Morrissey and Stephen Street re-collaborating? All of the rumours...

Maurice E

Of all the bits of Morrissey news from the last 15 years, nothing for me compares with the prospect of Morrissey and Street writing a new batch of songs together.
There is yet another (admittedly not wholly convincing) rumour to add to the previous ones. First, let's recap:
Rumour number 1 - it's not really a rumour at all. We know for certain that Street and Morrissey met up in late 2010 for the first time since the BD era. The following was reported on Street's website:
"Oh, and one other thing. I recently met up with a certain Mr Morrissey for the first time in nearly 20 years. I think we were both apprehensive about meeting but after 5 minutes we were getting on so well it was truly a magical moment. I am so pleased to have met up with someone who has been such a big part of my musical journey after a prolonged period of time and I hope we can stay true friends for ever."

Rumour number 2 - Morrissey's mum via Twitter (nota bené - it might not have actually been Morrissey's mum) claimed last summer that he'd got back together with an old songwriting partner (or words to that efffect). Morrissey's mum generally turned out to be pretty reliable in all 'she' predicted.

Rumour number 3 - When asked if Street had written the new songs, Boorer said something like "no, these ones weren't written by Street" with the implication (in my ridiculously optimistic mind) that other new songs may well have been.

And finally, Rumour Number 4 (as reported by 'Southport Grandma), Street recently (Dec 2011) added the following to his web log " have a very exciting session planned for the new year but will tell you about that when it actually gets into action! Until then it just remains for me to wish you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas and New Year!".

We probably can't read too much into this particular one, but these are desperate times! If they were about to recorrd together, I don't think Morrissey would want Street to break the news (gently) via his website.
Anyway, I'm really, really hoping there's something in all of this. Imagine the difference to Morrissey's chances of success if he had a classic Morrissey/Street single up his sleeve (EDILS, Playboys, Suedehead, heck - even Ouija Board) rather than the likes of People Are The Same Everywhere...

Last edited:
Let's all pray and hope! I'd give anything for Morrissey to play more Viva Hate and Bona Drag stuff! Please Please Please!!

Of all the bits of Morrissey news from the last 15 years, nothing for me compares with the prospect of Morrissey and Street writing a new batch of songs together.
There is yet another (admittedly not wholly convincing) rumour to add to the previous ones. First, let's recap:
Rumour number 1 - it's not really a rumour at all. We know for certain that Street and Morrissey met up in late 2010 for the first time since the BD era. The following was reported on Street's website:
"Oh, and one other thing. I recently met up with a certain Mr Morrissey for the first time in nearly 20 years. I think we were both apprehensive about meeting but after 5 minutes we were getting on so well it was truly a magical moment. I am so pleased to have met up with someone who has been such a big part of my musical journey after a prolonged period of time and I hope we can stay true friends for ever."

Rumour number 2 - Morrissey's mum via Twitter (nota bené - it might not have actually been Morrissey's mum) claimed last summer that he'd got back together with an old songwriting partner (or words to that efffect). Morrissey's mum generally turned out to be pretty reliable in all 'she' predicted.

Rumour number 3 - When asked if Street had written the new songs, Boorer said something like "no, these ones weren't written by Street" with the implication (in my ridiculously optimistic mind) that other new songs may well have been.

And finally, Rumour Number 4 (as reported by 'Southport Grandma), Street recently (Dec 2011) added the following to his web log " have a very exciting session planned for the new year but will tell you about that when it actually gets into action! Until then it just remains for me to wish you all a very happy and peaceful Christmas and New Year!".

We probably can't read too much into this particular one, but these are desperate times! If they were about to recorrd together, I don't think Morrissey would want Street to break the news (gently) via his website.
Anyway, I'm really, really hoping there's something in all of this. Imagine the difference to Morrissey's chances of success if he had a classic Morrissey/Street single up his hands (EDILS, Playboys, Suedehead, heck - even Ouija Board) rather than the likes of People Are The Same Everywhere...

Add to your desperate mind that I keep seeing signs that Steven's going to call me..."Esteban Calle mi"...Steven Street. :straightface: FML.

Anyway, I'm really, really hoping there's something in all of this. Imagine the difference to Morrissey's chances of success if he had a classic Morrissey/Street single up his sleeve (EDILS, Playboys, Suedehead, heck - even Ouija Board) rather than the likes of People Are The Same Everywhere...

Oh my goodness, things are truly desperate when we're reading the tea leaves hoping Stephen Street comes back into the fold. :rolleyes:

Especially since we all know Vini Reilly is responsible for the music on "Viva Hate". :guitar:

Kidding aside, yes, it would be a welcome return. I'd rather have a poor man's Johnny Marr than more from a poor man's Phil Collen. But who cares? A 2012 collaboration between Street and Morrissey is about as likely as one between Lennon and McCartney.

A collaboration between Morrissey and The Streets, however...

Last edited:
Add to your desperate mind that I keep seeing signs that Steven's going to call me..."Esteban Calle mi"...Steven Street. :straightface: FML.

You spelled Stephen wrong. (Stephen Street spells it THIS WAY.) Touché.

Especially since we all know Vini Reilly is responsible for the music on "Viva Hate". :guitar:

and did The Smiths back catalogue....who knows what he wrote or what he did. I'm facinated to know.
He may have wrote some songs that we have no idea about...

I don't think there ever was a rumour but I'd rather have Alain Whyte anyway but if we can't get that I will look forward to a Tobias/Boorer only co-written Moz Album.

Oh my goodness, things are truly desperate when we're reading the tea leaves hoping Stephen Street comes back into the fold. :rolleyes:
Kidding aside, yes, it would be a welcome return. I'd rather have a poor man's Johnny Marr than more from a poor man's Phil Collen. But who cares? A 2012 collaboration between Street and Morrissey is about as likely as one between Lennon and McCartney.

Well, the rationale behind this thread is that it isn't actually that unlikely. On balance, I'd say it probably still won't happen but there's a 40% chance it will. If Street has written some new songs for Morrissey, it's a bit surprising that he didn't play any last year.
For anyone saying that they'd prefer Whyte to come back, well, I'd like him back too but would prefer Street. Whyte wrote lots of good songs but, unlike Street, he also wrote tons of mediocre stuff (including Morrissey's two worst ever singles - Dagenham Dave and Roy's Keen). As for Street being a poor man's Johnny Marr, take a look at the following. It's the consensus from the fans (i.e. us lot) about the best singles Morrissey's ever sung:

1) Everyday Is Like Sunday 9,53 (Morrissey/Street)
2) This Charming Man 9,50 (Morrissey/Marr)
3) Suedehead 9,52 (Morrissey/Street)
4) The Last Of The Famous International Playboys 9,44 (Morrissey/Street)
5) Last Night I Dreamt That Somebody Loved Me 9,42 (Morrissey/Marr)

Last edited:
Wonderful rumours

I lately listened a lot to my Cranberries collection which I hadn’t touched for quite a while. Street’s production is wonderful, even on the much critized latter work with the band. The first two albums have bright & sparkling melodies which would have fitted Morrissey. The Hogan brothers &. Stephen Street together could breath new life in Morrissey’s muiscal partnerships.
Don't need another ridicolous romp by Tobias. Something more jangling & shining would truly be fine.

Re: Wonderful rumours

I lately listened a lot to my Cranberries collection which I hadn’t touched for quite a while. Street’s production is wonderful, even on the much critized latter work with the band. The first two albums have bright & sparkling melodies which would have fitted Morrissey. The Hogan brothers &. Stephen Street together could breath new life in Morrissey’s muiscal partnerships.
Don't need another ridicolous romp by Tobias. Something more jangling & shining would truly be fine.
I'd love to hear the Moz with an orchestra. Wouldn't it be great to have 'Lost' re-recorded with a proper string section as opposed to the cheapo synth.

Jangling and shining is a nice way of describing Street's work. I don't think his production would be quite enough though. We'd really need his magical melodies in there too. Most of the Street songs sound fantastic even without the singing.

I'd love to hear the Moz with an orchestra. Wouldn't it be great to have 'Lost' re-recorded with a proper string section as opposed to the cheapo synth.

Yes, Lost is a gorgeous song and it would indeed be amazing to hear it played with a proper string section. The diversity of instruments, especially the strings, was another wonderful facet of Street's work (especially on Angel and Will Never Marry). Although we've had string sections on the occasional post-Street song (e.g. Work of Art and Kegs Between Legs), they were too low in the mix or not good enough songs for them to make much of an impact.

Yes, Lost is a gorgeous song and it would indeed be amazing to hear it played with a proper string section. The diversity of instruments, especially the strings, was another wonderful facet of Street's work (especially on Angel and Will Never Marry). Although we've had string sections on the occasional post-Street song (e.g. Work of Art and Kegs Between Legs), they were too low in the mix or not good enough songs for them to make much of an impact.
Maurice E, is 'Never Played Symphonies' performed with a real orchestra?

Maurice E, is 'Never Played Symphonies' performed with a real orchestra?

Don't think it is but really wish it was.
I think all the orchestral parts from the Quarry sessions (Never Played, Camden, any others?) were just synth strings.

Don't think it is but really wish it was.
I think all the orchestral parts from the Quarry sessions (Never Played, Camden, any others?) were just synth strings.
I think that album, strong as it is, suffers because of that.

Back
Top Bottom