Morrissey - from rock genius to internet troll - Guardian article

Uncleskinny

It's all good
Subscriber
http://www.guardian.co.uk/lifeandst...2/dec/13/morrissey-rock-genius-internet-troll

2ihpfn5.jpg

P.

It's sad the Guardian has nothing better to do - I wonder if the columnist in question was sober when he wrote this ( not that I'm judging ... of course)... ?

The Guardian just love using Morrissey's name to increase their click-through views.

Well, yes, but to be fair I first spotted it after buying the newspaper, and happening upon the article. But I take your point about those not being able to read the admittedly poor-quality phone pic who rely on the online link.

P.

Well, yes, but to be fair I first spotted it after buying the newspaper, and happening upon the article. But I take your point about those not being able to read the admittedly poor-quality phone pic who rely on the online link.

P.

No, it wasn't about the quality of your phone pic - sorry if you thought it was. I guess my point is that newspapers are having fewer sales of their paper copies and are relying more on a click-through model of showing their value by the amount of people clicking the link or sharing the story on social media - doesn't matter if they agree with it or not. I am suggesting that Morrissey's name is a media commodity - and the Guardian use it knowing that it will get readers to their stories. I don't think they should pretend to be so outrage by his comments.

It's sad the Guardian has nothing better to do - I wonder if the columnist in question was sober when he wrote this ( not that I'm judging ... of course)... ?

Judging by their Top 20 tracks of the year the Guardian music section spend far too much time powdering their noses in the office toilets.

Morrissey only says these things to earn column inches, don't diss the papers for playing along, it's their part of the game.

I'm sick of seeing Moz in the press for all the wrong reasons, I want to see him in The Guardian arts review section getting 5 stars for his new f***ing album not for some stuff he said in an interview from the other side of the world

Troll Personality of the Year: Awarded to Morrissey for a record breaking n'th time!

In 1976 Morrissey could have died his hair pink and ranted about the Royals for a few weeks. He chose not to cuz he didn't want to upset his mum. He's never forgiven himself for not being a real punk rocker and his every move on that topic since has been over-compensating and trying to be as bad-arse as Lydon. Even "i'd like to drop my trousers to the Queen" was a bit of a tiresome yawn. But Lydon's moved on to butter adds and a more nuanced view of the Royals. Morrissey is stuck on the naughty step with is dunce hat on.

Once you have kids, you can't help but want to put them first, make it easier for them. Within reason that's human nature, but when it ends up with a Tory Norman Royalist clique shafting everyone else to preserve their wealth, there's a problem. However, Morrissey is in no moral position to comment on any of this unless and until he clarifies his tax status. If he's been a tax-exile for a decade or two, his rantings belong on the ex-pat page of the Telegraph along with all the other losers in bars in Marbella and Pattaya.

He's a fraud on challenging Royal privilege as he bottled playing Bangkok with it's lese majeste laws which would have seen him imprisoned if he'd have dissed their royalty or perhaps even British royalty as their laws are so strict. He prattles on with his ill-informed nonsense about pregnancy and appears almost OCD about dissing the Royal Family. He's like a pantomime dame who just wants to stop Cinderella Middleton going to the ball. He now looks old, ugly, bitter and twisted when he contorts, grimaces and gurns on that video railing against the British Royals in New Zealand of all places. I'm sure they can make up their own minds without his risible input.

There's no evidence of him having any meaningful involvement in actual political activity to bring about a Republican Britain. He was borderline genius, now he's borderline crazy. He is a troll, has been since he crossed the line and trashed an orphan African boy for a cheap joke. Viva Hate. Viva Kate: he gets the fans he deserves, some of whom are trolls and some of whom genuinely love him and share his every neurotic insight as cult teachings.

Digital technology is great fun. If he ever releases any new music, I can quickly scan the lyrics and delete any songs which share his ridiculous political posturings without even listening. Those that showcase his beautiful voice emoting his seemingly tragic inability to form meaningful relationships with other human beings I will always be intrigued to hear. There's nothing that wrong with being a misanthrope, a relationship loser or a tax-efficient ex-pat whose only goal in life is personal fame and adulation by a bunch of equally emotionally and mentally challenged 'fans'. But if Morrissey can't be honest about who he is, he certainly can't hack the discipline of engaging with a critical Audience who will not play along with delusional cult 'pop star' tropes from a balding middle-aged embittered man who can't pull. Given his preposterous musings, he must expect to be ridiculed by gatekeepers and tastemakers like Petridis. And me.

It's been a long run with Morrissey. He's addicted to the spotlight, addicted to his cult level of fame, and deeply embittered that he didn't have the talent, ambition and work ethic to reach the level of fame he so transparently envies in Madonna. She, too, has her loopy moments but appears to have some insight into the fact that people are starting to laugh at her, not with her: that the sight of desperate Boomers 'rebelling' in front of their £10 M&S Meal Deal Middle-Management peer audience is a flatulent pantomime travesty of original dreams. Morrissey is simply too delusional and narcissistic to allow such an insight into his absurd predicament. As are most of his demented 'fans'. They deserve each other.

It's great fun to watch, but who'd actually want to live it? Morrissey is troll of the year. Once again. Kind of sad that he has nothing else to offer now but a rather desperate comedic entertainment value.

I was listening to 'Vauxhall and I' earlier today. It's just such a wonderful record. It's amazing he made it after the implosion of The Smiths. Everything else has been a falling away, but that's no problem. He made a brace of great records as part of The Smiths art collective and managed another one with other collaborators. That more than most achieve. It's a shame he didn't have the sense to understand he'd reached that pinnacle and that he continues to thrash around in this bitter quicksand, desperately insisting that it's anything other than his own creative and intellectual redunancy. Barring a miracle, The Morrissey Story is over.

Meretricious. And a happy new year. Etc. :thumb:

Re: Troll Personality of the Year: Awarded to Morrissey for a record breaking n'th ti

Just look at the guy who wrote that article. Look at him for a second...actually look at him.

Pretty much kills any credibility as far as I'm concerned.

Re: Troll Personality of the Year: Awarded to Morrissey for a record breaking n'th ti

Just look at the guy who wrote that article. Look at him for a second...actually look at him.

Pretty much kills any credibility as far as I'm concerned.

I thought exactly the same thing , Skylarker but didn't think it was fair or proper to say so ... :confused:

No , check that ; it was possibly his appearance that prompted my remark about sobriety in the first place

Last edited:
I'm sick of seeing Moz in the press for all the wrong reasons, I want to see him in The Guardian arts review section getting 5 stars for his new f***ing album not for some stuff he said in an interview from the other side of the world
Damn right Mozza.

It makes me laugh how the press always go on about what an idiot Morrissey is, and how irrelevent he is. Yet every time he says the slightest thing they go on and on about it, making them seem more obsessed in my opinion than the majority of the fans. Judging from their articles, they all hate Morrissey and yet they write these articles over and over. If they hate him and don't care about him them wouldn't it make more sense to ignore him and also stop asking him questions about the royals in every frigging interview?

As for Justin Bieber, does he even have testicles?

The comments from Morrissey regarding Middleton are a complete embarassment.

How I long for the days when he made such incisive comments on matters such as the Brighton bombing,moners strike, etc.

Sadly he now seems obsessed by the Royal family whom working class Britons pay no attention to whatsoever.

I'm not sure what milage can be got from ridiculing the inset photo of the writer. Unfortunately what he says is spot on. The only thing that Moz gets in the press for is being the pop equivalent of someone with mental health issues shouting at people on the top deck of the 226.
Despising the royals is fine but as a basis for arguing against a monarchy it's useless.

I'm not sure what milage can be got from ridiculing the inset photo of the writer. Unfortunately what he says is spot on. The only thing that Moz gets in the press for is being the pop equivalent of someone with mental health issues shouting at people on the top deck of the 226.
Despising the royals is fine but as a basis for arguing against a monarchy it's useless.

I don't know that anyone was looking for mileage or , indeed, making any particularly serious points. Rather , I suppose it may have felt almost predictable, given the "hipster-slacker" contrivance of the writer's appearance , what attitude his column would take ?

I don't know that anyone was looking for mileage or , indeed, making any particularly serious points. Rather , I suppose it may have felt almost predictable, given the "hipster-slacker" contrivance of the writer's appearance , what attitude his column would take ?
I think the column deals with show business gossip so it's not suprising that he would write about this interview.
I'm not sure what you mean when you mention ""hipster-slacker" contrivance ", it just a bloke with a bit of facial growth, can't see any contrivance myself.
Anyway, as Mozza said in an earlier post, "I'm sick of seeing Moz in the press for all the wrong reasons, I want to see him in The Guardian arts review section getting 5 stars for his new f***ing album not for some stuff he said in an interview from the other side of the world".

... Sadly he now seems obsessed by the Royal family whom working class Britons pay no attention to whatsoever.

And this is how subtle institutional oppression works and why it continues to work.

Wake up friends. And see the barriers that seemingly do not affect you.

Back
Top Bottom