Johnny Marr & The Healers play "Please, Please, Please..." on the Dermot O'Leary show, BBC Radio 2

You're gonna find this slightly anal...

"See the look I've had" - I don't think this is just Johnny's accent, but it's what it says in the Warner songbook of Louder Than Bombs. I wonder if the band have been rehearsing from sheet music?

Thanks for uploading, BTW.

You're gonna find this slightly anal...

"See the look I've had" - I don't think this is just Johnny's accent, but it's what it says in the Warner songbook of Louder Than Bombs. I wonder if the band have been rehearsing from sheet music?

Thanks for uploading, BTW.

It's luck, surely? :squiffy: I can't hear anything unusual in Johnny's accent.

i'm a little embarrassed to admit it, but that made my eyes well up. what a difference hearing marr play it. such a shame...we get morrissey's beautiful voice accompanied by so-so guitar playing, and marr's beautiful guitar playing accompanied by a so-so voice. if these two would ever get over themselves, they could rule the music world.

can't get it Dl'ed

them are rotten days

[only 19kb while its 7mb, and a bit, the host dislikes me]

Thanks for sharing I.R.:thumb:

Last edited:
So I suppose it all comes down to where you feel the soul of a song is located ~ voice or guitar. And is Boz & Jesse's rendering significantly worse than Johnny's when balanced against Johnny's rendering of Morrissey's vocal part? For me personally the vocal is the heart and soul of any song and, especially on this year's dates, the B&J version was so beautifully and sensitively done and Morrissey's....crooning :eek:...was so sublime that Johnny's version here is paltry fare in comparison. Yes, the guitar playing is definitive (how could it be anything but?) but then he opens his mouth. And it's Hello Barney. If it's a 'Mancunian folk song' then why sing it with an American accent? ("good tams" etc.)

I suspect that most people who are dismissing outright the Morrissey band version are doing so via YouTube 'evidence', which is pretty dumb. If you were actually present on any of those nights this year when they played this song then you may have felt differently.

Cannot workout where the healers reference is. I listened to the whole show and no one mentions them, and Johnny has a new band anyway. Title of post is misleading. Track is great!

Well all though Morrissey can sing he is got quite a bland/ sort of mono tone singing. wouldn't have added too much to it.

hahaaha
talk about the blind leading the blind, or the deaf leading the dumb.

So I suppose it all comes down to where you feel the soul of a song is located ~ voice or guitar. And is Boz & Jesse's rendering significantly worse than Johnny's when balanced against Johnny's rendering of Morrissey's vocal part? For me personally the vocal is the heart and soul of any song and, especially on this year's dates, the B&J version was so beautifully and sensitively done and Morrissey's....crooning :eek:...was so sublime that Johnny's version here is paltry fare in comparison. Yes, the guitar playing is definitive (how could it be anything but?) but then he opens his mouth. And it's Hello Barney. If it's a 'Mancunian folk song' then why sing it with an American accent? ("good tams" etc.)

He doesn't sing it in an American accent at all. I liked the singing here more than anything else JM's done - mainly because he isn't droning, or trying to compensate for weak vocals by barely enunciating and making the words incomprehensible and meaningless so the listener pays no attention to them (e.g. in "The Messenger"). Compare the vocals on that single to this...a million miles apart.

I hate the restructuring, the song totally loses its impact with the lyrics and music transposed over different sections.

His vocals here are fair, much better than old Healers, but not as strong as the Messenger, his guitar playing is perfect of course, but too buried in the mix next to the acoustic.

Morrissey's live versions are still better, but neither his nor Johnny's when apart, have any of that original magic.

Hmmm, hurrr, arr, welllll...
Beautifully played.
Don't like the restructuring.
Should've brought the mandolin (and finished with it).
Vocals are pleasant but nothing more (I sing it better myself).
Taking everything into account, NOT better than any live rendition Morrissey sings himself. Vocals are the heart of it.

Final word -- just play it together, you two sods!

I suspect that most people who are dismissing outright the Morrissey band version are doing so via YouTube 'evidence', which is pretty dumb. If you were actually present on any of those nights this year when they played this song then you may have felt differently.

Agreed. One of the few personal highlights of the MEN show was the rendition of Please, Please, Please. I thought it was stunning and so did my other half who is not much of a fan. Although after the Saturday night spectacle of animals being brutally killed anything would have been light relief for the casual observer! Even Golden Lights

Well, someone had to do it...

Last edited by a moderator:
Agreed. One of the few personal highlights of the MEN show was the rendition of Please, Please, Please. I thought it was stunning and so did my other half who is not much of a fan. Although after the Saturday night spectacle of animals being brutally killed anything would have been light relief for the casual observer! Even Golden Lights

likewise at edinburgh , please please was by far the best song and some real stagecraft from morrissey when the song crescendos and he stood eyes closed , arms back , stock still !! johnnys guitar playing is wonderful on this version , and his vocal is okay , but its not comparable !

It sounds similar to Clayhill's cover of the song included on the This Is England soundtrack, only it is not as good as the Clayhill version

Marr is an ace songwriter and fantastic guitar player as we all know, but his voice doesn't do anything for me. Just shows you though how great Moz could be if he had someone of Marr's calibre with him now, if only to do the old songs justice on guitar.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom