Morrissey A-Z: "Home Is a Question Mark"

The best piece on an otherwise unappetising affair called LIHS. Reflects on old melodic strengths without world music influences, but quotes already known material (All the lazy dykes). Originally titled "Home is ?", intended for Quarry and recorded in demo form with completely different music by Alain Whyte, the lyrics depict Morrissey's uprooting and search for home very well. It impressed me more live in Berlin on location at the Arte concert, than later on record.
I was unaware of this earlier version... is it available to hear?

Did you not see any of the pre gigs videos for the last few years ? 2017 onwards (possibly earlier)
What the hell does that matter? The name David Hoyle would still not ring any bells. It’s not like the videos come with introductions.

I was unaware of this earlier version... is it available to hear?
Around 2004 it was rumouted to be one of the tracks recorded for Quarry but left off. Recently, Alain confirmed during one of Tim's listening parties on Twitter, that it indeed exists. At least as a demo with Morrissey's vocal. Must be a completely different track.

If he just changed "a place a dunno" to "a place I don't know" it would improve the song so much for me. Its one of those minor things that ruins the entire song and I can't really explain why.

Great song! I love the melodies, and although one commenter mentioned how Morrissey can't sustain that final note live, that he could at least manage it for the album is very impressive. Morrissey's voice just gets better and better. I also enjoy the lyrics. I like how he can make something as slapstick as "wrap your legs around my face just to greet me" have an emotional resonance that moves me every time I hear it.

If he just changed "a place a dunno" to "a place I don't know" it would improve the song so much for me. Its one of those minor things that ruins the entire song and I can't really explain why.
It is really grating and I can explain why! You would normally only shorten 'don't know' to 'dunno' if you didn't know the answer to a question e.g. "What are you doing tomorrow?" "I dunno."
You would never contract 'don't know' to 'dunno' in relation to whether you recognise a place or a person e.g. 'He is someone that I dunno".
Morrissey has done that in this song and it sounds forced and grating. Why did he do it? I dunno!

Last edited:
It is really grating and I can explain why! You would normally only shorten 'don't know' to 'dunno' if you didn't know the answer to a question e.g. "What are you doing tomorrow?" "I dunno."
You would never contract 'don't know' to 'dunno' in relation to whether you recognise a place or a person e.g. 'He is someone that I dunno".
Morrissey has done that in this song and it sounds forced and grating. Why did he do it? I dunno!
I always hear it as a faint echo of the "I dunno" in "Still Ill" - although that example is, as you say, a more grammatically correct contraction.

I always hear it as a faint echo of the "I dunno" in "Still Ill" - although that example is, as you say, a more grammatically correct contraction.
Yep, it reminded me of Still Ill, too, but it was fine in that context i.e. a response to a question!
I'm not sure that it's breaking any grammar rules, though - it just sounds really awkward and odd.

"Don't know" would sound oddly stiff and formal, in my opinion.

Yeah that's pretty much exactly it, it just comes across as wanting to be casual, but not understanding how to do so ... and trying to force a casual word into something poignant

‘I dunno’ could be in the through away sense, so not ‘a place I don’t know’

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom