Jonze's reaction to the current front page story

2-J

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/11/jonze_nme_morrissey.html - near bottom of the comments

timjonze
Comment No. 813920
December 2 3:39
Bangkok/tha Oh dear. Right. I was in New York writing a piece on Morrissey. Morrissey WAS charming. I WAS a big Smiths fan. I WAS nervous before the interview. All true. Of course I needed guest list for the gigs, it was essential to the story. The gigs were also very good. Great, in fact. I wrote all this in the original piece. Maybe one day I'll be able to print what I wrote and you will see that. Who knows.

Now, if I'd come screaming out of the interview shouting "HE'S USING THE LANGUAGE OF THE BNP, I'M GOING TO TELL THE WORLD" then I'd never have got to see the gigs (essential part of my brief) and I'd have had pressure from management to swing the piece in their favour which, although it wouldn't have made a difference, I'd sooner not have to put up with. There's no obligation to tell management that you don't like their artist's comments. It's his own stupid fault for spouting all that drivel. By now, Morrissey should really know how interviews work. He doesn't deserve warnings and copy approval. Christ, he wasn't even ASKED about immigration.

Journalists can't strop off in disgust during an interview, just because they don't agree with their interviewee. Their sole purpose of being there is for the readers of the magazine, to get the story as accurate as possible.

Also, I didn't write this blog for publicity as some people have suggested (come on, I'm getting a right load of abuse here, it's not much fun!). I wrote it simply because the story in the press that Moz had been stiched up by NME and I was trying to cover up his comments was NOT TRUE. Honestly, that is all. If something's not true, why not put it right?

I have no problem with Moz saying he is "nostalgic for his working class background" as some people have suggested. Sadly, he didn't say this. For someone so good with words, he certainly can't find the right ones if this was what he meant. I also have no problem with him saying the country has changed, or that he is against immigration for sensible reasons. All fine if that's what he thinks. But his language is not fine. The language he used isn't helpful to anyone in a sensible discussion about immigration. Also, I didn't say he was like a member of the BNP, either. I said he was using the LANGUAGE of the BNP. This is true. Check out their website.

Do some of you not find it just a little bit desperate that Merck is posting all these private emails as some kind of proof that his artist is in the right? He's not tackling the issue at all, just trying to muddy it by printing my emails to him. Why doesn't Moz make a comment on race instead, as Love Music Hate Racism have called for in a very well worded press release? Presumably this is up online somewhere?

Tim

Ps Thanks to those of you who have posted reasonable comments on this, either for or against my blog. The discussion on this is very important and interesting. It's a shame there's so much nonsense drowning it out

http://blogs.guardian.co.uk/music/2007/11/jonze_nme_morrissey.html - near bottom of the comments

timjonze
Comment No. 813920
Why doesn't Moz make a comment on race instead, as Love Music Hate Racism have called for in a very well worded press release? Presumably this is up online somewhere?

Tim

Ps Thanks to those of you who have posted reasonable comments on this, either for or against my blog. The discussion on this is very important and interesting. It's a shame there's so much nonsense drowning it out

Dear Tim, The discussion is important? I thought there was no room for grey areas?
Why doesn't Moz put out a statement? Why should he? Why would he? 'well worded...' I think you meant sanctimonious and patronising.

My 2 cents - I'm not sure if it matters either way if he WAS using the 'language of the BNP'. So f***ing what?? He wasn't making the same point, in any way, that the BNP are trying to make (even Jonze admits this, really). So you can use the same language to make two different points, right. So who gives a shit if some of the 'language' was the same as the BNP uses (if it even is, I think you'll find there is at the very least a vast difference in tone).

I think some of Morrissey's words were ill-judged and he should have toned them down a bit. He was especially f***ing stupid to talk about it to a 27 year old trendy NME reporter who, as soon as he heard the word immigration, was bound to think Asians and muslims.

However, to accuse him of using the language of the BNP is to show no understanding of exactly where the BNP get their language from. The truth is they steal the language from people who might have genuine concerns in order to try and make themselves more acceptable and safe.

In the same way they steal the flag, they steal the issues. Then as soon as the BNP get hold of an issue no one can talk about it anymore. It becomes taboo. To say we can't discuss what they discuss because it is using their language is giving in to them really.

It's worth reading all the comments in this blog ^^^. Many different views are expressed on immigration, race and the need for informed debate. About the relevance of the NME and the quality of Jonze's reporting. But very little that agrees with Jonze's opinions.

Will the original transcripts ever see the light of day? Will the people be allowed to make their own minds up by reading an unedited interview? If Jonze is so certain of Morrissey's culpability there should be no reluctance on his part...

Was it just me imagining it, or did NME say they couldn't get hold of the original taping of the interview? I'm sure I read it somewhere....
But anyway...Yes, the comments are definitely worth reading, they are extremely even-handed (for the most part)
It's all becoming a "grey area", I feel now....Hmmm...."grey area"....Hmmm....Whe...Hmmmm....

Jonze is like one of those guys you see on Maury Povich who goes out on stage screaming, "that ain't my baby! the woman's a ho!"

either way, the man needs to quit whining and take responsibility for what he's done. He could have dropped the interview all together if talking to Morrissey disgusted him so much....but he didn't. He was perfectly OK with swallowing his beliefs in the name of getting some free tickets to a show, living it up on somebody else's dime in NYC, and getting a couple of bucks for an interview. Now, he's pulling the, "look at me! I wasn't bought off by the racist scum!" act.

Whatever. His acts are wishy-washy and spineless down the road.

Jonze is like one of those guys you see on Maury Povich who goes out on stage screaming, "that ain't my baby! the woman's a ho!"

either way, the man needs to quit whining and take responsibility for what he's done. He could have dropped the interview all together if talking to Morrissey disgusted him so much....but he didn't. He was perfectly OK with swallowing his beliefs in the name of getting some free tickets to a show, living it up on somebody else's dime in NYC, and getting a couple of bucks for an interview. Now, he's pulling the, "look at me! I wasn't bought off by the racist scum!" act.

Whatever. His acts are wishy-washy and spineless down the road.

You're right, how could he even go to the shows if Morrissey disgusted him so much? Even if he was going to 'finish the story' (in which there was no mention of the gig) why would he want to invite his friends if Morrissey had offended his delicate sensibilities so much? Why not change his profile picture, which celebrates a famous landmark in The Smiths history?
He's completely odious and without integrity.

timjonze
Comment No. 813920
Bangkok/tha Oh dear. Right. I was in New York writing a piece on Morrissey. Morrissey WAS charming. I WAS a big Smiths fan. I WAS nervous before the interview. All true. Of course I needed guest list for the gigs, it was essential to the story. The gigs were also very good. Great, in fact. I wrote all this in the original piece. Maybe one day I'll be able to print what I wrote and you will see that. Who knows.

Now, if I'd come screaming out of the interview shouting "HE'S USING THE LANGUAGE OF THE BNP, I'M GOING TO TELL THE WORLD" then I'd never have got to see the gigs (essential part of my brief) and I'd have had pressure from management to swing the piece in their favour which, although it wouldn't have made a difference, I'd sooner not have to put up with. There's no obligation to tell management that you don't like their artist's comments. It's his own stupid fault for spouting all that drivel. By now, Morrissey should really know how interviews work. He doesn't deserve warnings and copy approval. Christ, he wasn't even ASKED about immigration.

Journalists can't strop off in disgust during an interview, just because they don't agree with their interviewee. Their sole purpose of being there is for the readers of the magazine, to get the story as accurate as possible.

Also, I didn't write this blog for publicity as some people have suggested (come on, I'm getting a right load of abuse here, it's not much fun!). I wrote it simply because the story in the press that Moz had been stiched up by NME and I was trying to cover up his comments was NOT TRUE. Honestly, that is all. If something's not true, why not put it right?

I have no problem with Moz saying he is "nostalgic for his working class background" as some people have suggested. Sadly, he didn't say this. For someone so good with words, he certainly can't find the right ones if this was what he meant. I also have no problem with him saying the country has changed, or that he is against immigration for sensible reasons. All fine if that's what he thinks. But his language is not fine. The language he used isn't helpful to anyone in a sensible discussion about immigration. Also, I didn't say he was like a member of the BNP, either. I said he was using the LANGUAGE of the BNP. This is true. Check out their website.

Do some of you not find it just a little bit desperate that Merck is posting all these private emails as some kind of proof that his artist is in the right? He's not tackling the issue at all, just trying to muddy it by printing my emails to him. Why doesn't Moz make a comment on race instead, as Love Music Hate Racism have called for in a very well worded press release? Presumably this is up online somewhere?

Tim

What a pathetic, unprincipled, deceitful little man.

My 2 cents - I'm not sure if it matters either way if he WAS using the 'language of the BNP'. So f***ing what?? He wasn't making the same point, in any way, that the BNP are trying to make (even Jonze admits this, really). So you can use the same language to make two different points, right. So who gives a shit if some of the 'language' was the same as the BNP uses (if it even is, I think you'll find there is at the very least a vast difference in tone).

good point! Hell, GW speaks English... should I drop speaking English?

This is what I wrote about it...

Jonze:"I'm getting a right load of abuse here, it's not much fun!"

Yes, now you have had a taste of the consequences... this is what happens when you pursue a political or monetary goal at the expense of an artist, the truth, or balanced journalism.

See? squirming like a lying politician is "not much fun." I suggest you learn from the mistake and remember the taste so you don't follow this political path of yours any further... any deeper.

Remember Jonze, next time that you lie in order to defend your job or source of income - that one lie is the beginning of a huge web and effects an entire chain of events. Change one brick and the entire house begins to crumble and it will continue to do so. One lie means every single fact in that chain of events will have to be changed in order to fit that lie. Did you think squirming and justifying and rebuilding a crumbling house as you sit inside that house would be "much fun?"

Would have made more sense to stand by your original attitude and just look for another job man. You are squirming and you are not very convincing or good at it. That is a good sign, you are even worse at it than Conor... that means there is some hope for you to stop being political, it has not become a part of you yet... why not call this one a loss and just stop now before it really becomes a way of life for you?

Since when does an article about Morrissey require three friends - were you doing a poll or a focus group on the shows?

Why not interview people at the show? There were plenty of photographers at the shows... why not get pics via the normal route? Or did Conor forget to assign a photographer? Is that what we will read tomorrow? Or that you were not trying to get passes for your buddies, but the NME was doing a focus group on the concert the next day and 3 specifically chosen people who have unbiased views on racism needed passes to the show as part of the project? The photographer was specially selected because he has shot several civil rights documentaries in the past and he needed a pass from Merck - you had to make sure you didn't blow your cover right?

And as far as you not calling Morrissey a racist goes... then why do I even know about the slogan Love Music Hate Racism? I certainly do not read your magazine so if racism has nothing to do with what you are calling Morrissey then why does that word come up at all?

It is "not much fun" to watch somebody squirm like you have been during the past few days. I suppose I could have a few drinks, sit back, and laugh at you... but I prefer to remain sober and contemplate what a shame it is - how sad it is to watch somebody actually turn political in order to save their skin and paycheck. It is actually kind of sad to watch somebody flush morals down the drain, drag somebody else through the mud, and squirm like a dirty lying politician - just for a stupid paycheck. Because that's what it looks like...

You know, you really should have plead da fif.

1,2,3,4 . . .
Fif.jpg

this guy is an asshole,now he`s complaining about all the attention he`s getting ha ha ha ha ha, come on , who believes him? he loves attention........this guy is so pathetic :rolleyes:

What's the big fuss? Why does one man's comment make this such a big subject. Journalists are mostly liars, it's part of the job. Why read. Why get angry? It's easy - just dismiss it and grant the rest of the population with the intelligence to do the same. The more people discuss this, tyhe more room there is for ambiguity and confusion. Mozza isn't a racist. End of

Back
Top Bottom