Morrissey on BBC 6 Music Live 2017 (Oct. 2, 2017, Maida Vale, London) - reminder / reports

Setlist:

You Have Killed Me / I Wish You Lonely / Spent The Day In Bed / Speedway / Istanbul / Ganglord / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / Back On The Chain Gang / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / The Bullfighter Dies / When You Open Your Legs / Jack The Ripper / Home Is A Question Mark / All The Young People Must Fall In Love / My Love, I'd Do Anything for You (not played) / I'm Throwing My Arms Around Paris (not played)

Setlist provided by @NeilW70 / Twitter.

• BBC 6 Music Live video highlights (10 songs, UK only) - BBC iPlayer. Link posted by Jim_Royle.
  • Photos posted at BBC Radio 6 Music / Facebook (4 total)

40878_maida_vale_bbc6music.jpg

• From @NeilW70 / Twitter. Link posted by BrummieBoy.

Full #morrissey setlist at #maidavale. Looks like three more songs after went off air. Photo credit to @Dr_Paul_Thomas

40877_maida_vale_setlist.jpg
  • Link posted by an anonymous person:

Just a reminder poached from the BBC site for people wanting to watch/hear the show:

How to catch Moz tomorrow:

1) On the BBC website

Visit the BBC Radio 6 Music homepage at bbc.co.uk/6music to keep up-to-date with all the latest highlights from this year's 6 Music Live.

You'll be able to watch the live performances, plus an interview with Lauren, by visiting us from 11:30am each day.

Then, from 7pm each evening, you'll be able to watch each set on-demand, available for the following 30 days.

There'll also be a selection of video highlights and photos from all the acts available via the website.

2) On the BBC Red Button
Press Red from any BBC TV channel from midday each day to watch Morrissey, Mogwai, alt-J, Loyle Carner and Morrissey's sets live.

The performances will then be looped on Red Button, before a highlights programme goes live at 7pm.

There'll also be a special programme featuring the best bits from all the acts, available via the Red Button from Saturday 7 to Friday 13 October.

FULL RED BUTTON SCHEDULE (subject to change)

Monday 2 October: 12:00 - 16:15 / 19:00 - ongoing
Tuesday 3 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - 22:00 / 22:50 - ongoing
Wednesday 4 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - 15:45 / 19:00 - ongoing
Thursday 5 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - ongoing
Friday 6 October: ongoing - 12:00 / 12:00 - ongoing
Saturday 7 October: ongoing - 17:50 / 22:00 - ongoing
Sunday 8 October: ongoing - 12:20 / 16:30 - 17:50 / 23:40 - ongoing
Monday 9 October: ongoing - 09:00 / 21:05 - ongoing
Tuesday 10 October: ongoing - 09:00 / 17:00 - 22:00 / 22:50 - ongoing
Wednesday 11 October: ongoing - 18:00 / 23:00 - ongoing
Thursday 12 October: ongoing - ongoing
Friday 13 October: ongoing - 22:00

3) On the Radio
Lauren Laverne will be taking her 6 Music show to Maida Vale, 10:00-13:00, each morning, featuring special editions of Memory Tapes, interviews with all the artists, and more build-up, before the live performance from 12:00.
Listen live, or on-demand for 30 days after broadcast, by following the links below:
4) On Facebook

Keep an eye on our 6 Music Facebook page every day from 10:30am to see Lauren in conversation with some of our acts and guests. They'll also pick the tracks to go on their Memory Tapes.

5) On Instagram

We'll be backstage on Instagram Stories, showcasing all the best photos from each performance.

6) On Twitter

Follow the conversation and share reactions on Twitter, and see some of the best moments from each session

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited by a moderator:
Beyond being a political problem, Morrissey's anti-Muslim immigration stand is an artistic problem. The more that he says or writes these provocative statements, the less we can give him the benefit of the doubt about songs like "Bengali in Platforms" or "National Front Disco". Supporters have argued, for example, that the former is an expression of sympathy to an awkward person trying to "belong" in a world that is already "hard enough". But now I can't hear it any other way then as, "Hey Bengali, you don't belong here, so shelve your Western plans (That means, "Get the f*** out of this country!)". Similarly, I always thought that "National Front Disco" skated a brilliantly dangerous line by painting a portrait of a disaffected youth in thrall to fascism and alienated from his concerned family. I always heard "England for the English" as being sung in the voice of the racist youth. But now I hear Morrissey himself singing "English for the English" and pining for the (white Anglo-Saxon country) that he would like to live in someday (when the score is settled!).

Why would a artist want to diminish their own work in this way?
Make it mean whatever you want it to mean. None of what you said has any basis in common sense anyway so go hell for leather.

Good point. Muslims can be white. Going to Mecca and experiencing white Muslim brothers is what led Malcolm X to stop hating white people. I stand corrected.

Race is a social construct invented by the powerful in order to maintain power over the less powerful. We are all infected by the disease of racism. The best thing we can do is recognize the disease and stop spreading it!

Europeans are obsessed with the term racist. It is so bizarre. There is such a thing as not liking a religion. I think the Muslim religion is weird as hell. People are entitled to have a belief. You slap the word racist as mind control.

Beyond being a political problem, Morrissey's anti-Muslim immigration stand is an artistic problem. The more that he says or writes these provocative statements, the less we can give him the benefit of the doubt about songs like "Bengali in Platforms" or "National Front Disco". Supporters have argued, for example, that the former is an expression of sympathy to an awkward person trying to "belong" in a world that is already "hard enough". But now I can't hear it any other way then as, "Hey Bengali, you don't belong here, so shelve your Western plans (That means, "Get the f*** out of this country!)". Similarly, I always thought that "National Front Disco" skated a brilliantly dangerous line by painting a portrait of a disaffected youth in thrall to fascism and alienated from his concerned family. I always heard "England for the English" as being sung in the voice of the racist youth. But now I hear Morrissey himself singing "English for the English" and pining for the (white Anglo-Saxon country) that he would like to live in someday (when the score is settled!).

Why would a artist want to diminish their own work in this way?

Alternately, Bengali In Platforms could mean "your own culture is superior to the one you are thinking of joining." Hence the highlighting of a lemon sole and ankle star.

And National Front Disco, being based on Buford's Among the Thugs, could be a character piece and "England for the English" is definitely sung in quotes.

Actually, I do sometimes wonder if National Front Disco is actually about Bowie, his famous Nazi salute, and change of musical tack. Hence "Davy".

Malcolm X was shot by Muslims.

Race is a social construct? You mean there is no such thing as race?
LOL after you have been calling peeps here racist there is NO race? 'the best thing is to recognize', WTF have you considered taking up your own advice.

What I am saying is not out of my ass. Take a class. Read a book.

Scientific American on "race is a social construct"
https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/race-is-a-social-construct-scientists-argue/

Just because "race" has no real scientific meaning doesn't mean that it doesn't have cultural meaning. Obviously people categorize other people into "races" and have attitudes about them based on these social constructs.

Just when you thought Solo couldn't get anymore political. I used to get the blame for this place exploding in political debate.

Now I just wanna have fun when I visit this place and I follow Moz's advice to not watch the news.

Europeans are obsessed with the term racist. It is so bizarre. There is such a thing as not liking a religion. I think the Muslim religion is weird as hell. People are entitled to have a belief. You slap the word racist as mind control.
People seem to either forget or purposely remain ignorant of the fact that islam was born from the warped mind of a conquering warlord who started it with a death march and he himself murdered 600 people. This is the person they worship. If you aren't islamaphobic then start now.

Now call me racist :)

Just when you thought Solo couldn't get anymore political. I used to get the blame for this place exploding in political debate.

Now I just wanna have fun when I visit this place and I follow Moz's advice to not watch the news.
Say I'd just like to have fun too, but Morrissey keeps saying stupid shit and ruining it for us!

Say I'd just like to have fun too, but Morrissey keeps saying stupid shit and ruining it for us!

But when did his words ever mean anything real?

He has made a whole career out of keeping people in doubt over what he said and really meant which is of course always up for debate. The fans turned it into a religion to try and understand him.

Having said that he is old now and when young he was a leftist and most people turn conservative with age. But that only goes for what happens in Britain cause when in America he seems to back the anarchists against the police and the president and everything else.

He is probably just bored with the state of affairs at the moment and who can blame him?

People seem to either forget or purposely remain ignorant of the fact that islam was born from the warped mind of a conquering warlord who started it with a death march and he himself murdered 600 people. This is the person they worship. If you aren't islamaphobic then start now.

Now call me racist :)

Well, seeking to demonise people based on their cultural background can count as racist, so yes it looks like you may be being a bit racist there.

Glad to oblige.

Alternately, Bengali In Platforms could mean "your own culture is superior to the one you are thinking of joining." Hence the highlighting of a lemon sole and ankle star.

And National Front Disco, being based on Buford's Among the Thugs, could be a character piece and "England for the English" is definitely sung in quotes.

Actually, I do sometimes wonder if National Front Disco is actually about Bowie, his famous Nazi salute, and change of musical tack. Hence "Davy".

Yes, you are making my point for me. Both of these songs "could be" as subtle and innocuous as you claim, but Morrissey's pro-UKIP, pro-Le Pen and generally anti-immigrant rants put those readings in doubt.

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” ~Maya Angelou

Yes, you are making my point for me. Both of these songs "could be" as subtle and innocuous as you claim, but Morrissey's pro-UKIP, pro-Le Pen and generally anti-immigrant rants put those readings in doubt.

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.” ~Maya Angelou

Well, I'm not sure I am. Both were written long before the context you are quoting them in. Ambiguity is in the eye of the beholder, of course.

one of M's favorite poems,but somehow still people point their fingers... :crazy:

by ~Maya Angelou

No No No No

No
the two-legg’d beasts
that walk like men
play stink finger in their crusty asses
while crackling babies
in napalm coats
stretch mouths to receive
burning tears
on splitting tongues
JUST GIVE ME A COOL DRINK OF WATER ‘FORE I DIIIE

No
the gap-legg’d whore
of the eastern shore
enticing Europe to COME
in her
and turns her pigeon-shit back to me
to me
who stoked the coal that drove the ships
which brought her over the sinuous cemetery
of my many brothers

No
the cocktailed afternoons
of what can I do.
In my white layered pink world
I’ve let your men cram my mouth
with their black throbbing hate
and I swallowed after
I’ve let your mammies
steal from my kitchens
(I was always half-amused)
I’ve chuckled the chins of
your topsy-haired pickaninnies.
What more can I do?
I’ll never be black like you.
(HALLELUJAH)

No
the red-shoed priests riding
palanquined
in barefoot children country
the plastered saints gazing down
beneficently
on kneeling mothers
picking undigested beans
from yesterday’s shit.

I have waited
toes curled, hat rolled
heart and genitals
in hand
on the back porches
of forever
in the kitchens and fields
of rejections
on the cold marble steps
of America’s White Out-House
in the drop seats of buses
and the open flies of war

No more
the dream that you
will cease haunting me
down in fetid swamps of fear
and will turn to embrace your own
humanity
which I AM

No more
the hope that
the razored insults
which mercury-slide over your tongue
will be forgotten
and you will learn the words of love
Mother Brother Father Sister Lover Friend

My hopes
dying slowly
rose petals falling
beneath an autumn red moon
will not adorn your unmarked graves

My dreams
lying quietly
a dark pool under the trees
will not carry your name
to a forgetful shore
And what a pity

What a pity
that pity has folded in upon itself
an old man’s mouth
whose teeth are gone
and I have no pity.

Last edited:

Also, by picking out only two songs, you seem to be ignoring every other song in the canon that is clearly very left-liberal in intent.

one of M's favorite poems,but somehow still people point their fingers... :crazy:

by ~Maya Angelou

No No No No

No
the two-legg’d beasts
that walk like men
play stink finger in their crusty asses
while crackling babies
in napalm coats
stretch mouths to receive
burning tears
on splitting tongues
JUST GIVE ME A COOL DRINK OF WATER ‘FORE I DIIIE

No
the gap-legg’d whore
of the eastern shore
enticing Europe to COME
in her
and turns her pigeon-shit back to me
to me
who stoked the coal that drove the ships
which brought her over the sinuous cemetery
of my many brothers

No
the cocktailed afternoons
of what can I do.
In my white layered pink world
I’ve let your men cram my mouth
with their black throbbing hate
and I swallowed after
I’ve let your mammies
steal from my kitchens
(I was always half-amused)
I’ve chuckled the chins of
your topsy-haired pickaninnies.
What more can I do?
I’ll never be black like you.
(HALLELUJAH)

No
the red-shoed priests riding
palanquined
in barefoot children country
the plastered saints gazing down
beneficently
on kneeling mothers
picking undigested beans
from yesterday’s shit.

I have waited
toes curled, hat rolled
heart and genitals
in hand
on the back porches
of forever
in the kitchens and fields
of rejections
on the cold marble steps
of America’s White Out-House
in the drop seats of buses
and the open flies of war

No more
the dream that you
will cease haunting me
down in fetid swamps of fear
and will turn to embrace your own
humanity
which I AM

No more
the hope that
the razored insults
which mercury-slide over your tongue
will be forgotten
and you will learn the words of love
Mother Brother Father Sister Lover Friend

My hopes
dying slowly
rose petals falling
beneath an autumn red moon
will not adorn your unmarked graves

My dreams
lying quietly
a dark pool under the trees
will not carry your name
to a forgetful shore
And what a pity

What a pity
that pity has folded in upon itself
an old man’s mouth
whose teeth are gone
and I have no pity.

Comes across as an old lady being bitter and not sexually desireable anymore and instead of words she could have had sexual pleasure to make her life become colour tv again.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom