Morrissey and Elvis

I mean in a face-to-face confrontation. After the event, sure, everyone wades in, but he's not called upon to back up his arguements and doesn't have to reply. Which is fine of course, it's the same with any other public figure.

How do you know the conversations he has with friends? Why should he have to back up his arguments anyway? He's not a politician, he's just having a conversation.

That's what I mean about it being ridiculous how he is held to account about any little comment. I don't agree with everything he says but I see no need to have to write a huge rant on how he is definitely wrong every time he says something I disagree with. The same as I don't challenge everything my friends say that I disagree with.

Wierd thing about Moz

One of the above comments states that Elvis and Morrissey never really give interviews, which i do feel WAS correct. Morrissey has been in the public eye much more now than ever when it comes to the media. However, what I found VERY ODD is that in the latest Morrissey interview, which was done by LA Weekly (los angeles weekly publication - Feb 2, 2006), unknowingly showed a side of Moz we hadn't even imagined of.

Reporter: So, why did you want to do this (interview)?
Moz: I always did. And I never have been L.A. Weekly'd/ I think I've tried several times in the past, and they couldn't accommodate.

It doesn't seem very typical of Morrissey to actually try and get interviewed. He also states that none of his music has been used for commercial use, which is also untrue, and that he doesn't like dogs because they smell. Which was a HUGE heartbreaker.

So to go back to the Elvis/Moz mystique or coyness, I think they generally have fun with it, and simple do as they please. I'd love to think Morrissey is the Morrissey we all have grown up with, but it simply is not the case anymore.

How do you know the conversations he has with friends? Why should he have to back up his arguments anyway? He's not a politician, he's just having a conversation.

That's what I mean about it being ridiculous how he is held to account about any little comment. I don't agree with everything he says but I see no need to have to write a huge rant on how he is definitely wrong every time he says something I disagree with. The same as I don't challenge everything my friends say that I disagree with.

I actually quite agree with you, he could be and most probably is completely different in private talking with friends, interviews are such strange situations to place a person in.

I think my slight frustration sometimes is that the interviewer themselves aren't quite up to the job, and whether I agree with his comments or not I'd like to see him get pushed further- beyond the statements which he maybe only produces to be controversial and stir a debate, but I'd really like to know his thinking behind some things. I just feel he doesn't always come out with the most rational or logical arguments and that can lead to him getting misinterpreted and it becomes easy for him to just be dismissed in some people's eyes.

Re: Wierd thing about Moz

One of the above comments states that Elvis and Morrissey never really give interviews, which i do feel WAS correct. Morrissey has been in the public eye much more now than ever when it comes to the media. However, what I found VERY ODD is that in the latest Morrissey interview, which was done by LA Weekly (los angeles weekly publication - Feb 2, 2006), unknowingly showed a side of Moz we hadn't even imagined of.

Reporter: So, why did you want to do this (interview)?
Moz: I always did. And I never have been L.A. Weekly'd/ I think I've tried several times in the past, and they couldn't accommodate.

It doesn't seem very typical of Morrissey to actually try and get interviewed. He also states that none of his music has been used for commercial use, which is also untrue, and that he doesn't like dogs because they smell. Which was a HUGE heartbreaker.

So to go back to the Elvis/Moz mystique or coyness, I think they generally have fun with it, and simple do as they please. I'd love to think Morrissey is the Morrissey we all have grown up with, but it simply is not the case anymore.

The way it works is the PR of the singer will contact publications and say they are available for interview. Then the publication will decide whether they want to do the interview. So Morrissey indeed, tries to get interviewed.

I actually quite agree with you, he could be and most probably is completely different in private talking with friends, interviews are such strange situations to place a person in.

I think my slight frustration sometimes is that the interviewer themselves aren't quite up to the job, and whether I agree with his comments or not I'd like to see him get pushed further- beyond the statements which he maybe only produces to be controversial and stir a debate, but I'd really like to know his thinking behind some things. I just feel he doesn't always come out with the most rational or logical arguments and that can lead to him getting misinterpreted and it becomes easy for him to just be dismissed in some people's eyes.

Agreed. To be fair to the interviewers, Moz is so uncomfortable that it can't be easy.

Moz is an intellegent songwriter, one of the greatest songwriters, but in TV interviewers he comes across really badly.

It's a shame when fans get sycophantic and don't wish to accept this failing, because it's an important aspect of Moz's personality.

What is it that makes Moz nervous? I have seen him really relaxed on American TV shows, so why does he get so shaky here?

I honestly don't believe Moz could handle conflict 1 to 1 and therefore would never enter a serious debate and that's NOT a criticism, so sycophants, calm down!!!!!

Some fans are angry at interviewers, but I would have told Moz to f*** off, if he behaved the way he did with Jools. Same with Ross, Ross tried hard, but Moz wasn't giving anything and in the end he looks kinda stupid.

Danny, you sycophant! We know you're only saying this because you're a smitten teenager! :rolleyes: Or maybe it's because you just like Morrissey's fame and money too much! Oh, no wait... you're a man, it's just us women who are into power, fame and money! Ask the all-knowing SouthpawGlamour. I think we should simply concede that he is the greatest authority on Morrissey, just as he is the world's greatest authority on gender roles and the psychology of women. After all, none of us have seen so many TV interviews with Morrissey - he seems to have seen a total of two interviews (Ross and Jools 2004)!

There are so few people that show thier photo, real name and location here, I seem to be one of the few. Why is that?

If you have got the balls to attack me, have the balls to show yourself, muppet!

There are so few people that show thier photo, real name and location here, I seem to be one of the few. Why is that?

If you have got the balls to attack me, have the balls to show yourself, muppet!
I don't know your real name or your location and I haven't seen your photo, and I don't care to see it or get to know anything about you either. It seems like you see yourself as an incredibly important person that everyone would want to know about. All I need to know about you is in your posts.

If you want to request people's pics, go to the Off-topic thread called 'Members pics'. I'm not sure who or what you refer to as 'muppet' :confused: but in any case, I don't see how their name, location or their photo would be relevant. And what does it have to do with 'balls'? What would you do if you knew their name etc.? You're planning to take a plane, find them and have a fist-fight to show them who is more of a man, or what? :p

I don't know your real name or your location and I haven't seen your photo, and I don't care to see it or get to know anything about you either. It seems like you see yourself as an incredibly important person that everyone would want to know about. All I need to know about you is in your posts.

If you want to request people's pics, go to the Off-topic thread called 'Members pics'. I'm not sure who or what you refer to as 'muppet' :confused: but in any case, I don't see how their name, location or their photo would be relevant. And what does it have to do with 'balls'? What would you do if you knew their name etc.? You're planning to take a plane, find them and have a fist-fight to show them who is more of a man, or what? :p

It humanises the debate and stops trolls. I don't enjoy faceless interactions.

As for your obsession with me, it needs to stop!!!!

I am putting you on ignore.

It humanises the debate and stops trolls. I don't enjoy faceless interactions.

As for your obsession with me, it needs to stop!!!!
LMAO :D

I'm putting you on ignore too, as should have done long time ago. I ridiculously thought that even arrogant, smug, sexist morons like you deserve a second chance, so I even considered answering the PM you sent me and trying to reason with you. I'm glad now I didn't, as it would have been a waste of time.

Agreed. To be fair to the interviewers, Moz is so uncomfortable that it can't be easy.

Moz is an intellegent songwriter, one of the greatest songwriters, but in TV interviewers he comes across really badly.

It's a shame when fans get sycophantic and don't wish to accept this failing, because it's an important aspect of Moz's personality.

What is it that makes Moz nervous? I have seen him really relaxed on American TV shows, so why does he get so shaky here?

I honestly don't believe Moz could handle conflict 1 to 1 and therefore would never enter a serious debate and that's NOT a criticism, so sycophants, calm down!!!!!

Some fans are angry at interviewers, but I would have told Moz to f*** off, if he behaved the way he did with Jools. Same with Ross, Ross tried hard, but Moz wasn't giving anything and in the end he looks kinda stupid.

Poor old Moz does get rather nervous, in certain atmospheres. I got the sense that 'the Jools Holland interview' was very claustrophobic for him, with the studio arrangement (encircled by people) and perhaps because Jools would, at times, not pick up on his cue to start talking again, leaving Moz there with nothing else to say. Jonathon Ross would phase anyone, though!! He talks a-mile-minute, and he expects you to be just as quick, which doesn't really suit Morrisseys' dead-pan wit.

But I do agree that he is not a great debater. Moz can be a little too emotional in his arguements, especially when talking about something like animal rights. And I do respect that you can't help but be emotional about something which you believe in so strongly, however, I found it rather silly that he was trying to promote vegetarianism on JR by saying that if you put garnish on a chair (I think) it would taste as nice (depending on your tastes!) as meat. There's not an ounce of science in him, is there? *sniff*.

Poor old Moz does get rather nervous, in certain atmospheres. I got the sense that 'the Jools Holland interview' was very claustrophobic for him, with the studio arrangement (encircled by people) and perhaps because Jools would, at times, not pick up on his cue to start talking again, leaving Moz there with nothing else to say. Jonathon Ross would phase anyone, though!! He talks a-mile-minute, and he expects you to be just as quick, which doesn't really suit Morrisseys' dead-pan wit.

But I do agree that he is not a great debater. Moz can be a little too emotional in his arguements, especially when talking about something like animal rights. And I do respect that you can't help but be emotional about something which you believe in so strongly, however, I found it rather silly that he was trying to promote vegetarianism on JR by saying that if you put garnish on a chair (I think) it would taste as nice (depending on your tastes!) as meat. There's not an ounce of science in him, is there? *sniff*.

Couldn't agree more, anyone that's been a fan more than 5 minutes know this stuff. I don't see it as a problem, I love the fact that he hasn't had media training and sits their firing off pre-planned anecdotes, that's our Moz.

There's not an ounce of science in him, is there? *sniff*.

That's a good way of putting it! If I used some of his comments in an argument over vegetarianism I know I'd just get laughed at, bold statements but they don't really stand up under scrutiny.

I do find it completely endearing as to how he struggles with the pressure of being in front of a live studio audience though, perhaps he worries over appearing as intelligent and funny as people expect. I just watched the Jools interview again and I really feel for him! It's like his defences get raised and he snaps answers that cut the conversation dead and it does neither person any favours. He sounds a lot more articulate on the radio and in written interviews, maybe he feels this pressure to 'perform' on TV somehow as he said to Russell Brand, and that doesn't fit with his personality.

He was much more relaxed in the Edith Bowman interview he did last year though, and that was all quite relaxed without an audience being there. But yes, wouldn't have him any other way, at least you never know what to expect!

Very true, our Moz is a wirey lad. However, I think some number theory would do him the world of good, for fecks sake!!:D

Back
Top Bottom