Morrissey and Marr - a new collaboration by the end of 2011, yes or no?

A Morrissey and Marr collaboration (at least one new song or a live performance)?

• Total voters

Maurice E

I've been meaning to post (since the end of the 2009 tour) that a Morrissey and Marr collaboration of some description is looking increasingly likely.
Why? A number of reasons. To wit:
- Morrissey's been experiencing diminishing returns since the 2004 comeback. Although the albums have been improving (in terms of critical acclaim), the sales trajectory has been pretty dismal (Quarry 450,000, ROTT, 200,000, YOR, 85,000). He needs some moderately drastic change to avoid a return to the indie backwaters of the Maladjusted era.
- Marr's been increasingly focused on his Smiths legacy, frequently playing the songs live, and discussing them in the press. It's almost as if, Cribs aside, he's never been in another band.
- Marr's dalliance with the Cribs has come to an end (about which he has been considerably more diplomatic than they have)
- Morrissey and Marr have stayed in touch, and meet up every so often, for hours and hours on end, apparently.
- The political climate, the Conservative government, the cuts, the protests, the Hatful of Hollow t-shirts. It's all given the Smiths legacy that extra resonance/relevance.
- Morrissey's band/songwriters has become a lot less fixed in recent times. He was fiercely loyal to Alain, Boz and Gary from the early 90's through to the mid 2000's but since then, he's welcomed a new songwriter to the fold, and on one album didn't include any Boz songs so he's become much more open to different arrangements/line ups etc.

Anyway, one way or another, I reckon there's a good chance we'll have some new Morrissey Marr activity before too long, even if it's just a song or two.

The posting from the fairly reliable Morrissey'sMum twitter 'character'
"I can confirm my boy has been been in touch with an old pal and they have collaborated. He knows you'd love to hear it."
and someone else on the main board "All the haters, keep hating. The best is yet to come. I have heard. From A Little Bird. Fluttering around in its cage. That Morrissey & Marr have completed a song together. Watch it rise, from the ashes........I'm anonymous and you didn't hear it from me." makes me suspect it will be sooner rather than later.
Anyway, there's a poll attached so you can vote yes, no, or never!

Last edited:
and if it's not a new Marr collaboration (of sorts), my money's on Stephen Street which is equally exciting, if nott more so!

Obviously I could be wrong, but I feel like it wouldn't be this easy for us to figure out -- I feel like it will be some sort of surprise to us, not one of the usual suspects. That's just the vibe I get from it. Of course, here's hoping it's Marr.

Obviously I could be wrong, but I feel like it wouldn't be this easy for us to figure out -- I feel like it will be some sort of surprise to us, not one of the usual suspects. That's just the vibe I get from it. Of course, here's hoping it's Marr.

yeah, possibly. 'Morrissey's mum' paraphrases the song 'He Knows I'd Love to See Him' in her latest 'tweet'. I've just checked the credits, and the music was written by Kevin Armstrong (who also wrote one or two other top-notch Morrissey collaborations).
so, it looks that Morrissey-Armstrong reunion we've all been secretly hoping for, for all these years, could finally happen!

I heard he has learned the keyboards and is joining Blondie.

I think Johnny would do it in a heartbeat but Morrissey is not game for it

If Morrissey would put out an album featuring collaborations with Whyte, Boorer, Marr, and Street...it would probably be the greatest thing ever so long Jesse Tobias' plodding paws were kept away from it.

Apologies.
I have not voted.
I can't seem to find the 4th option ~ " ffs :rolleyes: "

If Morrissey would put out an album featuring collaborations with Whyte, Boorer, Marr, and Street...it would probably be the greatest thing ever so long Jesse Tobias' plodding paws were kept away from it.

Songs written by Whyte/Boorer/Marr/Street, performed by Tobias :lbf:
I would LOL at all of you who hate Jesse so much. :D

I said almost exactly the same thing some years back. Really push his regular collaborators for their best and open up demo submissions to Marr, maybe Vini Reilly or Bernie Butler and choose the best of the best.
Some might say it'd lead to an incohesive (yes I know that's not a dictionary word) album but with someone like Street at the controls, I think it'd all come together.

Songs written by Whyte/Boorer/Marr/Street, performed by Tobias :lbf:
I would LOL at all of you who hate Jesse so much. :D

Then you could also Lol at the death of Morrissey's musical credibility...butchering Alain's and Boz's music is bad enough, but waiting 20+ years for Marr and Street to come back in the fold and butchering their compositions would be blasphemous.

I said almost exactly the same thing some years back. Really push his regular collaborators for their best and open up demo submissions to Marr, maybe Vini Reilly or Bernie Butler and choose the best of the best.
Some might say it'd lead to an incohesive (yes I know that's not a dictionary word) album but with someone like Street at the controls, I think it'd all come together.

I don't really care if it sounds like an "album"...if all the songs are top notch without any fillers, that would be good enough.

Agreed. Quarry was really just a collection of songs that had been written at different times, but it came out well. Quarry, Ringleader and Years could be seen as a loose trilogy. Morrissey certainly seems happier with those three than anything else he's done, but I hope there's a real break with this latest album. If Moz wasn't so obsessed with singles, all three of the aforementioned could've been improved by replacing some album tracks with b-sides.
I hope he goes into this one with a true sense of all or nothing, do or die...

I don't really care if it sounds like an "album"...if all the songs are top notch without any fillers, that would be good enough.

I've been hoping/saying as much for some time now. If it is true, then I wonder if Mr X will appear on stage for a rendition of said song?

P.

yeah, possibly. 'Morrissey's mum' paraphrases the song 'He Knows I'd Love to See Him' in her latest 'tweet'. I've just checked the credits, and the music was written by Kevin Armstrong (who also wrote one or two other top-notch Morrissey collaborations).
so, it looks that Morrissey-Armstrong reunion we've all been secretly hoping for, for all these years, could finally happen!

It's oft forgotten that Armstrong co-wrote "Piccadilly Palare" too - a fine tune! But I think this is more likely a reference to the fact that "He Knows I'd Love To See" is one of those songs generally accepted to be aimed in Marr's direction...

hmm i know a smiths reunion will never happen but i was once in a while dreaming of a collaboration maybe not a whole album but a one off single (not on album)one off track on album or a one off "performance"

a bit like page and plant working together

but its a dream..probably

Whatever pills you people are on...could I have some?

Please.

I have PayPal.

Then you could also Lol at the death of Morrissey's musical credibility...butchering Alain's and Boz's music is bad enough, but waiting 20+ years for Marr and Street to come back in the fold and butchering their compositions would be blasphemous.

Last edited by a moderator:
God I loved Nicholson as the Joker. He oughta reprise that role in Heath's permanent absence. Get Zooey Deschanel to be Harley Quinn. :yum:

Back
Top Bottom