Ken Jennings defends racist, anti-semitic friend

A

Anonymous

Ken Jennings' Twitter banner:

Eq1cVgvW4AI5kMj

It seems like people are trying to kneecap Ken Jennings just in case there's a chance that he gets selected as the permanent Jeopardy host. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the people digging this stuff up (tweets that his podcast co-host made eight years ago) are LeVar Burton fans:

EDIT: Anonymous person, help me out with something Jeopardy! related will you? Let's say there's a Final Jeopardy clue and the correct response is 'A Confederacy of Dunces', but the response I give is 'The Confederacy of Dunces'; would that be considered a right or wrong response on Jeopardy? Also, in a clue in the Double Jeopardy! round, the correct response is 'Long Day's Journey into Night' but I say 'A Long Day's Journey into Night', would that be taken as a right response or ruled incorrect? Thanks!

Double EDIT!: The anonymous LeVar Burton fanboy or fangirl is ignoring my question about Jeopardy! rulings, and even erased that part when he or she quoted my post, so maybe @rifke, @!Viva Hate!, @The.Truth. or any other Jeopardy! fans in attendance will answer the question for me instead. My feeling is that the 'A Long Day's Journey' response is fine but that the Final Jeopardy! 'Confederacy of Dunces' response would be ruled incorrect, what do you guys think?!?

Final EDIT!: @Aubrey McFate are you not going to respond to my question either? :unsure:

Last edited:
It seems like people are trying to kneecap Ken Jennings just in case there's a chance that he gets selected as the permanent Jeopardy host.

Ken Jennings is defending racist and anti-semitic comments made by his friend. He shouldn't be doing that.

"One day celebrities might learn that some things are indefensible, no matter how much you like someone, and that it’s not “cancel culture” out to take someone down when the person in question refers to “mud-people” and has a significant number of anti-Semitic and homophobic tweets over the period of a number of years. That’s just calling out what someone has said themselves and you don’t have to defend that.

You could, say, choose to condemn it and even say you’ll address it on your podcast with them if you really want to give them a platform to defend how they’ve changed, but going on Twitter to insist that this thing he’s said over and over isn’t consistent with their character is not the move. Alas, Jennings has made the worst choice possible and Holzhauer dipped a toe in the pool thinking it was fun and games only to come to find it very much isn’t.

We’ll have to wait and see if anything comes of this from any of Jennings’ TV show partners in the form of an official statement, but at the very least, the man who was at the peak of his popularity and seemed a near lock to take over a rather cushy gig on the ever-popular Jeopardy! has now put that in, no pun intended, jeopardy by defending some truly abhorrent tweets."

More here:

I never liked Ken Jennings to begin with. He has this irksome, squeaky-clean, Mormon aura. Just look at that honor-roll smile. And the other famous all-time champion, Brad, was a complete "bro" turd. I was rooting for Watson the Computer all the way against those two. My favorite Jeopardy! contestant was a guy named Karl who wore sweaters all the time and always kept his hands clasped behind his back. He was rigid, solemn, and no-nonsense. In his posture I suppose he was the Liam Gallagher of Jeopardy! Karl would've been late nineties or early aughts. More recently, I liked the aggressive Asian fellow named Arthur who would wildly switch from one category to another as a psych-out strategy, never letting his opponents get into a rhythm or a groove. He also had some flippant and terse exchanges with Alex (R.I.P.).

It seems like people are trying to kneecap Ken Jennings just in case there's a chance that he gets selected as the permanent Jeopardy host. I'm going to go out on a limb and assume that the people digging this stuff up (tweets that his podcast co-host made eight years ago) are LeVar Burton fans:

EDIT: Anonymous person, help me out with something Jeopardy! related will you? Let's say there's a Final Jeopardy clue and the correct response is 'A Confederacy of Dunces', but the response I give is 'The Confederacy of Dunces'; would that be considered a right or wrong response on Jeopardy? Also, in a clue in the Double Jeopardy! round, the correct response is 'Long Day's Journey into Night' but I say 'A Long Day's Journey into Night', would that be taken as a right response or ruled incorrect? Thanks!

Double EDIT!: The anonymous LeVar Burton fanboy or fangirl is ignoring my question about Jeopardy! rulings, and even erased that part when he or she quoted my post, so maybe @rifke, @!Viva Hate!, @The.Truth. or any other Jeopardy! fans in attendance will answer the question for me instead. My feeling is that the 'A Long Day's Journey' response is fine but that the Final Jeopardy! 'Confederacy of Dunces' response would be ruled incorrect, what do you guys think?!?

Final EDIT!: @Aubrey McFate are you not going to respond to my question either? :unsure:
None of those are correct as you did not put them in the form of a question.

IT'S OK EVERYBODY! BEAN DAD WAS USING RACIST, HOMOPHOBIC AND ANTI-SEMITIC WORDS "ironically and sarcastically"! IF YOU CAN BELIEVE THAT BOLLOCKS!!!

There is no sign of irony or sarcasm is his reply here or others above:

Eq1cVgvW4AI5kMj

I dont feel the need to control what someone thinks of anything. I have courage, believe in myself, and not threatened by others beliefs.

If you are scared, and have bpd, which about 40%, of population have, ANYTHING threatens you. Its why skinny gets bent so easy. He has no courage. I would NEVER ever date a man with no courage.

So run along children and get some help to deal with your mental problems and start enjoying life.

No racism no isms, just the sweet little bus that is back on the road

I'm certain that the anon Levar Burton fan is seething about it, but Ken Jennings is off to a good start* as Jeopardy guest host. I wouldn't mind seeing him get the job permanently and go on to host it for the next 30 years or so. No other logical successors come to mind and I've thought about that a bit. Jennings lacks Alex Trebek's showbiz flair but I think he can grow more into the role, particularly by the start of the next season when there's a new set and possibly people back in attendance. He's guest hosting for the next four weeks and then other people are taking over for a while, seemingly for a week or two each.

The names I've seen listed so far as confirmed guest hosts are Katie Couric, Mike Richards (Jeopardy Executive Producer - he must fancy getting his face on tv), Aaron Rodgers (American football quarterback, I might skip that week, I expect plenty of American sports questions to show up), Mayim Bialik of Big Bang Theory fame, and Bill Whittaker (60 Minutes correspondent). Dane Cook has apparently also been asked. I can't say any of these guest hosts set my world alight. I think they should ask Pat Sajak to do a week as well, a couple of months ago I watched the April Fool's Day 1997 episode of Jeopardy that he hosted and I liked the job he did. I saw someone say that they should ask Will Ferrell, which could be interesting, but I think you need someone who won't overshadow the show (which Will Ferrell obviously would, when he's coming out on the stage riding a Segway and doing sight gags by his third week).

Speaking of being off to a good start, I've got 9 out of 10 of the 'Final Jeopardy' clues right from the episodes that Jennings has hosted, which is my best run of Final Jeopardy correct responses since I started watching the show last March (I've watched 155 episodes in the past 310 days, including about seven 1980s episodes that I found on Vimeo, but mostly it's been episodes from 2016-2021). I had been in a Final Jeopardy slump for a while and came close to my overall FJ score dropping lower than 50%. I haven't counted to see where it is now but it must be gone back up to the mid 50s and with any luck will stay on that trajectory :pray:

I'm posting this in here since this is now the unofficial Jeopardy!/general quiz show thread:

The last 5-day champion of the Alex Trebek era of Jeopardy!, Brayden Smith, died on February 5th aged 24. (His last episode was broadcast on January 5th 2021, Alex's last episode was broadcast January 8th 2021.) No cause of death has been given.

White people in America have to be careful about what they do with their hands while in public due to mass paranoia and mental illness.

500 former Jeopardy contestants signing an open letter to condemn the fact that a white male held up three fingers on camera (to signify that he had won three games) because it looked like the 'OK' sign is off-the-charts paranoia. They've ruined his Jeopardy experience of course, because now it will always be tied to unfounded "white supremacy" allegations, but they don't care about that. If it had been found out that he had been a member of or donated money to a white supremacist group then that would be one thing,
or if he had pulled out a white hood and put it on while the camera was on him,
at least there would have been evidence behind their claims, but his only "crime" was holding up three fingers on camera.

www.google.com

Winthrop man denies making racist hand gesture on ‘Jeopardy!’ after 500-plus former contestants sign open letter

"I’m truly horrified with what has been posted about me on social media."

A key line from the 'open letter': "We cannot stand up for hate. We cannot stand next to hate. We cannot stand onstage with something that looks like hate." Something that looks like hate. Also "we hope to see changes made so that future mistakes of this magnitude never make it on air" -- this magnitude. I don't know if the people who signed the letter knew exactly what they were signing, I assume they did (if it's even genuine, numerous news sites have reported on it but none of the sites seem to have attempted to verify that the 500 contestants adding their name to the letter is real), but whoever wrote the letter and apparently asked former contestants to sign it is a basket case.

And with all that being said, I have zero respect for this guy for coming out and "apologizing" for the gesture. The only way to deal with these people is never to apologize for anything. A stony silence would be preferable to genuflecting before the mob.

I wrote the following post as Turbanus.cro in July 2019, it was tongue in cheek and hyperbolic but obviously there was a ring of truth to it so I'm going to paste it here:

"Imagine being too afraid to lift your arm upright, your own limb which belongs to you. That you could lose your career or have the police at your door for being caught with your arm upright :crazy:

Similar to how some kooks over in the USA were freaking out recently about the 'OK' sign, claiming that it was a secret symbol for 'white power'. Even if it was what they claimed it to be, it's someone else's hand and they can make a circle with their thumb and forefinger if they choose. Imagine thinking you have some control over what other people do with their arms and fingers :handok::crazy:

And imagine policing yourself and being self-conscious about what height you lift your arm to, just in case someone sees you and thinks you're saluting Hitler :man:

But only if you're white, that is. It's preferable to have you like a prisoner in your own body where even your body language and movement of your arms and fingers is constantly monitored :rolleyes:
21st century society is 24/7 White Man Bootcamp. Atten hut! :policeofficer::ha-no: "

White people in America have to be careful about what they do with their hands while in public due to mass paranoia and mental illness.

500 former Jeopardy contestants signing an open letter to condemn the fact that a white male held up three fingers on camera (to signify that he had won three games) because it looked like the 'OK' sign is off-the-charts paranoia. They've ruined his Jeopardy experience of course, because now it will always be tied to unfounded "white supremacy" allegations, but they don't care about that. If it had been found out that he had been a member of or donated money to a white supremacist group then that would be one thing,
or if he had pulled out a white hood and put it on while the camera was on him,
at least there would have been evidence behind their claims, but his only "crime" was holding up three fingers on camera.

www.google.com

Winthrop man denies making racist hand gesture on ‘Jeopardy!’ after 500-plus former contestants sign open letter

"I’m truly horrified with what has been posted about me on social media."

A key line from the 'open letter': "We cannot stand up for hate. We cannot stand next to hate. We cannot stand onstage with something that looks like hate." Something that looks like hate. Also "we hope to see changes made so that future mistakes of this magnitude never make it on air" -- this magnitude. I don't know if the people who signed the letter knew exactly what they were signing, I assume they did (if it's even genuine, numerous news sites have reported on it but none of the sites seem to have attempted to verify that the 500 contestants adding their name to the letter is real), but whoever wrote the letter and apparently asked former contestants to sign it is a basket case.

And with all that being said, I have zero respect for this guy for coming out and "apologizing" for the gesture. The only way to deal with these people is never to apologize for anything. A stony silence would be preferable to genuflecting before the mob.

I wrote the following post as Turbanus.cro in July 2019, it was tongue in cheek and hyperbolic but obviously there was a ring of truth to it so I'm going to paste it here:

"Imagine being too afraid to lift your arm upright, your own limb which belongs to you. That you could lose your career or have the police at your door for being caught with your arm upright :crazy:

Similar to how some kooks over in the USA were freaking out recently about the 'OK' sign, claiming that it was a secret symbol for 'white power'. Even if it was what they claimed it to be, it's someone else's hand and they can make a circle with their thumb and forefinger if they choose. Imagine thinking you have some control over what other people do with their arms and fingers :handok::crazy:

And imagine policing yourself and being self-conscious about what height you lift your arm to, just in case someone sees you and thinks you're saluting Hitler :man:

But only if you're white, that is. It's preferable to have you like a prisoner in your own body where even your body language and movement of your arms and fingers is constantly monitored :rolleyes:
21st century society is 24/7 White Man Bootcamp. Atten hut! :policeofficer::ha-no: "

If you'd won three games then you'd naturally hold up the first three fingers, index finger first. Try it.

Back
Top Bottom