"Morrissey hasn't changed" by Mark Simpson - The Spectator

Nothing's changed? Are the 80s really no different from the beginning of the 21st century? Are the riots no different? Attitudes towards royalty? The Tories? The recession? Morrissey? Simpson is correct in ONE sense that nothing's changed - he's still writing in the same tabloid caricature soundbite way about Morrissey (and himself). Another project, Mark?

I didn't misunderstand anything - Mark Simpson has amended his blog posts, which originally claimed the 80s was the 'last decade of the 19th century' (!) and he has left the 2005 release date for ROTT in place!

He's a very drab and childish writer. Dull indeed.

The Spectator is not a blog ("!").

And you really think Mark Simpson is personally altering things on the Spectator's site?

It's irrelevant that he had an album release date incorrect by a few months. It may not have even been his error.

You have childish ideas of how media function.

There's always something masturbatory about Simpson's writing.

Did he write that Saint Morrissey book? That was awful. The only good bits in it were the actual Morrissey quotes, the rest (to my untrained eye) was bollocks. Self-indulgent shit. Was it masturbatory? I don't know, I was 17 when I got it, I was wanking anyway.

Did he write that Saint Morrissey book? That was awful. The only good bits in it were the actual Morrissey quotes, the rest (to my untrained eye) was bollocks. Self-indulgent shit. Was it masturbatory? I don't know, I was 17 when I got it, I was wanking anyway.

Are you as unfunny in real life as you are on the Internet? Do you try as hard to be funny when you're around actual human beings?

I think the poster meant Simpson's style is like masturbation (which it is) not that it makes you do it! The guy's a narcissist who gets a hard on looking in the mirror - you can almost hear him stroking himself off in admiration of his own writing.

While Margaret Thatcher owned the 80s ?
Embarrassed by his antics ? Unafraid to speak their mind ?
Morrissey hasn't changed ?
Mark Simpson ?

Morrissey has been speaking to you in a career that has outlived Westlife. Thankfully.

The 80s are over. No more pantomime videos and no more discussions >on< the video - how true that was.
No more Lloyd Cole. No more Margaret Thatcher and no more Mike Joyce - Heaven Knows I'm Not Miserable Now as someone
once wrote.

So, has Morrissey mellowed with age ?

Morrissey is obviously entitled to give his view on any aspect of life (or so low) just as Mark Simpson is allowed to give his view.
but in my opinion Morrissey is only expressing a view that is close to the hearts of many people over here in the UK. It takes guts to stand up, to be different, to tell the truth and finally to poke fun at society and the establishment.

Morrissey has proven (again) that he can survive without the support of the music press and without a record label. As 2013 approaches though, it would be nice to see Morrissey on a major label backed with some quality and promotion.

Morrissey hasn't changed ?

Morrissey changed musically - for the better - when he joined Boz Boorer, one of the greatest musicians the world has heard and seen but not awarded. Oh yes. Leaving 'the wilderness years' behind, enter the fantastic 'You Are The Quarry', Ringleader Of the Tormentors' and 'Years of Refusal.' Thanks to Boz Boorer and others under the radar - not just Alain (White) and Tony (Visconti) - three of the most creative and musically entertaining albums of Morrissey's entire career appeared as if by magic. Mark Simpson know's very well therefore that Morrissey has changed the same as we have all changed, the same as one day so-low will change - dear god please let it be quick judging from the idiots that appear here each day of our lives.

And finally as Morrissey himself said "it is a question of what i do, and how people react to what i do. In truth, I often don't know what I do, other than turn up and "be." Accidentally, I tie it all up together with identity." Humble. Genius?

England 2012.

Morrissey is only expressing a view that is close to the hearts of many people over here in the UK. It takes guts to stand up, to be different, to tell the truth and finally to poke fun at society and the establishment.

With almost thirty years in the music industry under his belt, legions of worshipping fans, gold discs aplenty and a small fortune in the bank, Morrissey IS "the establishment".

Back
Top Bottom