Morrissey interview by Michael Deacon in The Daily Telegraph

Michael Deacon writes:

I recently interviewed Morrissey for the Daily Telegraph. My piece has been published this morning online. It'll appear in print tomorrow, Saturday June 18.

Morrissey interview: heaven knows he's (a bit) less miserable now
At 52, Morrissey is among the top draws in two major music festivals – but he doesn’t have a record deal. Michael Deacon meets the ever-outspoken singer.

mozkittenweb_1922844c.jpg

[SUB]How soon is miaow? Morrissey with a kitten, photographed at Battersea Dogs' and Cats' Home in May 2011. Photo: Andy Fallon[/SUB]​

I also used parts of the transcript to create these three Q&As:

Morrissey on... his musical heroes
Morrissey talks about the music scene of 1970s New York, and how it influenced him and his work.

Morrissey on... Lady Gaga and modern pop
Morrissey gives his views on Lady Gaga, Adele and pop music today.

Morrissey on... privacy, the Queen and The Smiths
Morrissey talks about privacy for the famous, the Royal family, and his former band.

mozcatweb_1922814c.jpg

[SUB]Morrissey, photographed at Battersea Dogs' and Cats' Home in May 2011. Photo: Andy Fallon[/SUB]​

See also forum thread posted by goinghome:

Telegraph's Interview & Q&A with Morrissey

Last edited:
Well if you're not reforming the smiths , then please for the love of god get new musicians and stop taking your fans for the ride.

Or retire. .

Wow, has it only just got through to you that will Smiths will not reform?

"Daily Telegraph: Morrissey, thank you very much for talking to us. A pleasure.
Morrissey: They all say that, and then they trot back home and write a horrible piece about how I want to fry the Prime Minister.
Daily Telegraph: But you do want to fry the Prime Minister, don’t you?
Morrissey: Well, that’s another conversation for another day…"

I really don't laugh out loud too often when reading, but when I read this, I cackled. God, I love Morrissey. Pure genius and has NEVER let me down, not once. NEVER! He is great, his songs are great, his bands are great and his fans, well, most of them are great.

Well if you're not reforming the smiths , then please for the love of god get new musicians and stop taking your fans for the ride.

Or retire.

If you have not read comments on the three new tracks then you should be pointed in the right direction and take note. Don't take your fans as lack-of-intelligent-fools.

The tripe that you're currently churning out is embarrasing.

Go now before your legacy is tarnished forever.

The day Morrissey starts taking advice from his fans, especially this one is the day I'll stop listening to him. Yes those 3 new songs are sub par but they don't spell the end of the world for Morrissey. How about a little forgiveness for your supposed hero huh?

The photos are gorgeous. Great interview and even the Q&As were informative.

I give the writer credit. He did his research, went in and bravely asked him whatever he wanted. I think Morrissey respected that and responded accordingly.

Bravo.

I agree and yes we are all doing our research :)

The day Morrissey starts taking advice from his fans, especially this one is the day I'll stop listening to him. Yes those 3 new songs are sub par but they don't spell the end of the world for Morrissey. How about a little forgiveness for your supposed hero huh?

Then you can stop right now, because he is highly influenced by what certain of his fans say.

Lovely. Thanks for that! Morrissey looks like he's holding my Alex when he was a baby in that first picture :o

I also loved the photos.The interview was fantastic.It reminds of why I love Morrissey so much.He`s just awesome.

Lovely pics, great interview and interviewer - obviously thoughtful and considered in his approach for once.
Its made my day.

The photos are gorgeous. Great interview and even the Q&As were informative.

I give the writer credit. He did his research, went in and bravely asked him whatever he wanted. I think Morrissey respected that and responded accordingly.

Bravo.

I couldn't agree more - its made my day

witty , amusing and an excellent morrissey interview . one of the best morrissey interviews i have had the pleasure to read . thanks for the initial links and the daily telegraph (i dont usually praise the press but on this occasion ............. i'll make an exception) for an interview where morrissey as not been set up by the interviewer to provoke certain answers and thus media enhanced sensationalism . i found my self laughing to myself by the end of the interview . welcome back morrissey the genius .... though you have never been away .

“You don’t need to have been down a pit to know that it’s dirty.”

Ha ha! Made me laugh out loud..good ol' Mozzer!!!

Somebody somewhere in 'record company-land' fetch a big bag of money so Moz can get his record made!

What a fantastic interview, Morrissey spoke very candidly about music, the media and the state of England at present. Well informed questions, so often I read interviews with Morrissey and he gets asked very dull uninteresting questions, so this was a breath of fresh air. I don't normally buy newspapers (as they are usually filled with tripe), but today I will make an exception.

Beautiful photographs to accompany the article. The first one made me smile, it looks like he is holding my cat Alice when she was a kitten. She is sitting here next to me, while I type this, and I read aloud to her the section about Morrisseys love of cats, she was delighted.

I wonder if he adopted any cats while he was at Battersea Dogs and Cats home. Bet he was very tempted.

Nice job! Thoughtful questions, fine photos, and the additional Q&A is much appreciated. I hope the creatures at the Battersea Dogs' and Cats' home benefitted somehow from the visit.

Yes, Morrissey does come across as "splenetic" in print, and it's a nice touch on the writer's part to mention the soft voice and reasonable tone. It's always been an interesting disconnect, and it's good journalism to make note of it.

I hadn't seen Moz as Ted Hughes, but now that you mention it...

Nice job! Thoughtful questions, fine photos, and the additional Q&A is much appreciated. I hope the creatures at the Battersea Dogs' and Cats' home benefitted somehow from the visit.

Yes, Morrissey does come across as "splenetic" in print, and it's a nice touch on the writer's part to mention the soft voice and reasonable tone. It's always been an interesting disconnect, and it's good journalism to make note of it.

So is this your entry back to the forums to grace us with endless drivel on pseudo science? You do not have many nice things to say about Morrissey, do you, but you always sugar coat it with a few "positive" words here and there, not about Morrissey himself however, to keep the facade.

So is this your entry back to the forums to grace us with endless drivel on pseudo science? You do not have many nice things to say about Morrissey, do you, but you always sugar coat it with a few "positive" words here and there, not about Morrissey himself however, to keep the facade.

Well, it's nice to see that I finally have my very own stalker. :) Where in my last post did any "pseudo science" rear its ugly head? I suppose that every time I post here I'm going to have to immediately defend myself against charges of being a Mason, or a troll, or something equally bizarre.

As for Morrissey himself, I think I've made it quite plain that I think he's the greatest singer/lyricist of his generation: that he is a singular, archetypal pop musical genius that we are all very lucky to have in our lives. He is also human, and his abilities wax and wane; when he's on top form I've deliriously praised him to the skies, when I think he's a bit off his usual high standards, I've noted that too.

Now, where did I put that eye of newt... ;)

"...generally it’s thought I pieced Hop Farm together but I didn’t, I simply joined in. So it isn’t a Morrissey Meltdown. It isn’t me gathering together all the people I love. It’s just a coincidence that most of the people I greatly admire."

Not buying that at all. Are we to suppose Brother, Mary Coughlan, Magazine, Damien Dempsey etc all find themselves on the main stage by coincidence too? haha

I think we are supposed to think this, but I did not think this either. :)

Strange, he comes over as an absolute fake to me, probably can't get over himself,how many years he has got away with it.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom