Morrissey A-Z: "Get off the Stage"

BookishBoy

Our song for today is this one, originally a B-side on the "Piccadilly Palare" single, and co-written with Andy Rourke.

What do we think?

One of his worst songs: awful lyrics with no hints of subtlety and music that has no discernible qualities of its own. Why do Morrissey songs with organs in them mostly seem to end up terrible?

One of my favourite thought experiments is placing this song on side one of The Queen Is Dead, in between "I Know It's Over" and "Never Had No One Ever".

Having said that, I remember buying the 12-inch of PP the day it came out and finding "Get off the Stage" pretty funny. Maybe it's a joke that only works once?

Fair play to him, I guess, for basically disowning this song with the benefit of hindsight. (Although now of course he'll include it in a "Best Of" album next year...)

Uninspiring
And 31 years on. There is an irony here, Morrissey!
Not his finest hour. And up there with a small number of utter dross that he’s turned out.
1/10

A bit of a stretch to call it ‘underrated’, perhaps, but at least it’s better than it’s reputation. The music and melody are fun, and almost carnival-esque, and the lyrics, albeit very silly, are not without wit. Compared with some of his other lightweight, frivolous numbers, I’d rather listen to this one than Fatty or Kiss Me a Lot.

A bit of a stretch to call it ‘underrated’, perhaps, but at least it’s better than it’s reputation. The music and melody are fun, and almost carnival-esque, and the lyrics, albeit very silly, are not without wit. Compared with some of his other lightweight, frivolous numbers, I’d rather listen to this one than Fatty or Kiss Me a Lot.
Bite your tongue Sir Gregor! 'Fatty' is mah jam, yo!

it isnt as bad as i remembered from years ago,M doing vocal gymnastics at the end was funny,was as if he ran out of lyrics.

It is Mr Shandy's constant refrain to me when I spend too long in our thunderbox pavilion. Not subtle, no. But then haemorrhoids are not a subtle affliction - they take their time; they do what they will and listen to no reason.

A very weak song where it is difficult to find any positives in the vocals, lyrics or music. The quality of the doomed Bona Drag sessions varies massively, and there are more lows than highs.

Andy was never likely to prove to be a great collaborator, having no real track record of songwriting at the time, and it should have been no surprise that he couldn't consistently come up with the goods (that's not a criticism of Yes, I Am Blind obviously as that was his bright spot).

If I were searching for something nice to say, played on good speakers or headphones it has a touch more interest. When I first listened to the vinyl version, some of the instrumentation and Suggs' vocals were largely inaudible.

In the poll on the Hoffman board it ranked 263rd from 264 solo songs.

Journalists Who Lie is my guess. Or The Kid’s a Looker.

I quite like this one. Gimmicky sure, but fun to hear every once in a while. A dig to Mick Jagger at the time but now of course the joke in on himself.

I can't believe that those songs are even more maligned than the worst stuff on WPINOYB and LIHS.

You spent six posts running down Ganglord and now you've got something nice to say about this? "Better than 'Kiss Me A Lot'"is pretty funny though.

You spent six posts running down Ganglord and now you've got something nice to say about this? "Better than 'Kiss Me A Lot'"is pretty funny though.
What can I say? Sorry you like Kiss Me a Lot.

Alongside with Journalists Who Lie and The Kid's a Looker, this is one of the three very worst songs Morrissey has ever released. Bitter and pointless songs about truly trivial subjects, with terrible music to boot.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom