Morrissey's Autobiography - What Will He Reveal?

I doubt he didn't succeed as a music journalist because of his sloppy writing, look at Paul Morely for heavens sake!

Morley was barely coherent when he interviewed Marr the other year, kept tripping over his words etc. He's a big fan of The Smiths, isn't he?

Morley was barely coherent when he interviewed Marr the other year, kept tripping over his words etc. He's a big fan of The Smiths, isn't he?
Yeah, he knew Morrissey pre-1983 and said he referred to him as "The village idiot"

Paul Morley still dining out on the fact he and Moz both wanted to be journos, calling Moz 'Steven' like he knew him, Morley looks like a homeless these days.

Well L.A is the place where eveyone goes to re-invent themselves isn't it? I can see why he left England after the endless negative media stories and court case and loss of a record label, why LA though? Even he hated it and thought it was false, maybe to be closer to his Hispantic fanbase? I thought though he'd have moved to a place where he could focus his creative drive and produce some great music away from the hassle, L.A hardly seems the place though, maybe he wanted to top up his tan and visit a 7 11, who the hell knows?

Yeah, I think he just wanted to get away from everything for a while and enjoy the sunshine. He wrote 'Quarry' when he was out there so I'm not complaining! May also have been when he started the autobiog..??

Paul Morley still dining out on the fact he and Moz both wanted to be journos, calling Moz 'Steven' like he knew him, Morley looks like a homeless these days.

Hahaha, but Morley doesn't have to wear Almarni suit on TV like Tony Wilson.

He was really lucky to make money using Frankie Goes Hollywood.

Hahaha, but Morley doesn't have to wear Almarni suit on TV like Tony Wilson.

He was really lucky to make money using Frankie Goes Hollywood.

Paul Morley just annoys me, he's the atypical Manc, banging on about the good old days of Joy Division and Buzzcocks and the whole Madchester scene.

I'd love to read into his relationships with his former band mates. Gary Day, Alain Whyte, and Spencer Cobrin. His side of what went wrong, their best times, and well, just anything really.

Sadly, I hope it's not too political. I'm not very fond of Morrissey's political side.

Well, there was that bit that was published a year or so back about him and Linder and James Maker gallivanting miserably about the Moors that was allegedly from his autobiography. I remember that reading like an eloquent piece of literature.

Yep.

And I think he didn't succeed in being a journalist because he was an asshole in a witty way as opposed to in the typically dull way of most music journalists.

Again, yep.

Biography of Morrissey's solo years ?

Hi all,

I am halfway through the "saga" biography, really good, so with Johnny Rogan's book that's at least 2 very good biographies on Morrissey's Smiths years.

Are there equivalent, good, detailled and chronological books on Morrissey post-88 ? I am not done with the "saga" but assume it stops with the split, I would love to read equivalent books on the rest of MOz' carreer.

Thanks

Re: Biography of Morrissey's solo years ?

There are an endless amount of pseudo-biographies which are mainly just the author's attempt to psycho-analyse Morrissey or project an image of themselves onto him (anything by Mark Simpson, David Bret etc), but for a stab at any semi-objective analysis your best bet would be Simon Goddard's "Mozipedia: An Encyclopaedia of Morrissey and The Smiths" and perhaps "Morrissey in Conversation: The Essential Interviews" by Paul Woods.

Mozipedia:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mozipedia-E...e_2_har?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1351952292&sr=1-2

It will be the best £18 you spend in a while :thumb:

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

PS. Not sure if you're bothered about Johnny Marr's post-Smiths efforts, but "The Smiths and the Art of Gun-Slinging" (should have been Mud-Slinging :rolleyes:) really isn't worth the paper it's printed on. Dreadful.

He waited until he was 47 to let everyone know he wasn't a virgin anymore? :lbf: I'm sure I remember a Smiths interview where he said he lost it very early, 13 or 14, but he's contradicted himself on the topic many times. I want to know the full Jake story in detail, why he really left the David Bowie tour, the Smiths split from his side and whether he or Linder were lovers at any point...also interested to know what was behind the "secret child" rumours that cropped up during the court case and then were never heard of again.
I dont think he will even mention the 'secret child' rumour, it wasnt even big and he never even said it was untrue in a interview or anything, he was never asked about it.

I'm guessing that the 'December 2012' projection for this book isn't going to materialize.

yeah it's not going to happen this year, the question is who's going to publish it, I think it'll either be Penguin or Faber. But Moz wants it to be a Penguin classic doesn't he?

I have a similar question. The original version of The Severed Alliance covered Morrissey's (and Marr's) post-Smiths work up through 1991. Does the new version include more of that or is all of the added info focused on The Smiths?

I have a similar question. The original version of The Severed Alliance covered Morrissey's (and Marr's) post-Smiths work up through 1991. Does the new version include more of that or is all of the added info focused on The Smiths?

I finished the digital version of the new Rogan book a few weeks ago. It pretty much stops in the same place. -MR

Back
Top Bottom