McCartney blames the Chinese for their 'medieval' wet markets

Medieval & not hygienic & barely a hint of disapproval. And put within the context of his vegetarianism & animal rights activism.

Verily the PR Gods have it in for Morrissey. :pray:

Yep, Morrissey had the guts to say that many, many years ago. Now, what? Paul is not being called a racist.

I absolutely agree with him. And also I think it's not only about it being medieval. It's also about how they kill the animals. Humans should show respect to living and breathing creatures.

Yep, Morrissey had the guts to say that many, many years ago. Now, what? Paul is not being called a racist.
I see your point, and the wet markets are indeed an atrocious institution, esp. for the animals.
But would you agree that criticism should always describe a specific behaviour or situation (observation), and, in order to be helpful, refrain from sweeping judgements of the person/nation as a whole (assumption)?
Personally and being just human, i often fail to adhere to this rule, most often when i am upset.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see your point, and the wet markets are indeed an atrocious institution, esp. for the animals.
But would you agree that criticism should always describe a specific behaviour or situation (observation), and, in order to be helpful, refrain from sweeping judgements of the person/nation as a whole (assumption)?
Personally and being just human, i often fail to adhere to this rule, most often when i am upset.

Being very passionate about something we perceive as being wrong can drive anger.
Anger, about something, or someone, can make us say things in the heat of the moment, which we may regret later.
We may not regret being vocal on the issue itself, but maybe regret the manner in which we delivered the message.
It's also difficult for some people to apologise for their angry outburst(s). It takes practice, & courage.
Some people (like McCartney) are able to remain passionate, but can manage any anger. Others have difficulty with this.

Medieval & not hygienic & barely a hint of disapproval. And put within the context of his vegetarianism & animal rights activism.

Verily the PR Gods have it in for Morrissey. :pray:

One said - Medieval & not hygienic, which is an accurate description of the process

The other said - You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies, which is his thoughts on a whole population

There is a big difference

Squash the subspecies!

One said - Medieval & not hygienic, which is an accurate description of the process

The other said - You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies, which is his thoughts on a whole population

There is a big difference

It's accurate to say it's medieval? China is in medieval times? That's just objective fact & not a way of calling it backward or barbaric?

And China has been saying that calling it dirty is racist. That pov has had a lot of coverage.

Also Morrissey clarified his remarks before the publication of the interview with The Guardian, which the Guardian publicised by flagging up as a reignited race row & phoned Rock Against Racism for a quote condemning it.

20200415_131948.jpg

At this point in time, the left is just a steaming heap of manure:

I think the difference is Morrissey deliberately seeks to antagonise. He likes provocative language, he enjoys throwing in certain words like grenades for effect, and then stepping away from the fallout, crying 'misunderstood'. He always has, both in his lyrics and in interviews.

Paul McCartney might be essentially making the same point but he's media savvy enough - or perhaps just grown-up enough - not to use words like 'subspecies' in case the resulting Twitter storm makes him look like a loudmouthed bigot.

It's accurate to say it's medieval? China is in medieval times. That's just objective fact & not a way of calling it backward or barbaric.

And China has been saying that calling it dirty is racist. That pov has had a lot of coverage.

Also Morrissey clarified his remarks before the publication of the interview with The Guardian, which the Guardian publicised by flagging up as a reignited race row & phoned Rock Against Racism for a quote condemning it.

View attachment 55880

He still said this:

"Did you see the thing on the news about their treatment of animals and animal welfare? Absolutely horrific. You can't help but feel that the Chinese are a subspecies."

That's not his thoughts on the whole population you little weasel

In context it was about animal welfare & he used a second person pronoun - so it's not actually what he thinks at all. It's the impression he thinks the news footage gives.

20200415_143554.jpg

But almost every article & Surface misquotes it.

I think the difference is Morrissey deliberately seeks to antagonise. He likes provocative language, he enjoys throwing in certain words like grenades for effect, and then stepping away from the fallout, crying 'misunderstood'. He always has, both in his lyrics and in interviews.

Paul McCartney might be essentially making the same point but he's media savvy enough - or perhaps just grown-up enough - not to use words like 'subspecies' in case the resulting Twitter storm makes him look like a loudmouthed bigot.

Unhygienic & medieval isn't savvy.

It was typed up as filler, but if someone thought a Paul McCartney racial insensitivity row was worth it in 2020, they could go for it.

Back
Top Bottom