Morrissey A-Z: "Are You Sure Hank Done It This Way?"

BookishBoy

Next up is the second cover version to feature in our A-Z, the original being by Waylon Jennings. The live recording was included on the deluxe edition of Low in High School.

For what it's worth, I really like this! (And interesting to read the comments below that YouTube clip: some negatives, of course, but plenty of non-Morrissey fans surprised by how much they enjoyed it.)

I really enjoy this song! Quite an unexpected cover. I was in the audience in Visalia when he sang it. There was a strange vibe in that no one in the audience (including me) seemed to recognize the song.

Fantastic song, quite good cover. Wouldn't mind Moz doing more country!

Morrissey's voice has certainly sustained (and in some ways improved) far better than many singers of his age.

The irregular covers that he has added to the set over the past several years don't massively excite me, but it's still nice to have them professionally recorded and released. I don't think he really adds his own imprint to this one too much, but I still enjoy it for an occasional listen.

In the recent poll on another board, this was ranked 240 of the 264 solo songs discussed.

I like it as well. A fun, upbeat song.

Morrissey's tour manager Donnie Knutson is a massive fan of Hank Williams (as well as James Dean), which surely had some influence on Moz picking this tune.

Last edited:
Absolutely, feel like his voice now really would lend itself well to so many great country songs just like his version of Rose Garden.
He really knocked Rose Garden out of the park. Amazing.

think this is the original recording, hope so. It has a rocking big beat swagger, my other favorite thing about it is the wonderful phaser on the guitar! sweet.

Oh yes, Morrissey’s version is good too, but would have sounded much better if he had his mullet at the time.

think this is the original recording, hope so. It has a rocking big beat swagger, my other favorite thing about it is the wonderful phaser on the guitar! sweet.

Oh yes, Morrissey’s version is good too, but would have sounded much better if he had his mullet at the time.

✊🏻 #longlivethemullet

Never forget

Next up is the second cover version to feature in our A-Z, the original being by Waylon Jennings. The live recording was included on the deluxe edition of Low in High School.

For what it's worth, I really like this! (And interesting to read the comments below that YouTube clip: some negatives, of course, but plenty of non-Morrissey fans surprised by how much they enjoyed it.)

I loved those shirts...

they’re a bit Las Vegas sci-fi

not one of my favorite looks, but not bad.

Actually, was really liking his sleeveless T-shirt thing he was doing last shows(?)
Not a fan of the sleeveless tees.

I think I mostly liked that there were so many colourful variations of the one he's wearing in the video. The sci-fi ones were the best 😂

Holo.jpeg

The florist shop sleeveless monstrosity is the only thing I really object to him wearing.

The mixing of brown/blue & ill-fitting trousers is odd, but livable with.

The real scandal are the white socks he sometimes wears with his stage shoes. That's a real no-go. I don't see anyone at The Guardian writing about it though!

Good cover of a great song. The parallels between Waylon’s lyrics and Morrissey’s career are vivid and I always get a kick out of hearing Moz sing “singing my songs / one of his now and then.”

At the time, I thought perhaps there was more declarative power in the performance of this cover as a night or two earlier, Morrissey had performed his first set completely free of Smiths songs since 1992. But it wasn’t so.

Maybe those white socks wick the sweat away from his feet.

I can't believe I just typed that.
And dark socks aren't up for the job?

I flew over for this gig (and a couple of others)
I’ll be honest, didn’t have a clue what the song was or who the singer was. Not something I listen to since, either.

Tags
morrissey a-z
Back
Top Bottom