Morrissey’s Brexit love affair makes him the last true rock’n’roll rebel - The Spectator

The Spectator seems to have missed the part in the last interview where he denies being pro-Brexit.

"That IS NOT TRUE. The outcome of the Brexit referendum fascinates me because it was a victory for democracy. The people said yes. Although Westminster said no... Whether or not Brexit is good is another matter"

Although, to be fair, a lot of people seem to have somehow missed that.

well written and absolutely true, 99,99 percent of self proclaimed rock and roll rebels, all parrot the same stuff, like zombie robots.
Moz is the rare exception. plus 1 Moz:bow:

I'm very much a left winger, voted for Remain, very relaxed about immigration, and so forth. So of course it's difficult for me to hear him saying things that go against my own view of things. However, I think he's entitled to voice his own opinions like we all are. A lot of noses are out of joint because he's simply got different views from those we want him to have.

Morrissey says things in a very clumsy way at times, and it lends to headlines that come across as exceedingly nasty. I find when you actually read what he's saying, you don't get the same impression that he's this really cruel person. His views on immigration tend more to be about preserving culture and national identity as opposed to simple racism. I think he's got some ridiculous sentimentality for the past, but I don't think he's being racist. Millions of people in the UK, US, and Europe have the same views on immigration, I don't think they can all be dismissed as racists. As for Brexit, let's not forget that the majority of people in the UK voted for it. If anything, he's more in tune with public opinion than people like me are. I think Morrissey is attracted to the whole idea of rebelling against the establishment rather than the pros and cons of EU membership.

His sexual harassment quotes are much harder to defend of course. Some of them are indefensible. Reading him almost try to blame that fourteen year old for the Spacey incident was probably the worst I've felt reading an interview by him. At the same time, there was a hint of a point in there regards hysteria over the issue, and the conflation of very serious sexual crimes and a misplaced pass at someone. But if that was simply the point he was trying to make, he screwed it up big time by appearing to defend Spacey and Weinstein for, at the very very very least, creepy behaviour. And, by the sounds of it, they are allegedly guilty of worse.

I still think it's refreshing that he's willing to speak his mind on things, even when it makes for uncomfortable reading. I'm worried about the PC/outrage culture we live in and where it's leading, so I like the fact that he just doesn't care what people say or think about him. I just don't think he's very well informed on a lot of subjects, and has a tendency to blurt out awful things at time. Sometimes I wish he'd just stay focused on the music for a while!

WHAT a surprise. f***knuckle tales time out of marking down others posts to vote up a very rare article from a right-wing publication speaking up for Morrissey after his latest arsery. One-note c***.
Still there is more depth in this piece then in all of your 'contributions' to this forum in the last 10-15 years pieced together.
Thicko.

WHAT a surprise. f***knuckle tales time out of marking down others posts to vote up a very rare article from a right-wing publication speaking up for Morrissey after his latest arsery. One-note c***.

Hey, moderator, any need to use that kind of language? ;)

The Spectator seems to have missed the part in the last interview where he denies being pro-Brexit.

"That IS NOT TRUE. The outcome of the Brexit referendum fascinates me because it was a victory for democracy. The people said yes. Although Westminster said no... Whether or not Brexit is good is another matter"

Although, to be fair, a lot of people seem to have somehow missed that.

A lot of people seem to have missed this also - so I will post it YET again...

I’d hang on to sterling, yet withdraw from the Europe Fan Club, and I’d plough the wasteful cost of being euro back into the NHS; I’d stop foreign aid because we’ve been nice enough in that department, and I’d allow the British people to hold on to their own money.”

I wonder if any of you knew Bryan Adams supported Brexit? I suppose he is a racist scumbag as well?

I'm very much a left winger, voted for Remain, very relaxed about immigration, and so forth. So of course it's difficult for me to hear him saying things that go against my own view of things. However, I think he's entitled to voice his own opinions like we all are. A lot of noses are out of joint because he's simply got different views from those we want him to have.

Morrissey says things in a very clumsy way at times, and it lends to headlines that come across as exceedingly nasty. I find when you actually read what he's saying, you don't get the same impression that he's this really cruel person. His views on immigration tend more to be about preserving culture and national identity as opposed to simple racism. I think he's got some ridiculous sentimentality for the past, but I don't think he's being racist. Millions of people in the UK, US, and Europe have the same views on immigration, I don't think they can all be dismissed as racists. As for Brexit, let's not forget that the majority of people in the UK voted for it. If anything, he's more in tune with public opinion than people like me are. I think Morrissey is attracted to the whole idea of rebelling against the establishment rather than the pros and cons of EU membership.

His sexual harassment quotes are much harder to defend of course. Some of them are indefensible. Reading him almost try to blame that fourteen year old for the Spacey incident was probably the worst I've felt reading an interview by him. At the same time, there was a hint of a point in there regards hysteria over the issue, and the conflation of very serious sexual crimes and a misplaced pass at someone. But if that was simply the point he was trying to make, he screwed it up big time by appearing to defend Spacey and Weinstein for, at the very very very least, creepy behaviour. And, by the sounds of it, they are allegedly guilty of worse.

I still think it's refreshing that he's willing to speak his mind on things, even when it makes for uncomfortable reading. I'm worried about the PC/outrage culture we live in and where it's leading, so I like the fact that he just doesn't care what people say or think about him. I just don't think he's very well informed on a lot of subjects, and has a tendency to blurt out awful things at time. Sometimes I wish he'd just stay focused on the music for a while!

This is how I see the situation too, very well put. Morrissey is saying some very dumb and insensitive things, but in full context I don't believe he is a monster.
Notice how all the headline do not read the "I hate rape" comment...

The Spectator is in fact the oldest continuously published magazine in the UK, founded in 1828. And while it is broadly supportive of the Tories and editorially pro-Brexit, it is very well known for being liberal on social issues; and it also has regular anti-Brexit columnists like Nick Cohen and Alex Massie. What an ignorant, hateful, jealous little weasel you would have to be to compare it to Breitbart on the basis that they share a single contributor. Well, Cohen also writes for the Guardian, so go figure moron. Completely out of your depth.

The Spectator is in fact the oldest continuously published magazine in the UK, founded in 1828. And while it is broadly supportive of the Tories and editorially pro-Brexit, it is very well known for being liberal on social issues; and it also has regular anti-Brexit columnists like Nick Cohen and Alex Massie. What an ignorant, hateful, jealous little weasel you would have to be to compare it to Breitbart on the basis that they share a single contributor. Well, Cohen also writes for the Guardian, so go figure moron. Completely out of your depth.
Well, you would say that, wouldn't you, as it allied with your outlook. I'm happy that my post was correct. And less of the ad homs. So unbecoming.

Nick Cohen is centre-left on some things, but he was a vocal proponent of the second Gulf war, lays into Jeremy Corbyn at any opportunity and takes a particularly robust view on all things Islamic. His book Pretty Straight Guys was fantastic, but he’s been a self-parody for about as long as Morrissey.

But how could it conform to my outlook? It is pro and ant Brexit. Politically conservative but socially liberal and progressive. It is for people who are sick of the echo chamber and want to read different petspectives as long as they are intelligently argued and original. Sure, I shouldn't have called you a moron. But I will stick with ignorant, because you are evidently not mature enough to admit that you just compared apples and oranges. That is what is more unbecoming than a shallow insult.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom