"Kill Uncle" at 30: Oddball album or timeless classic? - Dickie Felton

Link from Dickie:

"Kill Uncle" at 30: Oddball album or timeless classic? - Dickie Felton

full

If you want to add two tracks, why not two from these far superior 1991 Nevin tracks: I've Changed My Plea/Pregnant For the Last Time/My Love Life. At least letting Asian Rut slide down the tracklist is a good call. I quite like the song, but as a second track it really kills the momentum. On the positive side, I had forgotten how lovely I'm the End of the Family Line is.

good ☺👍

If I remember correctly, Nevin was playing with another, small-time band & had some dates booked to play with them. These dates clashed with the dates Morrissey’s tour began & Nevin decided he couldn’t let his band down.

Bit of a mistake, I’d say, but I do admire his loyalty.

Would have been interesting to know the composition of the band had Marc Nevin decided to join. Would it have been Nevin instead of Boz? Or would it have been the same 4 lads + Nevin on keyboards and additional guitar? Or Boz + Nevin + other musicians (but not Alain and his band members)?

I liked it at the time, but now find it unlistenable bar SYL and Driving.

Would have been interesting to know the composition of the band had Marc Nevin decided to join. Would it have been Nevin instead of Boz? Or would it have been the same 4 lads + Nevin on keyboards and additional guitar? Or Boz + Nevin + other musicians (but not Alain and his band members)?
I think in the Sing Your Life video there was Spencer, Gary, Alain and Mark Nevin, so maybe that's how it would have panned out, going forward?

Now that Moz is (once again) without a record label, I doubt it will happen but...... I'd love to buy a KU vinyl reissue (with original artwork and songs) and just sit down and listen to it with no distractions. Only then could I decide how much I like it. Tapes and CDs and mp3s and Spotify/streaming don't offer the same immersive experience. At least not to me.

Would have been interesting to know the composition of the band had Marc Nevin decided to join. Would it have been Nevin instead of Boz? Or would it have been the same 4 lads + Nevin on keyboards and additional guitar? Or Boz + Nevin + other musicians (but not Alain and his band
I think in the Sing Your Life video there was Spencer, Gary, Alain and Mark Nevin, so maybe that's how it would have panned out, going forward?

Most likely, as I believe Boz was the last to join.

Now that Moz is (once again) without a record label, I doubt it will happen but...... I'd love to buy a KU vinyl reissue (with original artwork and songs) and just sit down and listen to it with no distractions. Only then could I decide how much I like it. Tapes and CDs and mp3s and Spotify/streaming don't offer the same immersive experience. At least not to me.

Unfortunately, the vinyl reissues that didn’t happen looked like they were all going to be based on the butchered later track listings, rather than the originals. Why does Moz do this? I believe Vauxhall & I is the only reissue that remained true to the original artwork & songs?

There should be a vinyl boxed-set of all of his albums in their original configurations with faithful reproductions of all sleeve artwork; nothing tampered with.

Unfortunately, the vinyl reissues that didn’t happen looked like they were all going to be based on the butchered later track listings, rather than the originals. Why does Moz do this? I believe Vauxhall & I is the only reissue that remained true to the original artwork & songs?

There should be a vinyl boxed-set of all of his albums in their original configurations with faithful reproductions of all sleeve artwork; nothing tampered with.
The 2014 Your Arsenal was the same as the original (insert aside)

if the artwork is the same as it was 30 years ago,people wont buy it because its almost identical to the original product,people need more these days.

2014 Vauxhall has different artwork with different font and layout and Quarry era pictures replacing the original ones.
2014 Arsenal also has different design and pictures and has the single version of Tomorrow instead of album version.

Most likely, as I believe Boz was the last to join.

That is possible. But I remember reading that Boz was recommended to him by Cathal (the guy from Madness), there was also a recent photo of the 3 together on Central recently. And I also thought that Morrissey found Alain & friends through Boz. Of course, none of this would contradict the fact that Boz ended up taking Nevin's place after the latter decided not to join the band.

Is oddball supposed to be a criticism? Referring to Morrissey and his output as "oddball" is like criticising water for being too wet.

if the artwork is the same as it was 30 years ago,people wont buy it because its almost identical to the original product,people need more these days.

I’m sure there’s a market for faithful reproductions of the original albums with sleeve art work & track listings untampered with.

For me, it’s mostly the musical content I’d like to see left alone, though; even though a lot of the alternate cover art has been questionable, at best.

2014 Vauxhall has different artwork with different font and layout and Quarry era pictures replacing the original ones.
2014 Arsenal also has different design and pictures and has the single version of Tomorrow instead of album version.

Are you talking about new pictures in a gatefold, back cover or inner sleeves? As far as I’m aware, the front covers to both of those reissues used the same image for the front cover, at least. I couldn’t say whether the fonts are different...

Tomorrow may be a different mix - & I’d prefer the original album mixes myself - but I was talking more about keeping the original track listings intact, without replacing any tracks & adding b-sides or home demos etc.

Maybe it's as simple as Kill Uncle was the first time Morrissey really went out on his own post-Smiths and didn't benefit from well known and trusted collaborators. By the time we get to Your Arsenal that's changed, but Kill Uncle documents that awkward in-between phase.

To honest, whatever is re-issued will have to be significantly more interesting than a different cover, remastered tracks, etc. Something along the lines of a real introspective, incorporating the key players in making the album happen would be a thought. But how much out there that already isn't known (by us the fans) is even out there?

MrShoes

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom