Leonard cohen announces new album, old ideas, to be released 01.31.12

The Seeker of Good Songs

LEONARD COHEN TO RELEASE NEW ALBUM - OLD IDEAS - ON COLUMBIA
RECORDS ON JAN. 31, 2012
LAUDED POET'S FIRST STUDIO ALBUM IN EIGHT YEARS IS LATEST IN AN
ESTEEMED CAREER SPANNING SIX DECADES
(New York, NY - November 22, 2011) - OLD IDEAS, an album by Leonard Cohen, will be
released by Columbia Records on January 31, 2012.
The album's ten songs poetically address some of the most profound quandaries of human existence
- the relationship to a transcendent being, love, sexuality, loss and death. Arguably the most overtly
spiritual of the revered artist's albums, Old Ideas inspires commitment to a greater sense of
compassion and decency. Old Ideas is available for preorder now at www.LeonardCohen.com
where his song, “Show Me The Place” is also streaming. Fans who pre-order will receive an instant
download of the new song.
While the recording of Old Ideas began in earnest in January 2011, many of the new songs and their
lyrics have been in the works for years. Early versions of two album tracks, "Amen" and "Lullaby"
were originally recorded in 2007, while early versions of “Lullaby” and “ The Darkness” were
performed live during Cohen's recently concluded, sold-out world tour.
Fans were given another hint of what to expect when Cohen made remarks as the recipient of the
Principe de Asturias Prize for literature in Spain in October.
“As I grew older, I understood that instructions came with this voice. And the instructions were
these...Never to lament casually. And if one is to express the great inevitable defeat that awaits us
all, it must be done within the strict confines of dignity & beauty."
The album by Leonard Cohen was produced with Patrick Leonard, Anjani Thomas, Ed Sanders and
Dino Soldo. Complementing Cohen's signature baritone on Old Ideas are the exceptional vocalists
Dana Glover, Sharon Robinson, The Webb Sisters (Hattie and Charley Webb) and Jennifer Warnes.
The album's cover design and drawings are Cohen's own.
OLD IDEAS TRACK LISTING:
Going Home
Amen
Show Me The Place
The Darkness
Anyhow
Crazy To Love You
Come Healing
Banjo
Lullaby
Different Sides
Old Ideas will be Cohen's twelfth studio album with Columbia Records since 1967.

listen to "Show Me The Place" from the new album
http://www.leonardcohen.com/us/OldIdeas

oldideas.jpg

[SIZE=+4]O[/SIZE][SIZE=+3]LD [/SIZE][SIZE=+4]I[/SIZE][SIZE=+3]DEAS [/SIZE]

[h=2]Leonard Cohen's new studio album
will be released on January 31, 2012[/h]
The album's ten new songs poetically address some of the most profound quandaries of human existence - the relationship to a transcendent being, love, sexuality, loss and death. Arguably the most overtly spiritual of the revered artist's albums, Old Ideas inspires commitment to a greater sense of compassion and decency.

While the recording of Old Ideas began in earnest in January 2011, many of the new songs and their lyrics have been in the works for years. Two album tracks, "Amen" and "Lullaby" were originally recorded in 2007, and an early version of “Lullaby” and an early version of “Darkness” were also performed live during Cohen's recently concluded, sold-out World Tour 2008-2010.

[SIZE=+1]Read the official Press Release (Nov 22, 2011)
The album is discussed here on the Forum
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=+1]Tracks:[/SIZE][SIZE=+1]

1. Going Home 3:10
2. Amen 7:39
3. Show Me The Place 4:08
4. Darkness 4:30
5. Anyhow 3:09
6. Crazy to Love You 3:08
7. Come Healing 2:53
8. Banjo 3:26
9. Lullaby 4:48
10. Different Sides 4:10 [/SIZE]

Leonard Cohen produced the album with Patrick Leonard, Anjani Thomas, Ed Sanders and Dino Soldo. Complementing Cohen's signature baritone on Old Ideas are the exceptional vocalists Dana Glover, Sharon Robinson, The Webb Sisters (Hattie and Charley Webb) and Jennifer Warnes. The album's cover design and drawings are Cohen's own. Old Ideas is available for preorder now at www.leonardcohen.com where one of the new songs, “Show Me The Place” is also streaming. Fans who pre-order will receive an instant download of the new song.

The album will be available in CD and Vinyl formats. Also a special version with a 12" x 12" (30 x 30 cm) lithograph, numbered and limited to 5,000! (only at www.leonardcohen.com)

litho.jpg

[SIZE=-1]The lithography of the special edition[/SIZE]
showme.jpg

[SIZE=-1] Listen to the song Show Me the Place[/SIZE]

Last edited:
Oh how lovely is that! (Great pic, by the way.) I wish the album was out a week earlier though - it would be a perfect pressie for my birthday! :thumb:

Back
Top Bottom