It looks like Moz and Johnny were......

• Thread starter Just visited Johnny's Website
  • Start date
J

Just visited Johnny's Website

heading in totally different music directions.The Smiths would have broken up anyway just because Johnny seems to like electronic music so much.Morrissey doesn't seem to take to that sound.If they reunited I wonder if Johnny would want to use an electronic-type of music or what. What do u think?

The electronic stuff Johnny does would be incredible if he applied the same method of songwriting that he does with guitar.
His keyboard work seems to be some of the most cheesy, commercial crap I've ever heard. It's like he just uses the preset sounds.
Bernard Sumner's extremely limited lyric, and vocal styling doesn't help anything either.
I live for electronic music. Morrissey's music and the Smiths' stuff
is the only guitar based music I like (I LOVE actually), I try real hard to enjoy my Electronic(the band) cd's but I just can't. Cheesy is the only word that comes to mind.

What kind of electronic music do u like? Orbital or something? I used to listen to some electronic music, but I can't listen to it all the time. I have to hear stuff that speaks to me (like Morrissey).

> The electronic stuff Johnny does would be incredible if he
> applied the same method of songwriting that he does with guitar.
> His keyboard work seems to be some of the most cheesy,
> commercial crap I've ever heard. It's like he just uses the
> preset sounds.
> Bernard Sumner's extremely limited lyric, and vocal styling
> doesn't help anything either.
> I live for electronic music. Morrissey's music and the Smiths'
> stuff
> is the only guitar based music I like (I LOVE actually), I try
> real hard to enjoy my Electronic(the band) cd's but I just
> can't. Cheesy is the only word that comes to mind.

Johnny's electronica.

> The electronic stuff Johnny does would be incredible if he
> applied the same method of songwriting that he does with guitar.
> His keyboard work seems to be some of the most cheesy,
> commercial crap I've ever heard. It's like he just uses the
> preset sounds.

I ADORE Johnny Marr, but I've always felt pretty much the same way about the bulk of his Electronic material. I was mystfied when I saw "Electronic" make so many 'album of the year/decade' lists last month. In theory, Electronic should be one of the greatest bands to ever exist, but I found the first two albums greatly disappointing. There was the occasional great track (which usually involved Johnny's guitar playing), but overall most of the songs were simply lacklustre.

> Bernard Sumner's extremely limited lyric, and vocal styling
> doesn't help anything either.
> I live for electronic music. Morrissey's music and the Smiths'
> stuff
> is the only guitar based music I like (I LOVE actually), I try
> real hard to enjoy my Electronic(the band) cd's but I just
> can't. Cheesy is the only word that comes to mind.

You don't like "Twisted Tenderness"? Especially with "Make It Happen" I thought that Johnny finally found a way to write great groove-based rock, which is what I've always thought he was more suited for as opposed to that eighties disco sound he's seemed to prefer. Someone on this board referred to his recent material as "Italian disco" and I thought that funny, but accurate.

But no matter what, I'll always respect Johnny as an artist for wanting to push the boundaries of guitar playing in popular music.

By the way, for all you Johnny-fans, another fantastic guitar track of his can be found on Black Grape's 1996 single "Fat Neck". He was brought in as session guitarist and he did an astonishingly good job--even by his standards. Very innovative; classic Johnny Marr.

love_01.jpg

A suggestion for Becca.

> What kind of electronic music do u like? Orbital or something? I
> used to listen to some electronic music, but I can't listen to
> it all the time. I have to hear stuff that speaks to me (like
> Morrissey).

Hi Becca. Give DJ Shadow's "Endtroducing..." a listen.

war_08.jpg

Re: Johnny's electronica.

I actually haven't heard Twisted Tenderness yet because I haven't had the $33.00 to spend on the import. I heard one track off of it and loved it (but it was very guitar based).
I don't like any of the electro music that's come out in the past 6 years. You name it and I probably hate it.
I get my electro fill from my own music. The only stuff I listen to is Morrissey/smiths stuff, Stereolab, Chris Connelly, etc.
Electro music hardly ever has songs with melody and structure. It's been so boring.
It barely has any actual playing.
Anyone can play a record.
Where are the electronic MUSICIANS?

Some suggestions for Dacid.

> I actually haven't heard Twisted Tenderness yet because I
> haven't had the $33.00 to spend on the import. I heard one track
> off of it and loved it (but it was very guitar based).
> I don't like any of the electro music that's come out in the
> past 6 years. You name it and I probably hate it.
> I get my electro fill from my own music. The only stuff I listen
> to is Morrissey/smiths stuff, Stereolab, Chris Connelly, etc.
> Electro music hardly ever has songs with melody and structure.
> It's been so boring.
> It barely has any actual playing.
> Anyone can play a record.
> Where are the electronic MUSICIANS?

I think "Twisted Tenderness" is definitely a good buy if you can spare the money. Johnny's guitars rage all throughout most of the album, but I'd say that the opening track "Make It Happen" alone is well worth the import price. Also, track 10 (I think it's track 10), "When She's Gone" is the first time in a long time Johnny's written pure guitar pop. You've got to hear the guitar break--it's fantastic; a wonderful tune!

I agree with what you're saying about the proliferation of poor electronic music these days. With so many people having access to computers, there are a lot of crappy albums being made and released. I think there are some albums that you should definitely check out though:
1. The Crystal Method - "Vegas" I've listened to my copy a couple of times and I thought it was great. I don't know if you like the Roses, but this album reminded me of their track "Moses," minus John Squire's guitar domination of course.
2. The Chemical Brothers - "Dig Your Own Hole" I thought this was a good album, honestly. I'm almost embarassed to say this, but FatBoy Slim's album is good too.
3. Breakbeat Era - "Ultra-Obscene" Roni Size's new project. I don't believe anything more needs to be said. This is a @#!!!ing fantastic album. I prefer it to his "Reprazent".
4. DJ Shadow - "Endtroducing..." I just love this album from beginning to end.
5. Cornelius - "Fantasma" It's a really interesting and fun album.
6. Tricky - any of them, but "Juxtapose," his latest, is very different. I personally like "Pre-Millenium Tension."
I know these aren't pure electronia albums, but I don't like pure electronica albums. I'm sure afficionados are laughing at me, but these are really good albums. No others immediately come to mind. If you're looking for a really interesting DJ, try looking into DJ Shadow--"Necropolis" and "Songs of a Dead Dreamer." It's wild stuff. It's like 30% trance, 25% jungle, and 45% unknown. Very interesting. Most of the two albums are devoid of any beats.

And if you're really fed up, you can always take some drugs and listen to the Cocteau Twins' "BBC Sessions" all day. You'll start hearing some very interesting lyrics, I promise.

war_20.jpg

Re: A suggestion for Becca.

a little nonsense, nonsense, nonsense

Re: Some suggestions for Dacid.

The Chemical Bros. are my fav of all the big electro acts.
I don't like the guest vocalist stuff though.
The DJ Shadow I've heard is pretty good. Propellerheads are good because the production is so good - same with Daft Punk (what happened to them?).
Crystal Method is pathetic. Each song rips-off a different contemporary. So much so it's quite comical.
Fat Head Slim is really bad...and he's a really old man.
I can't get into Tricky. The worst is Moby.
The best electronic band ever is PiltDown

I've listen to the Cocteau Twins many times on acid. The Pink Opaque
is my fav.

I'm buying Twisted Tenderness tomorrow.

Fun talkin' to ya....

Re: Some suggestions for Dacid.

> The Chemical Bros. are my fav of all the big electro acts.
> I don't like the guest vocalist stuff though.

My fave track off of "Dig Your Own Hole" is "Where Do I Begin" with Beth Orton on guest vocals. I love Beth Orton, but I like that track more for the music--I really like those fantastic backward tracks.

> The DJ Shadow I've heard is pretty good.

"Endtroducing..." is a journey from beginning to end. That's why I like it so much. He's credited with creating trip-hop with this album. It's truly magnificent in the way he speaks to you with his samples. This album for some reason really makes me think of it as a modern musical translation of Gertrude Stein's writing; it's disjointed, but somehow, when taken as a whole, it all comes together neatly.

> Propellerheads are good
> because the production is so good - same with Daft Punk (what
> happened to them?).

Probably in their bedroom working on the follow up to their last album. I LOVE "Da Funk"!!! That wah-wah guitar is great! Their music really reminds me of early eighties rap artists. Didn't they sample heavily from Grandmaster Flash?

> Crystal Method is pathetic. Each song rips-off a different
> contemporary. So much so it's quite comical.

:-(
I still like that album though...

> Fat Head Slim is really bad...and he's a really old man.

Oh, don't be mean.

> I can't get into Tricky. The worst is Moby.

I like one song off of Moby's newest album, but true, most it is not good. Moby did a GREAT remix of Blur's "Beetlebum" though--probably one of the better remixes I've ever heard; very poignant. It can be found on that double CD Japanese release, "Bustin' + Dronin'." Tricky is amazing! Just ask Morrissey.

> The best electronic band ever is PiltDown

The only Piltdown I know of is the anthropological Piltdown hoax.

> I've listen to the Cocteau Twins many times on acid. The Pink
> Opaque
> is my fav.

I think classic Cocteau Twins is "Treasure," although I think "Heaven or Las Vegas" is a really pretty album; very feminine. The last time I listened to "Heaven or Las Vegas" high, I was in the dark and I thought I was floating away.

> I'm buying Twisted Tenderness tomorrow.

You won't be sorry. But if you are, keep it to yourself. :)

> Fun talkin' to ya....

Fun hearin' from ya.

016.jpg

hey Cili

Sorry Cili, posey is me, dacid. I didn't mean to sign the wrong name.
Thanks again for your response.
I hate having to be so opinionated. I wish i could enjoy a lot of the new stuff out there. Oh well, it just gives me the drive to make my own music something I (and hopefully others) can really enjoy.
My biggest problem with Moby is the drugfree christian aspect of it.
It's too unforgiving.
Take it easy,
dacid (posey)

Oops. Dacid, if you're reading this...

> If you're looking for a really interesting DJ, try
> looking into DJ Shadow--"Necropolis" and "Songs
> of a Dead Dreamer." It's wild stuff. It's like 30% trance,
> 25% jungle, and 45% unknown. Very interesting. Most of the two
> albums are devoid of any beats.

I'm sorry, but I made a mistake. Above, I said "DJ Shadow" when I actually meant "DJ Spooky." If you're looking for a really interesting DJ, look into Dj Spooky. Thanks Charles (he pointed out my mistake). :)

I'm not sure, but I think I actually met DJ Spooky when I was in New York a year or so ago (he could have easily been someone pretending to be him) and he was VERY, VERY intelligent; one of the most articulate men I've ever met. Whatever madness he's put on his records, it's all intentional and strangely philosophical. One suggestion though. Be under the influence of SOMEthing while you're listening to his music. It breathes better that way. If you take my advice, you'll understand.

ah_213.jpg

Re: Oops. Dacid, if you're reading this...

The funny thing is, when I said I liked what I heard of DJ Shadow,
I meant DJ Spooky as well.
I always get that mixed up.

Back
Top Bottom