Morrissey Central "Mamma Lay Softly" (August 15, 2020)

"The flowers of solace, comfort and consolation that have arrived at Beechmount - my mother's home for over 30 years, and now, her premature place of rest, are all so Hindu sundar; so beautiful; so expensive; so lavish; so glamorous; so much more than I ever expected that anyone anywhere would bestow on my mother. For my own life I don't care anything, but how my worldwide friends have regarded my mother with such great respect and faithful love is a gift to me that no success, triumphs or riches could match.

I send you what remains of my love, and I hope that we all survive so that one day, one way, the halls of music and free expression will never again hold the power to exercise their malicious deception that keeps us apart."

Morrissey
14 August 2020.

Update:
Central add some more floral tribute images:

Media item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Who knows. But 'music halls' and 'free expression' are very specific and relate directly to him (and his previous comments) in obvious ways.

Not really - because why would he be blaming them for a deception? What power did they have?

In regards to the last paragraph, think he was trying to convey that he hopes to see his fans again, that this pandemic/lockdown won’t keep him and his fans apart much longer.

In such a state, he probably hit send without reading what he wrote.

It probably is something like that.

I'm happy he got comfort from his lovely loyal fans who kindly sent flowers and relieved he didn't segue AMW or Stinkeyflapshammer 666 into the post

Since when do the halls of music and free expression hold the power to exercise malicious deception that keep us apart? like, what?!?
Maybe he'll give us a song about the malicious deception.

I'm just happy that Moz is talking/thinking out loud to his fans. He needs us now more than ever.

I'm also relieved to see Moz saying things like "I hope that we all survive....". I'm hoping that means that he can see a glimmer of light in his future.

So this is not the time for the self centered mentally constipated brigade on this site to snipe and stab like Chucky on speed. Show respect. If you find yourself posting hurtful comments on any thread related to Morrissey's mother, then I ask you to exit this site. We don't want you or your infantile posts. You are not funny. You are pathetic. You are a disgrace to your own mother.

Not really - because why would he be blaming them for a deception? What power did they have?
Like I said, the syntax is badly scrambled (and let's face it, it's not his strong suit at the best of times). But I'm reading it as him saying the music halls are in lockdown, therefore they are complicit in the 'malicious deception' of the Covid response (and he has made numerous anti-Covid statements). Yes, it makes no sense because the venues don't have a choice in the matter, but that's how it reads to me.

Like I said, the syntax is badly scrambled (and let's face it, it's not his strong suit at the best of times). But I'm reading it as him saying the music halls are in lockdown, therefore they are complicit in the 'malicious deception' of the Covid response (and he has made numerous anti-Covid statements). Yes, it makes no sense because the venues don't have a choice in the matter, but that's how it reads to me.

Technically they're back open - although only about 5 people can get in.

Halls of music & free expression just doesn't sound quite right. Not even to be fancy.

Technically they're back open - although only about 5 people can get in.

Halls of music & free expression just doesn't sound quite right. Not even to be fancy.

Really think he means that he hopes to be back on stage again to sing and see his fans.

In regards to the last paragraph, think he was trying to convey that he hopes to see his fans again, that this pandemic/lockdown won’t keep him and his fans apart much longer.

To your friends and family? I get that. But as a public figure to the general public? That is just plain strange and narcissistic.

We aren't the general public..........we're extended family......of a kind. What did he say? "I'm in an extended dialogue with my audience".......something like that.

Yes. A narcissist does.
That’s not true at all. For an example, my wife and sister-in-law are typically both private on social media. But when their mother (my mother-in-law) passed away a few years ago, they both posted quite a few posts related to their Mom; anecdotes, old photos, etc. It gave them a lot of comfort to do that. I think it’s just one way of grieving and making sense of a huge loss.

That’s how I interpreted it too. While it is in no way comparable to losing his Mom, having had his touring career put on hold as well must be making this even more of a tumultuous time for him. 😔

Last edited:
That’s not true at all. For an example, my wife and sister-in-law are typically both quite private on social media. But when their mother (my mother-in-law) passed away a few years ago, they both posted quite a few posts related to their Mom; anecdotes, old photos, etc. It gave them a lot of comfort to do that. I think it’s just one way of grieving and making sense of a huge loss.

I get that. And I understand that. To family and friends. But not to a general pool of people who have no personal family or friendly contact. That was my point. It’s simply narcissistic to post such a thing to the general public.

That’s how I interpreted it too. While it is in no way comparable to losing his Mom, having had his touring career put on hold as well must be making this even more of tumultuous time for him. 😔

I think he’s longing for some sense of normalcy.

To be back on stage again just like it was before the pandemic/shutdown and before his mother passed.

Getting himself back on stage or at least recording again would be just one of the best things for him.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom