"Morrissey 25: Live" review by Ian Nathan (4/5 stars) - Empire

Amazing, a pretty positive review.

It's interesting to see how others interpret this concert, as I attended it live. I thought the show as amazing, engaging, band and Moz sounded spot on.

I'm glad to see a positive spin on a review, the only one I've really seen so far. I'm excited to see the film and look forward to having it in heavy rotation amongst all the smiths, moz solo albums & DVD's.

Hope he is resting up well in both body and mind and ready to give it another go with a new album and appropriate tour scheduling (enough time between shows).

For those haters who say he's done, washed up, or over the hill; I guess it's time for you tune out now and move onto another artist(s). I think differently and feel he still has so much to give, he's 54 now and I like the outlook he brings in his new songs, it's not the smiths or early years anymore, you know?

BeeWee~

4 out of 5 stars, very respectable:thumb:

It is nice to read a positive review. But look some nice things are said...no one wants to even talk about it :lbf:

I think people like to talk about Morrissey losing because after they log off the computer and get back to their real, uneventful lives, it reinforces that their hero is as much of a failure as them. It's comforting to them, but in secret.

I think people like to talk about Morrissey losing because after they log off the computer and get back to their real, uneventful lives, it reinforces that their hero is as much of a failure as them. It's comforting to them, but in secret.

The review summary is "Manna for Moz fans" which says it all. Anyone outside that decreasing cultic circle: don't bother. Not everyone who follows Morrissey's troubled professional career is a 'fan' or regards him as a 'hero'. Some members of the Audience are fully functioning adults. I fail to agree that endlessly preaching to the cult converts makes for a real, eventful life. I'd pretty pleased I'm not trapped in some 5*star cul-de-sac of diminishing fame, having to watch over my shoulder for 'fans' going through my garbage or stalking me. It's the most redundant cultural cliche to assume everyone wants to be famous and resents those who are. It's just another version of "X-Fcuktor": with a few rogue 'outsider' cultural signifiers bolted on. Even if Morrissey was as prominent as One Direction, it wouldn't change or excuse the mediocrity and low ambition of the past decades.
I accept you may find this a challenging perspective!

The review summary is "Manna for Moz fans" which says it all. Anyone outside that decreasing cultic circle: don't bother. Not everyone who follows Morrissey's troubled professional career is a 'fan' or regards him as a 'hero'. Some members of the Audience are fully functioning adults. I fail to agree that endlessly preaching to the cult converts makes for a real, eventful life. I'd pretty pleased I'm not trapped in some 5*star cul-de-sac of diminishing fame, having to watch over my shoulder for 'fans' going through my garbage or stalking me. It's the most redundant cultural cliche to assume everyone wants to be famous and resents those who are. It's just another version of "X-Fcuktor": with a few rogue 'outsider' cultural signifiers bolted on. Even if Morrissey was as prominent as One Direction, it wouldn't change or excuse the mediocrity and low ambition of the past decades.

You seem to have taken her post just the tiniest bit personally.

Shocked.

Short review but largely positive review. Empire is well-read.

"Pope of Mope" should've been retired many, many years ago, but I don't think I've seen "mope papists" before, hah.

Agree completely. I value my privacy. I can't imagine having to be 'on' all the time. And I absolutely hate being photographed. Always have. I wouldn't mind being a respected scientist or author. But a film or recording artist? No thanks.

At the same time, I am not Howard Hughes. I keep a public blog and post on a forum. But I get to control what I share and when. Big difference. I don't snap selfies and post them on twitter and facebook. It's not my thing. Some attention is nice. We all need a little. But having a fanbase of rabid, stalking fans would be a nightmare, imo.

Last edited:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom