Johnny Marr on his autobiography, admits he hasn't read Morrissey's - MOJO

Johnny Marr On His Memoir: “I’ve Got An Amazing Memory!” - MOJO
The former Smith updates MOJO about progress on his autobiography. Top Of The Pops, drugs and falling off roofs all figure.

Excerpt:

The former Smith speaks about his new live album Adrenalin Baby and the book, due out next summer, in our new issue, (December 15 / #265) which is on sale now in the UK.

...Of course Marr’s is not the first memoir concerning The Smiths, though it seems unlikely there will be too many similarities between the guitarist’s literary endeavours and those published by the band’s singer.

“I honestly haven’t read Morrissey’s book,” Marr admits. “I really don’t feel like I need to. I’ve heard about what it’s like and that’s fine.”

Also:

Johnny Marr vows to keep memoir fun - new! magazine

Excerpt:

Morrissey's tome received huge critical praise for its candid narrative, but some critics took aim at the singer for using the book to launch scathing attacks on his old enemies in the music industry and even his former bandmates.

Marr is a quarter of the way through penning his life story and he is making a determined effort to avoid criticising those he has worked with, insisting he will not be giving fans any "crass sensationalism".

He tells Mojo magazine, "I honestly haven't read Morrissey's book. I really don't feel like I need to. I've heard about what it's like and that's fine. Not all of what I've been though, like anyone's life, can be dressed up to be something cheery when it wasn't. That's all right too.

"I'd like to say there's a lot of reappraisal, 'cos that would imply a certain kind of wisdom, but in the case of what happened with The Smiths, there's not really that much reappraisal. But crass sensationalism isn't really my thing, nor am I particularly interested in being nasty."

Last edited:
I don't need to read Johnny's book..Don't really feel that anyone needs to. We'll hear
what it's all about and what it's like ..and that will be fine. Anyways we all KNOW the
true story. Just read M's autobio... IT'S ALL THERE.

Okay. So, in other words he won't tell what he REALLY thinks or how he REALLY feels in order to not offend anybody. Quite telling and quite boring.

Bet he has read it, but would prefer not to discuss it so just pretends not to have read it.

Okay. So, in other words he won't tell what he REALLY thinks or how he REALLY feels in order to not offend anybody. Quite telling and quite boring.

'quite boring' = opposite of M.

And why would - or should - he tell anything now when his own book is due next year? That's basic sales technique, really.

"...crass sensationalism isn't really my thing, nor am I particularly interested in being nasty." To whom could he possibly be referring? :lbf:

- - - Updated - - -

'quite boring' = suits K Slum to a tee

N.b. Fixed it for you. No thanks necessary.

And why would - or should - he tell anything now when his own book is due next year? That's basic sales technique, really.

"...crass sensationalism isn't really my thing, nor am I particularly interested in being nasty." To whom could he possibly be referring? :lbf:

- - - Updated - - -

Dear Jammy Snobbywords,

The ANON was referring to Johnny not saying anything in his book, not now in the present interview. In which the anon said it was 'boring' that Johnny would not say anything in his book.

................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................... you IDIOT. :lbf:

"...nor am I particularly interested in being nasty."

Yeah, sure. There was a time when he was nothing else but nasty. At least some people have the guts to admit that they can be nasty sometimes. Someone seems to think that "being nice" in the last couple of years makes the previous nastiness minor. Well ...

I thought Johnny was referring to YOU when I read above quote. But how could that be? When
NO ONE HAS EVER HEARD OF YOU OR EVER WILL. silly really.

Bet he has read it, but would prefer not to discuss it so just pretends not to have read it.
This is also what I suspect. Marr had some unkind things to say about Morrissey after the Smiths split, as one anon pointed out, but these days he generally prefers diplomacy so when he first made mention of writing his memoirs, I didn't expect we'd get any major bombshells or anything particularly salacious and his new statements seem to confirm that. All I'm really hoping for is some insight into his songwriting, the Moz/Marr partnership and the Smiths recording sessions.

- - - Updated - - -

lmao :thumb:

I'm gonna read his book, but a part of me wishes he had written his autobiography right after the smiths' split or a few years after that, when he wasn't as diplomatic about moz and seemed more honest :straightface:

ironic that johnny ends up being the one with record and book contract while moz mozbotts.
who would have thought that? moz no contract of any kind. touring golf clubs while johnny remains an eminence grise in the music field writing a music memoir that will actually deal with music.

Really, they ought to have worked on a book together, because neither of their lives would have been half as interesting without the other.

Given the eleven layers of obfuscation in Morrissey's book, I look forward to reading Johnny's take on things.
It's funny that they are both prima donnas and prone to cattiness.
Hell, I'd read Andy and Mike's, although probably just during my morning shits over the course of a year or two.

Honestly, one of the most enjoyable musician autobiographies I've read in a long time was David J's "Who Killed Mr. Moonlight."
I guarantee Peter Murphy and Daniel Ash couldn't pen anything remotely as insightful or good, given that they were always boxing one another for a larger share of the spotlight. David J. comes across as a keen observer, and with a hilarious sense of humor about the whole works.
I wish Morrissey would have attempted to not be so overly florid with his, but well... You know.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom