Johnny Marr: ‘When the Smiths went to No 1, we were surviving off crisps, chocolate and Coca-Cola’

my grandma hated cucumbers too, which i always felt made her a rather ridiculous person. how can anyone hate a cucumber?

It's a weird phobia, but who knows? Maybe the Smiths split because Morrissey and Marr couldn't agree about cucumbers. It would explain a lot.

I remember Moz mentioned crisps too, and yoghurt, apples and chocolate to survive during the hectic Smiths period. But no Coca Cola! Thea for moz?

why is it that the tastier something is the less healthy it is,,or so they say.

why is it that the tastier something is the less healthy it is,,or so they say.

It isn't.
It is the other way around.
For me it is an issue of acquiring taste.
Of variation and learning by tasting and, it is common knowledge if you do try to eat as variable as possible and learning to appreciate healthy food you will get used to it and after some time despising all that you thought was tasty. Mainly very sugar heavy foods or very salty and fat food.
And, there is a basic knowledge your taste changes. But you only find out by tasting as much as you can.
I noticed in earlier years I didn't like food that was more or less bitter or like lemon. Didn't like yoghurt.
Now I do like it.
But everybody has to find out for themselves of course.
And if you do have a weekly based varied menu it isn't such a big thing to have something considered not so healthy now and than cause you already have had enough of the good stuff inside your body.
It is the repetition of getting too much of the bad stuff in your body that is unhealthy.

my grandma hated cucumbers too, which i always felt made her a rather ridiculous person. how can anyone hate a cucumber?

I don't hate them, but I don't like to eat them and the smell is disgusting.

I highly respect people who run marathons. I know someone who runs marathons all around the globe and he began training after a heart attack. There's a wonderful book of Murakami about running: What I talk about when I talk about running.

Last edited:
I almost accidentally ran over John Maher once when he was running down PCH wearing a Dodger hoody close to Morrissey's house.

What's a "crisp"?

I wonder if there ever was a survey done on what percentage of people who are 'picky eaters' that eventually become vegan or that their transition to a vegan diet was easier.

Also I wonder if Johnny feels the same way about pickles? Then maybe it's all about the shape? Since he always wanted to make music that wasn't 'macho', I can see then he may have some subconscious aversion to the shape of the cucumber, it is quite naturally straight off the vine a 'bulbous salutation'. ;)

Last edited:
I almost accidentally ran over John Maher once when he was running down PCH wearing a Dodger hoody close to Morrissey's house.

What's a "crisp"?

Potato chips. :thumb:
What's " PCH " ?:confused:

Potato chips. :thumb:
What's " PCH " ?:confused:

I believe it stands for Pacific Coast Highway, but I'm living in the bleak Northeast and can't be sure. The PCH is a lovely stretch of road that's been seen in innumerable movies shot on the West Coast of the US. Pity when the great earthquake comes it'll all be fathoms under.

What's a "crisp"?

Okay Aztec, I now know about the Pacific Coast Highway thanks to Kenmare.
But what about the John Maher that you saw close to Morrissey's house?
For all I know it could be the drummer of that other band with that name.
Has he been secretly doing some test-sessions with Moz?
Could it be Moz has now two John Maher's in his band for his secret billion dollar concerts for all these CEO's?
And has the Donald attended yet?
He could start looking for another John Maher on bass. Than he has 3.
I need this info really fast now, put the intern on it!
Thanks! :thumb:

"Cucumber. Zat's icky for you"
(Paul Mc Cartney)

I'm with you on courgettes Johnny, but you being a Johnny and disliking onions? That is a sacrilege. And you've obviously never met the right vegetarian stuffed cabbage (I'm talking about the dish, not the singing vegetable.)

Back
Top Bottom