Morrissey-solo 20 years old today (Feb. 12, 2017)

Today marks 20 years since Morrissey-solo was launched on February 12, 1997. It's been a thrill to work on this site that still consistently averages over 100,000 unique visitors / month. This is a testament to the legacy and interest that Morrissey continually generates and countless small and large contributions from those touched by the music. Thank you to those who have kept it going.

Although it's been through several major redesigns, growing along with the internet itself, in many ways the site is the same as it was when it started - independent and self-supported, open and self-correcting. If you just started visiting or have been for many years, I hope you have enjoyed the freedom that the site allows despite the occasional offense and peril that may have ensued.

20 years to be doing anything I think is a great accomplishment and shows it's here for the long term. I hope you find a project like this to work on that you feel as passionate about.

39654_moz_solo_king_cat_hollywood.jpg

Image for the 20 year anniversary created by King Cat Hollywood, limited edition T-shirts may be available shortly.

UPDATE Mar. 4:
T-shirt purchase details posted by kingcathollywood / Instagram.

Last edited:
Many thanks and congrats
Great site, Benny aside.

Thanks a lot David for starting this and keeping it up over all these years!!!

Thank you David and the gang of Mods for your dedication and commitment to the site. I have spent many happy hours (and some bewildered moments) reading the threads and catching up on the good and bad news.

There are some brilliant people who post on here. They will always win.

Today marks 20 years since Morrissey-solo was launched on February 12, 1997. It's been a thrill to work on this site that still consistently averages over 100,000 unique visitors / month. This is a testament to the legacy and interest that Morrissey continually generates and countless small and large contributions from those touched by the music. Thank you to those who have kept it going.

Although it's been through several major redesigns, growing along with the internet itself, in many ways the site is the same as it was when it started - independent and self-supported, open and self-correcting. If you just started visiting or have been for many years, I hope you have enjoyed the freedom that the site allows despite the occasional offense and peril that may have ensued.

20 years to be doing anything I think is a great accomplishment and shows it's here for the long term. I hope you find a project like this to work on that you feel as passionate about.

39654_moz_solo_king_cat_hollywood.jpg

Image for the 20 year anniversary created by King Cat Hollywood, limited edition T-shirts may be available shortly.
Thank you :blush:

"There is a light that never goes out" ..... Happy 20th Anniversary.
Would be nice if someone were to post something special in downloads to celebrate 20th Anniversary!!!!!

Congratulations. This is my favourite site for Mozz-related info by far, well, actually the only place I visit for Mozz info. Keep it up.

I've been known here in several guises over the years, since the late nineteen nineties. I've had the pleasure and displeasure in equal measure, of meeting some of the folks behind the message, both in the U.K and far flung Europe and the United States. This itself has been a unique life experience.

I was bloodthirsty for any Morrissey 'news' during the wilderness years and it was here and a site called Ambitious Outsiders that we would look - no snippet, fake sighting or unmaterialised gig 'rumours' too small. We kept the dream alive on the boards and in the chat room.

I don't do 'bookmarks' for reasons unknown so if I stop to consider how many times I've entered the URL for this place, over the last almost-20 years, my head starts to spin.

In fact this is probably the website I've visited most, and while the urgency for Moz news has wained a little over time, I still visit daily as opposed to thrice daily.

I've literally been coming here 'man and boy'. For any media to be and stay with you that long is an unprecedented achivement.

Well done David Tseng. Thank you for remaining a consistent part of my life for nearly two decades. And thanks to anyone in the community who put me up anywhere after a gig, very patiently put up with me during a visit, or sent me private messages in chat wishing my friends and relatives dead... you know who you are (or maybe not!)

I know the night I first heard about this site: Nov. 11, 1997. I was waiting in line to see Morrissey at the Jackie Gleason Theater in Miami, FL. The guy next to me in line said "oh you have to visit morrissey-solo." I've visited almost every day since then. Thanks David and all who help!

"There is a light that never goes out" ..... Happy 20th Anniversary.
Would be nice if someone were to post something special in downloads to celebrate 20th Anniversary!!!!!
Hi! Not sure what or where downloads is, but I have this...not objectively great...but my first Morrissey concert 20/8/2016 and very special to me! Hope it works...there should be a photo...:blush:
14054161_10154058995848073_5628521935244488917_n.jpg

Your work is hugely appreciated, David. Barely a day passes in which I don't check the site.

Thanks David, for all you do and for having the wonderful idea back in the ancient 1990's.

I used to hang out at alt.music.smiths back in the usenet days. I remember being so happy to find moz-solo.

There's too many people
Planning your downfall
When your spirit's on trial
These nights can be frightening
Sleep transports sadness
To some other mid-brain
And somebody here
Will not be here next year
So you stand by the board
Full of fear and intention
And, if you think that they're listening
Well, you've got to be joking
Oh, you understand change
And you think it's essential
But when your profession
Is humiliation
Say the wrong word to our children...
We'll have you, oh yes, we'll have you
Lay a hand on our children
And it's never too late to have you
Mucus on your collar
A nail up through the staff chair
A blade in your soap
And you cry into your pillow
To be finished would be a relief
Say the wrong word to our children...
We'll have you, oh yes, we'll have you
Lay a hand on our children
And it's never too late to have you

I'm very glad the spring has come
The sun shines out so bright
All the birds that are on the trees
Are singing for delight
Songwriters: MORRISSEY, MARTIN JAMES BOORER

David, thank you for all the hard work you do and keeping this site successfully running for so long now. I have been here nearly 17 years as a member and longer as a visitor. To think this all really started, for many of us, with the SYL fanzine 25 or 26 years ago...well, it is incredible. I will never forget meeting Russ and the others on that chilly November night back in 1992.

You've provided a place for Morrissey fans to come together for better or for worse. There have been many highs and lows, indeed. But, honestly, I wouldn't have it any other way! :). Happy 20th!

Yikes! I do suppose the first time I stumbled across this den of insanity, I was a young man with a full head of hair using the new-fangled internet at my local library. Things have changed over the years, most sadly, that full head of hair I mentioned. But M-solo has not. And I thank you.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom