of us we made "Half A Person" sound like a James Brown f*** anthem.

I'm loving the discreet quotes this site is littered with. They'd fly straight over the heads of any philistines crossing these paths!

I'm loving the discreet quotes this site is littered with. They'd fly straight over the heads of any philistines crossing these paths!

You weren't very convincing to begin with. Now it's just getting tired, don't you think?

The Merck E-Mail was tragic. I came to Solo just as that was breaking, you know; I was relatively new to Moz, and it almost put me off altogether.

Best moment ever? I think of Finsbury Park as his bravest moment, and "Come Back to Camden" as his most beautiful.

I'd have to say that, yeah, Kristeen getting sacked takes instant worst for me. I know he's sacked others...but y'know, I wasn't a particular fan, and I have to say, though I haven't witnessed many, this flame-out seems particularly spectacular given that they seem to have gone directly from mutual adoration to nil.

Easy

Best: Last Saturday in Merrillville -2 ppl from the stage, 2 handshakes, 1 calf caress :p and um, our frinky conversation
Worst: 9/27/97 -Missed Moz in Chicago cuz I was at my wedding. JEEZ!! :mad: :D

And you can quote Worm on that...

You weren't very convincing to begin with. Now it's just getting tired, don't you think?

You ARE a true fan! ;-) What year were you born? My birthday is 9-27-72.

Easy

Best: Last Saturday in Merrillville -2 ppl from the stage, 2 handshakes, 1 calf caress :p and um, our frinky conversation
Worst: 9/27/97 -Missed Moz in Chicago cuz I was at my wedding. JEEZ!! :mad: :D

Best: Seeing him live for the first time in Benicassim 2006

Worst: In Paredes de Coura 2006 show when he stopped singing the last song (Panic) and left the stage for unknown reasons :eek:

Exactly, you must be in love to choose someone over Moz!

"I'm 9/9, 41 and frinky"

Sounds like a personal ad I'd totally be into! ;-)

What makes me 'true'? Wanting to be a 'runaway' bride? :)
I'm 9/9, 41 and frinky :D :D :D

Exactly, you must be in love to choose someone over Moz!

"I'm 9/9, 41 and frinky"

Sounds like a personal ad I'd totally be into! ;-)

hahaha -I thought the same thing as I typed it. --edit--
I'm 9/9, 41 and frinky. Only Morrissey lovers need apply.

I had the DJ play Stop Me at my reception tho :) Ah love... well, I'm still upset to this day that I missed Morrissey. What does that tell you ~lol~

Ah, Corrissey if we weren't both married... Just think what a Morrissey frink fest life could have been!

P.S. If we were married that day, we would have ditched the reception and gotten front row spots! ;-)

hahaha -I thought the same thing as I typed it. --edit--
I'm 9/9, 41 and frinky. Only Morrissey lovers need apply.

I had the DJ play Stop Me at my reception tho :) Ah love... well, I'm still upset to this day that I missed Morrissey. What does that tell you ~lol~

You ARE a true fan! ;-) What year were you born? My birthday is 9-27-72.

Well, isn't that interesting? My birthday is 9/27/66. So, we share a birthday and we both share our birthday with Corrissey's anniversary. What a small little Moz world we live in!

My best moment is hard to determine - there are so many great moments - but I'd probably have to single out the first time I got a handshake in Portland in 2000. I had been trying to reach him but being so short, I couldn't quite reach across the gap to his hand. I thought I'd never get to him, but finally he reached my way and I got on my tiptoes, leaned out over the railing and stretched as far as I could. As he was singing "November Spawned a Monster," he said, "Stretch, Stretch" in time with the music and beckoned me to him. I was finally able to reach him for my special little Moz experience.

The worst moment? Again, there are quite a few really bad moments, but I suppose the worst for me personally was when he cancelled the show in Las Vegas in '99. Walking around afterwards, everywhere I looked there were sad fans in Morrissey and Smiths t-shirts drinking their free booze and playing one-armed bandits. Very sad indeed.

Okay, this is getting weird. I graduated from Reed College and saw almost all my Morrissey shows in Portland. However, it wasn't until I moved to Phoenix where I got my first handshake much like you described yours. This is getting spooky! ;-)

Well, isn't that interesting? My birthday is 9/27/66. So, we share a birthday and we both share our birthday with Corrissey's anniversary. What a small little Moz world we live in!

My best moment is hard to determine - there are so many great moments - but I'd probably have to single out the first time I got a handshake in Portland in 2000. I had been trying to reach him but being so short, I couldn't quite reach across the gap to his hand. I thought I'd never get to him, but finally he reached my way and I got on my tiptoes, leaned out over the railing and stretched as far as I could. As he was singing "November Spawned a Monster," he said, "Stretch, Stretch" in time with the music and beckoned me to him. I was finally able to reach him for my special little Moz experience.

The worst moment? Again, there are quite a few really bad moments, but I suppose the worst for me personally was when he cancelled the show in Las Vegas in '99. Walking around afterwards, everywhere I looked there were sad fans in Morrissey and Smiths t-shirts drinking their free booze and playing one-armed bandits. Very sad indeed.

My worst Morrissey moment was probably the leaked e-mail from his security guard to the then Sanctuary Group Inc Chief Executive Officer Merck Mercuriadis, lamenting the death of "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" on the pop charts and listing among reasons it should have been more popular the "controversial remarks regarding animal rights he had made." That in and of itself was bad, as it gave the appearance Morrissey was using the issue of animal rights as a forum to sell records, but then he refused to debate a scientist who publicly blasted Morrissey's views. If you're that passionate to make such inflammatory remarks, you should back it up and defend your remarks. The final nail in the worst Morrissey moment was having his attorney contact Moz-Solo to have the leaked e-mail removed.

did that really happen? i don't recall that. that's terrible.

BEST: myrtle beach, sc earlier this year...got the first handshake of the night then another and then finally made it on stage and gave him the biggest and tightest hug!

WORST: SXSW being by the rail and no handshake and Monterrey, Mexico was the only show that i wasn't by the rail i was two people away from it!...and all my other failed attempts on getting on stage...though each were met by a touch of his hand so they weren't so bad!

Best: getting onstage at the Apollo in '04
Worst: the 40 minute set at the Paramount in '92

Back
Top Bottom