Leeds - First Direct Arena (Feb. 24, 2018) post-show

Post your info and reviews related to this concert in the comments section below. Other links (photos, external reviews, etc.) related to this concert will also be compiled in this section as they are sent in.

Setlist:

You'll Be Gone / I Wish You Lonely / Suedehead / Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage / Home Is A Question Mark / Munich Air Disaster 1958 / I Started Something I Couldn't Finish / Who Will Protect Us From The Police? / World Peace Is None Of Your Business / Jack The Ripper / Back On The Chain Gang / I Bury The Living / When You Open Your Legs / If You Don't Like Me, Don't Look At Me / Spent The Day In Bed / My Love, I'd Do Anything For You / The Bullfighter Dies / Hold On To Your Friends / How Soon Is Now? / Everyday Is Like Sunday // Irish Blood, English Heart

Setlist provided by Famous when dead.

Last edited:
Some more good work by Int'l Playboy:

Et al:

Regards,
FWD.

fighting on the concourse between leeds and man united fans, one lad kicked unconscious on the floor. Very sad to see football violence attaching itself to Morrissey

SER filmed most of it.

Moz not impressed with security, seemed put off during ‘if you don’t like me’ ...

Morrissey was great, but the crowd was awful and it had a really shit atmosphere.

Most of the die-hard wanker Morrissey-can-do-or-say-no-wrong fans were actually pleasant for once, but the majority of the crowd was awful. Most people there only seemed to know two or three songs, so there wasn't an awful lot of singing, which sapped out the atmosphere.

Then, along with that, there was just so many scraps going on. Morrissey gugi are always a bit rough, but that's because everyone is dancing. This was just full on fights. I had to grab hold of and throw one guy, because he came within an inch of elbowing my girlfriend in the face when he was kicking off with someone. Another fella in a flat-cap and a stripy top got another guy thrown out near the end, which resulted in some girls fighting.

It was just a really shit crowd. One of the worst Morrissey shows I've been to, despite Morrissey being on good form.
Welcome to Leeds.

Just got back, it was such a weird gig, having seen him many many times this was one of the worst. I have to say he sounded superb, but you could really tell from the crowd that they don’t like this new album. I can’t tell you how flat the whole thing was. When he sang suedehead HSIN and I Started Something it was buzzing, everything else was like an audience full of 80 year olds seeing cliff Richard. And listening to lots of people on the way out they were mostly saying it wasn’t his best show.

Just got back, it was such a weird gig, having seen him many many times this was one of the worst. I have to say he sounded superb, but you could really tell from the crowd that they don’t like this new album. I can’t tell you how flat the whole thing was. When he sang suedehead HSIN and I Started Something it was buzzing, everything else was like an audience full of 80 year olds seeing cliff Richard. And listening to lots of people on the way out they were mostly saying it wasn’t his best show.
The videos from the gig is a carbon copy of Bowie at Wembley Arena in 1995 when Morrissey was the support act. Most left when Moz was done and the venue did not exactly help to create an atmo nor did the soulless stewards working there. You simply cannot have a good gig in venues like the one in Leeds.

Just got back from this show and would agree with most of what is being said.
Morrissey was fantastic and the songs sounded great.
Sadly the crowd was a bit lethargic and never really popped (aside from the ‘big’ moments e.g. ‘Suedehead’ ‘Spent..’ ‘How Soon?’ ‘Sunday’ ‘Irish Blood’) and standing up it seemed like you either had to be stood stone still or tearing lumps out of each other.
There was also a huge and aggressive looking security guard at side stage so I think that put people off going ocer the barrier.
This is a shame as SER was filming throughout.
Still, i really enjoyed it, loved hearing ‘Hold On To Your Friends’ ‘Home Is A Question Mark’ and ‘I Started...’ though he should drop ‘You’ll Be Gone’ as opener, after a 3hr wait it kills a lot of the build up.

Sadly the crowd was a bit lethargic and never really popped (aside from the ‘big’ moments e.g. ‘Suedehead’ ‘Spent..’ ‘How Soon?’ ‘Sunday’ ‘Irish Blood’) and standing up it seemed like you either had to be stood stone still or tearing lumps out of each other.
There was also a huge and aggressive looking security guard at side stage so I think that put people off going ocer the barrier.
Still, i really enjoyed it, loved hearing ‘Hold On To Your Friends’ ‘Home Is A Question Mark’ and ‘I Started...’ though he should drop ‘You’ll Be Gone’ as opener, after a 3hr wait it kills a lot of the build up.

Morrissey’s bodyguard.

Really agree with what some others have said. 'You'll be gone', should be gone, why block a set list with covers at the expense of 'Speedway' and I'm not sorry' which I believe got an airing the other night and is one of his very best. Crowd doesn't warm to most of the LIHS stuff, and 'If you don't like...' was flat as a witches' tit!

I actually found MAD1958 quite emotional and poignant with the footage behind. Perhaps it's just because its just been the anniversary.

To the bell-end saying it looks like half an arena, that's the design, like an indoor ampitheatre/half circle shape. There's no more arena hidden behind the stage. It was an impressive crowd, given the reception to LIHS material I was surprised so many were there.

For the record, I was sat in the same block as an earlier photograph and there was even fighting there among the seated folk. Maybe that's just the way in Leeds(!), but to see two middle aged women being pulled apart kind of put a dampner on an already drab set!

Highlights for me: Suedehead, I Started, HSIN?, Jack the ripper, HIAQM... & no MIM!

Negatives: I Bury, If you don't like, Elvis karaoke and Pretenders nonsense.

Last edited:
Typical of a Leeds show judging by the comments. It’s a bit like Liverpool...full of thugs

Can someone satisfy my curiosity and explain what the photo was on the screen at the end once Morrissey had left the stage? Was it really a man blowing his brains out?

Can someone satisfy my curiosity and explain what the photo was on the screen at the end once Morrissey had left the stage? Was it really a man blowing his brains out?
500full.jpg

Click 'spoiler' to see the exact scene from the film:
giphy.gif
This one? Yes, it was - the whole film is bizarre.
This image / footage appears after 'El Dedo's' image of sugar skull Moz.
It is from Jean Cocteau's very surreal (1932) 'The Blood of a Poet' (Le sang d'un poète).

280full.jpg

Regards,
FWD.

Last edited:

And from the venue itself:

Regards,
FWD.

Thank you for the pictures. Surely it can't be denied that people turned out in force to witness a force of nature. To view such an audience brings me back to the days when I saw him live and I can't help but be jealous. Rather than quibble over the set list let's give him the slightest credit for maintaining an audience over so many years of refusal to bow to the desires for a greatest hits tour.

I am squarely in the midst of those wanting more of the past, but in an internet world where anything we want is seconds away he stays true to himself, and whether you want the songs that you can't have there is still the incredible joy of watching the man live singing the songs that mean the most to him.

After all, for me at least, it is not the songs he sung that remain with me, but just seeing him in person remembering a smile or turn of phrase that made me feal included in his world, the one that he created himself....from nothing. To still be carrying on even now after all these years is a true feet, miracle, and blessing. Hopefully there will be many years to come.

Last edited:

And this is the crux of the problem with the set list. He either doesn't care at all about the flow of his concerts or he is simply unaware of how to control the ebb and flow of emotion. Most bands start off with a few really strong crowd pleasers to get the energy up, and then mix a few of the newer songs and B-sides into the mix with other powerful songs that carry the energy through to the end where they kill it.

At his concerts most people are on their feet wanting to feed off the energy he is so capable of providing, but then strings four down tempo songs basically letting the air out of the balloon. Spreading 5 or 6 well known songs throughout the entire concert is not the way to engage the crowd. I agree with comments surrounding the Cure in this regard, which was one of the best concerts I ever attended. If Moz wants to keep his concerts under 1 1/2 hours fine, but a little more of his best creations would go a long way to motivating the crowd to participate.

Wonderful show as ever, I think that was my 26th or 27th since 1991, and it was right up there in the top 5. The new stuff is excellent, the voice is superb and there were too many highlights to mention really.

I suppose this site isn't really the place anymore for a positive review but who cares. Great to see the arena full despite some people on here trying to make out pre show pics of the crowd were taken during the show as you'd expect...

No, Life, Is A Pigsty, IT IS. We - most of us sensible folks - usually (almost certainly) - 'weedle' out the shit from various folks (administrators usually) who seem to think criticism is dished out forever and ever...and goodness knows what for.....For having an opinion and a fantastic life ? These fools are all over the world, sadly, which is why the world is in the state that it is now.

Thank you for posting.

Hazard
x

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom