Johnny Marr's son calls Morrissey a racist on Instagram

EgY7B7-XkAA1LVk

Related item:

Last edited by a moderator:
Is it insane though, one has had a solo career for 32 years, the other has had a true solo career for 7 years. In that 7 years he has had 3 top 10 albums, the last one selling more than Morrissey's last 2 in the UK, he played to a huge crowd at Glastonbury with a solo set and then an even larger crowd playing a couple of songs with The Killers, he's recently written the music score for the latest James Bond film with Hans Zimmer and played a number of sell out shows across the UK.

Who knows what the future holds but in Manchester it feels like the futures Johnny's and Morrissey is the past.

I'm not sure Johnny can take full credit for some of those achievements. James Bond, Glasto etc were established projects with bigger names and he was lucky to gain exposure by being invited to guest, or piggy-backing on them. Whereas Morrissey did a fantastic Glasto set on his own steam, and lots of other festivals over the years. Johnny is riding the wave of 2 or 3 fortunate things:

- younger Smiths fans see him as the 'cool' guy & the Smith it is acceptable to like
- older fans have been waiting decades for Marr to lead something and there seems to be an attitude of "FINALLY!!!" over his solo endeavours
- Marr was always over-shadowed by M so Morrissey's PR disasters have been beneficial for him
- he is being more prolific, vocal and ambitious now than he has been at any time since the 80s - Autobio, book signings, speaking engagements at the Oxford union, etc.

I hope the wave continues because I love the guy, but I don't think it can compare to Morrissey's career. Johnny waited so long to go down the 'solo' path that he's now adding bells to a legacy that was built in his absence, and built on the Smiths. And the trouble with being thought of as 'cool' is that you fall out of fashion.

No, it's more than sales. It's art. He's properly unique. Great writer. Great look. Complex personality. No matter how underground it gets, eventually someone will write the book or the article or make the documentary that establishes his reputation.

View attachment 58758

Bands like New Order /Joy Division have already had numerous books and films written about them, do you really think the same will happen for Morrissey?

Yeah there’s so many hardcore Johnny Marr fans out there, bedroom walls plastered with his posters, closets full of Johnny Marr shirts, tattoos. bumper stickers etc!! And the crowd at Marr concerts is insane! So many stage invaders just wanting to touch their idol!! Hilarious...

Steve's done a lot of odd stuff that has indeed added to the legend. But being exposed as as a deeply unpleasant and idiotic liar by Der Spiegel, telling the whole world he prefers his own race, and urging people to vote for a nasty, far right, protect the rich political party has done absolutely nothing other than lost him tens of thousands of fans, and put off any record company from ever signing him again.

You're deeply invested in that distortion - which proves my point not yours. You wouldn't keep lying if he didn't matter.

Bands like New Order /Joy Division have already had numerous books and films written about them, do you really think the same will happen for Morrissey?

There are already a gazillion books about Moz though. As for the big re-appraisal which could salvage his reputation ... that will probably be posthumous now, sadly.

Yeah there’s so many hardcore Johnny Marr fans out there, bedroom walls plastered with his posters, closets full of Johnny Marr shirts, tattoos. bumper stickers etc!! And the crowd at Marr concerts is insane! So many stage invaders just wanting to touch their idol!! Hilarious...

Hey Ray, Im not saying Johnny will ever reach the heights of Morrissey's past career but right now he's doing really well for himself. If that bothers you, that's your problem.

Assuming it was a joke

Well seen as the question was “fav smiths song” and his answer was a t shirt that says “Morrissey is a racist” which to my knowledge is not the title of anything released by the smiths, id say it had a “joke” element. Though I’m Not saying Nile doesn’t believe it.

I'm not sure Johnny can take full credit for some of those achievements. James Bond, Glasto etc were established projects with bigger names and he was lucky to gain exposure by being invited to guest, or piggy-backing on them. Whereas Morrissey did a fantastic Glasto set on his own steam, and lots of other festivals over the years. Johnny is riding the wave of 2 or 3 fortunate things:

- younger Smiths fans see him as the 'cool' guy & the Smith it is acceptable to like
- older fans have been waiting decades for Marr to lead something and there seems to be an attitude of "FINALLY!!!" over his solo endeavours
- Marr was always over-shadowed by M so Morrissey's PR disasters have been beneficial for him
- he is being more prolific, vocal and ambitious now than he has been at any time since the 80s - Autobio, book signings, speaking engagements at the Oxford union, etc.

I hope the wave continues because I love the guy, but I don't think it can compare to Morrissey's career. Johnny waited so long to go down the 'solo' path that he's now adding bells to a legacy that was built in his absence, and built on the Smiths. And the trouble with being thought of as 'cool' is that you fall out of fashion.

I don't disagree with anything you say Amy, my posts are mainly to point out that Johnny is doing ok by himself.

Hmm, education is something that you clearly lack. The stunning ignorance displayed in your previous comment, seasoned with your chronic paranoia shows you up for what you are: a cowardly, paranoid racist who seemingly takes comfort in painting yourself as a victim of people who really couldn't give a tuppenny f*** about you.
You may be right about the British working classes being oppressed but they were oppressed by white British Conservatives so I'm not sure what your point is there. You seem to like to pad out your comments with irrelevant information in the vain attempt to appear knowledgeable.
And as for being encouraged to "exploit their victimhood," isn't that what you do on a daily basis on here?

What is your point? That 'black' people have never oppressed anyone? That 'black' people have never enslaved anyone? Reelfountain's comment about how the BLM campaign should look to Africa, where so many 'black' lives don't matter because of corrupt regimes or tribal conflicts. But then what does 'black' mean anyway? A simplistic 'catch-all' term that reduces everything to literally 'black and white'. Clearly if you didn't subscribe to such a simplistic way of thinking, you'd be able to comprehend that British Conservatives are are not all evil James Bond villains, and that many British Conservative voters were and are working class.

🤒

FFS there is Moz Encyclopedias :lbf: and many books and movies.
:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: doesnt have any books about his bizarre twat self.👾
or those suck groups like NO and 'Monaco'🤐
and other such sorry Hooky groups like Hooky and the LIGHT💡
oy what a twat Hooky and THE LIGHT, Hooky and the CHOCOLATE PASTE DONUT would
be more like it.🍩

Positive.

Being a tormented artist isn't a bad thing.

Seriously though, what has he achieved that would make someone think they need to make a film about him? With Joy Division Control was all about Ian's epilepsy and his problems with depression etc, for New Order it was all about Factory Records/ The Hacienda and the madness surrounding that era. What would it be for Morrissey?

Last edited:
You have a point, Marr has benefited from a revival due to his solo work and work with Gallagher, Zimmer etc.
But the Glastonbury thing Was the crowd there to hear his solo stuff or The Smiths stuff do you reckon? The Killers didn’t ask him to play “Hi Hello” did they?
I’d argue actually Morrissey’s attitude and political stuff has probably boosted Johnny’s career, all those people who claim to now “love smiths hate Morrissey” etc etc
Marr is a wonderful musician, a generational guitar giant who without, indie rock couldn’t be imagined today.
Morrissey however, is a pop star, one of the brightest ever produced IMO, as paraphrases from that documentary, he managed to turn himself into a living archetype or pop icon, something often only reserved for the immortalised dead.

🤒

the Killers may be dim💡
but are not insane that they
would sing HI HELLO and
clear the concert towards
the beer garden and
the facilities:blushing:

You're deeply invested in that distortion - which proves my point not yours. You wouldn't keep lying if he didn't matter.
On a site with its fair share of delusional f***wits, no-one comes close to you.
Steve has lost tens of thousands of fans - fact.
Steve explained that everyone prefers their own race. He has carried out no research into this matter - he obviously prefers his own race, and idiotically/sickeningly assumed everyone else feels the same.
The Der Spiegel episode revealed him to be an absolute liar - it couldn't be clearer. Fact.
He has urged everyone via a post on his website (which remains there to this day) to vote for a far-right political party. Fact.
Accusing me, ridiculously vaguely, of being a liar simply shows how empty and desperate you have become. You are nothing but a delusional laughing stock around here, and your mission to cast Steve in a more favourable light has totally failed. Time to move on.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom