"Jacky's..." debuts at #1 in UK Vinyl Singles Chart; "Low In High School" #85 in 4th week

Vinyl is the superior format; it’s the only format that is fully analog and fully lossless.

However, analog doesn’t happen with most new vinyls (I’d assume that goes for LIHS, too) as they are produced from a digital master. Which renders it a bit pointless. It’s like sucking cock for cab fare and then taking the bus home.
That sounds awful. Just walk next time.

Boz left the band and then came back? We must've missed that little nugget of news.

I don't know whether he did or he didn't, he always looks really miserable on stage though. On the flip side he always seems happy when he's chatting to folks outside the venues?

Last edited:
I think it's funny that Mozbots care about sales when it's Morrissey but dislike other musical performers and showbiz hacks for being too popular. Bono and Madonna both come from the same time as Morrissey and judging from the sales they must be a lot better!
I quit listening to both of them a long time ago but judging from Morrissey's latest music I don't really think they could be worse. And if they did another Live Aid Bono and Madonna would definitely be the UK and US headliners and Morrissey would play at 8am. They probably wouldn't even televise it. You'd have to buy the dvd box set and it would be on disc 8 with "other things that happened." I don't think they even let Morrissey be in Band-Aid, did they? That's really sad when they call Kajagoogoo before they call you, although they did have way better hair.

Where is frustrated DummyToy with his mocking and hateful comments?

Sorry, Bummy Toy only comes around when he could twist the news to fit his agenda,

can't twist this ! ......

JACKY NUMBER ONE !!!!! :D

MORRISSEY NUMBER ONE !!!!! :rock:

haters gonna cry.

:cool:

I think it's funny that Mozbots care about sales when it's Morrissey but dislike other musical performers and showbiz hacks for being too popular. Bono and Madonna both come from the same time as Morrissey and judging from the sales they must be a lot better!
I quit listening to both of them a long time ago but judging from Morrissey's latest music I don't really think they could be worse. And if they did another Live Aid Bono and Madonna would definitely be the UK and US headliners and Morrissey would play at 8am. They probably wouldn't even televise it. You'd have to buy the dvd box set and it would be on disc 8 with "other things that happened." I don't think they even let Morrissey be in Band-Aid, did they? That's really sad when they call Kajagoogoo before they call you, although they did have way better hair.

I'm as big a critic as anyone when Morrissey spouts the shit he does, but pricks like you really piss me off. You have jumped on here as an anon to spout absolute bullshit. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Band Aid? you absolute f***ing moron, was released in November 1984 at which time Morrissey was in The Smiths. The Smiths only released their first album in February that same year, so why the f*** would they have been invited to play/sing on the Band Aid release?

There is so much factually incorrect about this I have to ask the obvious question......David Bret is that you?

Ahahahahaha funny but I can’t remember everything in super detail, so some fact will be incorrect but the overall story is true.

We get the artists that we deserve.

I happen to love Morrissey and his new album. However, even if you don't, you should be able to acknowledge that it is the work of someone unique that has something to say. (You can say that you don't agree with him, or that he says things clumsily, but if you say that his music is banal pop music with no point of view you are just f***ing lying.)

I played the new album for a musician friend, someone that not familiar with his work beyond How Soon is Now? and they were blown away by the production of Low in High School. As a musician myself, I am in awe of the music alone. Everyone in his band right now plays really smart parts. Gustavo alone is an incredible multi-instrumentalist that seems not only classically trained, but is also someone that really understands sound in general. He is always doing something highly emotional and/or sonically interesting. You can put this album on next to a hip hop record and it holds its own sonically, while still feeling very warm and live. This is not the work of amateurs.

Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, and on and on. When we lose artists like this it is not only sad, because we are losing artists that constantly challenge us, but because are culture is not replacing them. I keep abreast of all the latest records and it is so rare that I find something new that is both musically creative and lyrically unique. I understand why some people don't like Morrissey's new record in the same way I understand many people didn't like Lou Reed's Lulu. Both are the work of artists who are acquired tastes.

Morrissey, like Reed, has never ever compromised his vision. One could argue with things like Lou Reed's Honda Scooter ad, that Morrissey is even more uncompromising than Reed, though I think Reed made work at times that is even more of an acquired taste than Morrissey. (Metal Machine Music, The Raven, and of course Lulu.)

So lets say you are someone that is not into what Morrissey is currently doing. Would you truly rather not have him make anymore records? How many artists in the rock world have the carte blanche to make expensive records with no market concerns? How many of these artists are making something that you can actually sing along to, that make deeply emotional records that also are full of big ideas? As great as someone like Radiohead may be, their records are somewhat cryptic and I find their music more interesting in an intellectual way. Morrissey is a rare artist that is intellectual, but also someone that still cares about making something in the pop sense, with big vocal hooks, with ideas and emotion out front. I think we're lucky to have him and I think even some of his detractors will miss him when gone.

I don't know when performers had to start towing a very specific political line. Remember when the Dixie Chicks were crucified over just having said something negative regarding Bush? How many of us laughed at the rubes who smashed their records, records which were not very subversive to begin with. Now because Morrissey has done something that makes those on the left the slightest bit uncomfortable, we're ready to cast him out? (And I would argue that Morrissey has never really changed. He still is someone that gives a voice to outsiders. He is politically light years from Trump and the alt-right.)

I remember when I read about the song Israel. I have long been against the occupation. Was someone that has meant so much to me taking a political stance that I couldn't stand by. (I don't believe the song, especially in the context of the record, is a blanket endorsement of the Israel government's occupation in the slightest. But that is a topic for another day.) However, I read the Morrissey where he said something along the lines of, people shouldn't be judged by their governments. He said the U.S. and England shouldn't. And truth be told he is right. Just because their government is doing things I don't like, I realized with a clarity I hadn't had before that the people of Israel are probably as varied politically as all other nations. When is the last time you bought a record and it made you think more clearly about something? Even if you don't agree with Morrissey, you have to think in order to to say why he is wrong. That's what art is about!!! It's about making you think and feel strongly, and not always about what you want to be thinking or feeling at a certain time. f***, we're so lucky to have him or any artist that can do that!

Artists aren't running our governments or schools. They have a different standard. They are provocateurs and philosophers at their best. If they make us think, question, and feel they have more than done their job. I'm glad someone like Morrissey is #1 in anything. I wish the pop charts were filled with people like him, instead of songs that sound like they should be played in the back of commercials. You can run him out of town if you like, but we're all so much poorer for it if so. I say thank god he is out there, a strange mutant, running amuck...

We get the artists that we deserve.

I happen to love Morrissey and his new album. However, even if you don't, you should be able to acknowledge that it is the work of someone unique that has something to say. (You can say that you don't agree with him, or that he says things clumsily, but if you say that his music is banal pop music with no point of view you are just f***ing lying.)

I played the new album for a musician friend, someone that not familiar with his work beyond How Soon is Now? and they were blown away by the production of Low in High School. As a musician myself, I am in awe of the music alone. Everyone in his band right now plays really smart parts. Gustavo alone is an incredible multi-instrumentalist that seems not only classically trained, but is also someone that really understands sound in general. He is always doing something highly emotional and/or sonically interesting. You can put this album on next to a hip hop record and it holds its own sonically, while still feeling very warm and live. This is not the work of amateurs.

Lou Reed, Leonard Cohen, David Bowie, and on and on. When we lose artists like this it is not only sad, because we are losing artists that constantly challenge us, but because are culture is not replacing them. I keep abreast of all the latest records and it is so rare that I find something new that is both musically creative and lyrically unique. I understand why some people don't like Morrissey's new record in the same way I understand many people didn't like Lou Reed's Lulu. Both are the work of artists who are acquired tastes.

Morrissey, like Reed, has never ever compromised his vision. One could argue with things like Lou Reed's Honda Scooter ad, that Morrissey is even more uncompromising than Reed, though I think Reed made work at times that is even more of an acquired taste than Morrissey. (Metal Machine Music, The Raven, and of course Lulu.)

So lets say you are someone that is not into what Morrissey is currently doing. Would you truly rather not have him make anymore records? How many artists in the rock world have the carte blanche to make expensive records with no market concerns? How many of these artists are making something that you can actually sing along to, that make deeply emotional records that also are full of big ideas? As great as someone like Radiohead may be, their records are somewhat cryptic and I find their music more interesting in an intellectual way. Morrissey is a rare artist that is intellectual, but also someone that still cares about making something in the pop sense, with big vocal hooks, with ideas and emotion out front. I think we're lucky to have him and I think even some of his detractors will miss him when gone.

I don't know when performers had to start towing a very specific political line. Remember when the Dixie Chicks were crucified over just having said something negative regarding Bush? How many of us laughed at the rubes who smashed their records, records which were not very subversive to begin with. Now because Morrissey has done something that makes those on the left the slightest bit uncomfortable, we're ready to cast him out? (And I would argue that Morrissey has never really changed. He still is someone that gives a voice to outsiders. He is politically light years from Trump and the alt-right.)

I remember when I read about the song Israel. I have long been against the occupation. Was someone that has meant so much to me taking a political stance that I couldn't stand by. (I don't believe the song, especially in the context of the record, is a blanket endorsement of the Israel government's occupation in the slightest. But that is a topic for another day.) However, I read the Morrissey where he said something along the lines of, people shouldn't be judged by their governments. He said the U.S. and England shouldn't. And truth be told he is right. Just because their government is doing things I don't like, I realized with a clarity I hadn't had before that the people of Israel are probably as varied politically as all other nations. When is the last time you bought a record and it made you think more clearly about something? Even if you don't agree with Morrissey, you have to think in order to to say why he is wrong. That's what art is about!!! It's about making you think and feel strongly, and not always about what you want to be thinking or feeling at a certain time. f***, we're so lucky to have him or any artist that can do that!

Artists aren't running our governments or schools. They have a different standard. They are provocateurs and philosophers at their best. If they make us think, question, and feel they have more than done their job. I'm glad someone like Morrissey is #1 in anything. I wish the pop charts were filled with people like him, instead of songs that sound like they should be played in the back of commercials. You can run him out of town if you like, but we're all so much poorer for it if so. I say thank god he is out there, a strange mutant, running amuck...
Most of Morrissey's detractors on this site want him to compromise and to stop saying things they find at odds with their own blinkered beliefs. Basically their constant complaint is he is too much like Morrissey and if only he were less like, um... Morrissey he'd be easier to like.

The more he upsets them for being his own uncompromising self them more I enjoy him and his new album. One of the most common and boring complaints is if he had only played the game a little he could've been as big as Bowie and the rest. This comes from people who have missed the point entirely.

Most musicians/singers have absolutely nothing to say or they do but somehow they're just not artful enough in getting it across. The song Jacky's Only Happy When She's Up On The Stage is straight up autobiographical in the way Morrissey does best. That line "No audience telling her what to do!" is one of his best.

Thanks for the post.

ps: That type of common sense and reason is going to fall on hysterically deaf ears for some here :)

Last edited:
What’s a “morning commute”?

I love vinyl, but it is old technology. Simple as that. I also love Subbuteo. Both have been overtaken by events.

I still fondly remember buying the gatefolds and picture discs and coloured vinyls, but I much prefer carrying thousands of songs around with me in my top pocket.

I understand the audiophile argument about sound quality, but when you are on your morning commute that’s irrelevant.

I'm as big a critic as anyone when Morrissey spouts the shit he does, but pricks like you really piss me off. You have jumped on here as an anon to spout absolute bullshit. You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. Band Aid? you absolute f***ing moron, was released in November 1984 at which time Morrissey was in The Smiths. The Smiths only released their first album in February that same year, so why the f*** would they have been invited to play/sing on the Band Aid release?

What made you so angry about it? I was trying to put myself into the mindset of a person who would believe that selling two thousand vinyl singles was somehow a sign of immense commercial success. I think it worked!
I'm surprised no one listed that he outsold Bowie, Queen, Liam AND Noel, and even Goat Girl!

You won’t be sitting around the Christmas table asking your family and friends to sit still while you paint them. You will take a photograph or perhaps even a video. That is currently the dominant technology for recording such events. You might even stream it to the other side of the world live and for free.

Had photography been invented a couple of centuries earlier we would be looking at the Great Fire of London or the French Revolution in a very different way. Similarly, the mobile phone replaced the landline, which replaced the telegraph, which replaced the pigeon. All those things are rather wonderful in their own way, but one is a lot more convenient.

Which brings us back to vinyl, the old technology.

Let’s get rid of it all.
I want the pigeon back.
And candlelight.
f*** electricity. :brows:

I don't know whether he did or he didn't, he always looks really miserable on stage though. On the flip side he always seems happy when he's chatting to folks outside the venues?

I gues it is part of his stagepersonage to look miserable in comparison to the other members who look so jolly and amusing themselves.

In the meantime Boz doesn’t miss one note and is the reliable rock the whole band thrives on.
The musical director.
A top professional multi instrumentalist.

I think the real question is, why do you come here? This is not a Morrissey cult safe space.

If you are looking to pray the temple is over there ---->

The point is, the album is a complete failure commercially, but so what? Most of Morrissey's career has been a commercial failure, and he's sold himself on the idea that he's a commercial failure. It's only the attempts to make it seem worthy of commercial success that illicit these comments reminding others that they're living in a religious style fantasy land.

Promoting make-believe in the adult world will always come with a heavy dose of mockery. Grow up.

If you like the album, then listen to it, enjoy it and stop groaning about the dissent. Absolutely liking things doesn't usually create interesting discussions.

I don't even dislike the album entirely. Personally, I thought World Peace was better, but Morrissey botched the entire release. It wasn't the record company's fault. He refused to promote it thoroughly. In fact, just like with this album, he seems completely uninterested in promoting it, and seems to expect the record company to make it successful through whatever artificial means they employ. Morrissey knew it wouldn't sell, but he can always say that he has a new release, so come see me live, and then blame its commercial failure on the record company, and public delusion.

This is a man who mentioned in an email to a record company executive that "The Youngest Was The Most Loved" should be considered a gift to any record company. Yes, one of the worst singles of his career was a "gift."

It's a well planned game that he is employing with every release since ROTT, and one that he employed against Rough Trade when they failed to make The Smiths songs as popular as Wham's. He knows the limitations, but he keeps his demands because hey, it's someone else's fault. He takes no responsibility for his own career, and his public profile. He doesn't make any effort to communicate with his fans, and explain his flakiness. If anything, the hurt feelings probably amuse him. He even mocked Pittsburgh in a song because of the resentment towards him for canceling twice.

Ultimate, I simply think that LIHS is mostly uninspired, and makes me feel that Morrissey is bored with the entire process, and is using these releases as a reason to tour, and secure the few remaining earning years he has left. He's apparently only interested in crafting a few potential singles, and the rest is mostly filler.

I believe Morrissey sincerely wants to retire, but can't do so comfortably at this point. He holds out for a record company bid that allows him studio financing, a modest advance, and the rest is about making whatever he can in the only realm that most artists can even hope to make money: Touring, and merchandise.

If it was truly about just making music he likes, then he would have gone the DIY route long ago. He would have developed relationships with musicians who share his vision, but there is no vision. He's become little more than a jingle man hawking his wares.

He no longer has has anything to say, and he's saying it too loudly.
You're so wrong...

It is a great album.

Go listen to Ed Sheeran.

I am happy I love Low.

I have to admit I read this post even after being informed the poster is one of the badassed trolls around on this site....
But the positive side of it is, nobody gives a shit anymore.

Tags
low in high school info

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom