Morrissey’s Brexit love affair makes him the last true rock’n’roll rebel - The Spectator

Still there is more depth in this piece then in all of your 'contributions' to this forum in the last 10-15 years pieced together.
Thicko.

I doubt Skinny and I would agree on much if we met, but his contribution to running this site should be worth your respect, even if gratitude is beyond you.

Thank you so much for this. I fully agree. By far the best comment on his recent interviews and statements. Still struggeling with it. But this helps.

I'm very much a left winger, voted for Remain, very relaxed about immigration, and so forth. So of course it's difficult for me to hear him saying things that go against my own view of things. However, I think he's entitled to voice his own opinions like we all are. A lot of noses are out of joint because he's simply got different views from those we want him to have.

Morrissey says things in a very clumsy way at times, and it lends to headlines that come across as exceedingly nasty. I find when you actually read what he's saying, you don't get the same impression that he's this really cruel person. His views on immigration tend more to be about preserving culture and national identity as opposed to simple racism. I think he's got some ridiculous sentimentality for the past, but I don't think he's being racist. Millions of people in the UK, US, and Europe have the same views on immigration, I don't think they can all be dismissed as racists. As for Brexit, let's not forget that the majority of people in the UK voted for it. If anything, he's more in tune with public opinion than people like me are. I think Morrissey is attracted to the whole idea of rebelling against the establishment rather than the pros and cons of EU membership.

His sexual harassment quotes are much harder to defend of course. Some of them are indefensible. Reading him almost try to blame that fourteen year old for the Spacey incident was probably the worst I've felt reading an interview by him. At the same time, there was a hint of a point in there regards hysteria over the issue, and the conflation of very serious sexual crimes and a misplaced pass at someone. But if that was simply the point he was trying to make, he screwed it up big time by appearing to defend Spacey and Weinstein for, at the very very very least, creepy behaviour. And, by the sounds of it, they are allegedly guilty of worse.

I still think it's refreshing that he's willing to speak his mind on things, even when it makes for uncomfortable reading. I'm worried about the PC/outrage culture we live in and where it's leading, so I like the fact that he just doesn't care what people say or think about him. I just don't think he's very well informed on a lot of subjects, and has a tendency to blurt out awful things at time. Sometimes I wish he'd just stay focused on the music for a while!

Not ignorant - Just in a different stratosphere to most of the population who will be directly affected by leaving the EU.

Again, Do most people care about Morrissey's views on Brexit? I don't. But when he is showing support for knuckle draggers like Anne Marie Waters and declaring Berlin a rape capital then that is something I absolutely have a problem with. His interview was a train wreck. Seeing all of the sheep on here jumping to his defense is pathetic

A reminder that other contributors have included Germaine Greer,Craig Brown and Christopher Hitchens.

From what you say, it sounds like the editorial policy is that contributors who are not Nazis have to at least be twats.

Oh, yeah, such a rebel. A man who has no significant public profile risking his insignificant reputation by coming out in favor of every geriatrics' favorite single issue voting trigger: Immigrants.

Morrissey is as much a rebel as someone's out of touch grandparents.

People like Morrissey, and his supporters are living in a bubble, and it's like viewing mental illness unfold in real time. They're already dead.

They're embarrassing themselves; all the while imagining that they're the last front in defense of something that people will write comedies about in the future. They're just people who are going to live and die, and nothing that they felt, or did will have meant anything. Spider in a web, replacing a spider in a web.

Still, it's interesting to watch Morrissey evolve into a right wing artist; but at his age, it makes sense. He has nothing to offer the current generation. He's an anachronism. He doesn't relate.

He's become the Gallagher of pop music, and instead of smashing watermelons with a hammer, he employs the rhetorical equivalent: All style, no substance. Soon, he'll likely be pursuing the state fair circuit, singing songs about the way things were, and should be.

He was supposed to be the kind of artist who escaped that cliche, but he embraced it, and that's more disappointing than any callous, xenophobic ideas he might hold.

Morrissey has managed to thoroughly embarrass his most dedicated fans.

Not ignorant - Just in a different stratosphere to most of the population who will be directly affected by leaving the EU.

Again, Do most people care about Morrissey's views on Brexit? I don't. But when he is showing support for knuckle draggers like Anne Marie Waters and declaring Berlin a rape capital then that is something I absolutely have a problem with. His interview was a train wreck. Seeing all of the sheep on here jumping to his defense is pathetic

It has less to do with agreeing with Morrissey than trying to maintain their personal interests without looking like fools betting on the wrong horse. Abused wife syndrome.

It's not about ever being able to trust someone else again, it's about ever being able to trust your own judgement. It's the same thing with religion, and cults. It has to be true, or else, if I'm wrong, I'm reduced to nothing, and I have no business judging anything of value in the future. No one should trust my opinions.

I would agree with those fears. Once you have been revealed to have seriously poor judgment, no matter how polite someone might treat you admitting your wrong, deep down, they think you're an idiot. You're better off doubling down.

So I understand the resistance to acknowledging insanity. You either go all out in support of it, or you keep your mouth shut.

[...] he’s doing what rock people are meant to do: fuming against the prim, censorious, anti-people outlook of The Man; standing up for freedom of speech against PC [...]

:flowers:

That's a really well-written article though!

It is. It makes a change.

The thing is that many of you might forget what it was like in 1977-86. It was GRIM. At least it was in the UK.
It became the 'DUTY' of ALL musicians to stir-up controversy.
Goodness. If you folks had ever seen (or heard) some of the things that the Rolling Stones or the Sex Pistols got upto then you guys wouldn't be so hard on Morrissey. Some of you folks based in USA also "had it" during the very first days of rock n roll..... don't forget they called it the "devil's music" for many years. And Elvis was an absolute sweetie-pie compared to The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols.

Hazard
x

It is. It makes a change.

The thing is that many of you might forget what it was like in 1977-86. It was GRIM. At least it was in the UK.
It became the 'DUTY' of ALL musicians to stir-up controversy.
Goodness. If you folks had ever seen (or heard) some of the things that the Rolling Stones or the Sex Pistols got upto then you guys wouldn't be so hard on Morrissey. Some of you folks based in USA also "had it" during the very first days of rock n roll..... don't forget they called it the "devil's music" for many years. And Elvis was an absolute sweetie-pie compared to The Rolling Stones and The Sex Pistols.

Hazard
x

So what you're saying is...it's OK, because these guys were doing it too. Is that right?

So what you're saying is...it's OK, because these guys were doing it too. Is that right?

I'm saying that it's OK to be "controversial." As did the initial responder above. As did the author of the original review, who basically wrote exactly the same thing himself by way of his conclusion.
Thinking back to 1983 the whole point of The Smiths was to BE a Pop Group. Morrissey and Marr wanted to be in a Pop Group and they were controversial back THEN too. Just as they are right NOW. Just as other musicians have-been/are/will be. That's the point. Look at how Madonna and Miley Cyrus have been. It does not matter what I say or what you say. Morrissey is someone who challenges on every level. Only the intelligent can really work him out....he's a complex beast. But lovely and talented.

Hazard
x

Oh, yeah, such a rebel. A man who has no significant public profile risking his insignificant reputation by coming out in favor of every geriatrics' favorite single issue voting trigger: Immigrants.

Morrissey is as much a rebel as someone's out of touch grandparents.

People like Morrissey, and his supporters are living in a bubble, and it's like viewing mental illness unfold in real time. They're already dead.

They're embarrassing themselves; all the while imagining that they're the last front in defense of something that people will write comedies about in the future. They're just people who are going to live and die, and nothing that they felt, or did will have meant anything. Spider in a web, replacing a spider in a web.

Still, it's interesting to watch Morrissey evolve into a right wing artist; but at his age, it makes sense. He has nothing to offer the current generation. He's an anachronism. He doesn't relate.

He's become the Gallagher of pop music, and instead of smashing watermelons with a hammer, he employs the rhetorical equivalent: All style, no substance. Soon, he'll likely be pursuing the state fair circuit, singing songs about the way things were, and should be.

He was supposed to be the kind of artist who escaped that cliche, but he embraced it, and that's more disappointing than any callous, xenophobic ideas he might hold.

Morrissey has managed to thoroughly embarrass his most dedicated fans.

You must live in a bubble. Go to any working class community in the UK, Europe, or the US and concern about mass immigration is a burning issue. You may not like that in your utopian dream world - but back in the real world it's a fact.

His interview was a train wreck. Seeing all of the sheep on here jumping to his defense is pathetic

:rofl: no, it wasn't. this man understood very well what morrissey had said.

your inability to understand makes you look pathetic.

having this inability, you jump to offend, it's always easier.

p.s. maybe you're just paid flamer :rofl:

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom