Is it racist?

if I didn't know this was Sylvia plath I would think it was a black woman

:thumb:

Sylvia wears black on the outside ...

If I call Comcast and the person who answers the phone is a black woman am I racist for knowing she is black?
No. But when you have to repeat yourself 12 times because she can neither hear properly spoken English nor type it and she keeps asking you to repeat yourself, you might get pissed and have to re-assess.

FAKE CHAM HOW CAN YOU CONTINUE TO SUPPORT BERNIE AFTER HE
REFUSES TO DENOUNCE "Sleepy Many Fingers Joe Biden" for his SEXUAL
HARASSMENT????:eek:
Have you put your brain to sleep FAKE CHAM?? you are in danger of losing your
WOKE SJW status from you FB 'friends bots':swear

1589488008015.png

is this racist? I feel like it is, in a "low key" way. And it's also from a person who hints at the virus being fake and people being asked to wear masks as a scare tactic. It's funny how refusing to wear a mask has become a right wing thing, at least in the media.

View attachment 56464

is this racist? I feel like it is, in a "low key" way. And it's also from a person who hints at the virus being fake and people being asked to wear masks as a scare tactic. It's funny how refusing to wear a mask has become a right wing thing, at least in the media.
I don't think this is racist dave. It IS funny and the funniest best memes are often the ones that have a hint of truth in them. Hand sanitizer probably is made largely in factories in Asia. Anyone making hand sanitizer right now is probably making a ton of money. And what do people do when they make a ton of money? Some of them buy jewellery, so all this meme is doing is expounding on that notion. It made me chuckle.

On a side note is Sasha Baron Cohen doing Ali G cultural appropriation and/or racist? I kinda feel in 2020 he wouldn't get away with it, which would be a real shame.

I don't think this is racist dave. It IS funny and the funniest best memes are often the ones that have a hint of truth in them. Hand sanitizer probably is made largely in factories in Asia. Anyone making hand sanitizer right now is probably making a ton of money. And what do people do when they make a ton of money? Some of them buy jewellery, so all this meme is doing is expounding on that notion. It made me chuckle.

On a side note is Sasha Baron Cohen doing Ali G cultural appropriation and/or racist? I kinda feel in 2020 he wouldn't get away with it, which would be a real shame.
I think that the person's intent and whether or not it's funny are both important to determine if it's racist and both of those are in question. The reason it feels racist to me is the context. This person posts similar content all the time but it's almost always someone who is black who is the butt of the joke.
I feel like the joke in this one is that the Asian guy has money but bad taste, and it's probably been used for years before someone thought to attach the "hand sanitizer" caption.
It's hard to say if these things are racist. If someone's Facebook feed is full of this stuff they're probably not going out and throwing bombs into the homes of immigrants or anything but they might be expressing their own racism. But it would be insane to say it is or is not. It's too subjective.

I think that the person's intent and whether or not it's funny are both important to determine if it's racist and both of those are in question. The reason it feels racist to me is the context. This person posts similar content all the time but it's almost always someone who is black who is the butt of the joke.
I feel like the joke in this one is that the Asian guy has money but bad taste, and it's probably been used for years before someone thought to attach the "hand sanitizer" caption.
It's hard to say if these things are racist. If someone's Facebook feed is full of this stuff they're probably not going out and throwing bombs into the homes of immigrants or anything but they might be expressing their own racism. But it would be insane to say it is or is not. It's too subjective.
See I think this would be funny even if it is a young white guy looking ridiculous in gold. For a long time the richest man in NZ was a guy who made toilet paper. To be fair he actually owned the mills that turned the trees into toilet paper, but he had a monopoly for a fair while and everyone needs toilet paper right....................? As you can imagine there used to be a fair few jokes not dissimilar to this about how making toilet paper had led him to incredible wealth.

Once years ago when working in hotels in London this super rich American guy used to come to London every year over the summer with his wife, blowing wads of cash everywhere. A really nice dude actually, you know what he made his money off? Sellotape, (Scotch tape) LOL.

Who would've though the guy wearing the Armani suit, Rolex watch and getting in the chauffeur-driven mercedes was a Scotch tape magnate? Haha, so yeah the above photo made me laugh and not in a racist way. And possibly I view it without the connotations of seeing where it was first posted. maybe the guy on FB posted it with racist intentions, but I really didn't see it that way myself. I kinda like the idea of a dude walking around a small village in Pakistan looking like that, that would be awesome!

See I think this would be funny even if it is a young white guy looking ridiculous in gold. For a long time the richest man in NZ was a guy who made toilet paper. To be fair he actually owned the mills that turned the trees into toilet paper, but he had a monopoly for a fair while and everyone needs toilet paper right....................? As you can imagine there used to be a fair few jokes not dissimilar to this about how making toilet paper had led him to incredible wealth.

Once years ago when working in hotels in London this super rich American guy used to come to London every year over the summer with his wife, blowing wads of cash everywhere. A really nice dude actually, you know what he made his money off? Sellotape, (Scotch tape) LOL.

Who would've though the guy wearing the Armani suit, Rolex watch and getting in the chauffeur-driven mercedes was a Scotch tape magnate? Haha, so yeah the above photo made me laugh and not in a racist way. And possibly I view it without the connotations of seeing where it was first posted. maybe the guy on FB posted it with racist intentions, but I really didn't see it that way myself. I kinda like the idea of a dude walking around a small village in Pakistan looking like that, that would be awesome!
It's a woman you sexist.

The toilet paper guy, obviously that isn't the most prestigious product and I'd imagine that he is an environmental criminal who has probably dumped tons of harsh chemicals into the ocean, so that's not really cool. But the guy who got rich on cellophane tape sounds like a hero to entrepreneurs everywhere. There is probably a lot of toxic waste involved in this too, but leaving that aside and just focusing on the product, he either inherited it or invented something. But someone had to invent a product or a process that was better than other products on the market, and then manage to not have their idea stolen. They had to coordinate the efforts of a large number of people in all sorts of fields, to manufacture, distribute, market, sell not mention paying hundreds or maybe thousands of employees, keeping their taxes straight, and dealing with all kinds of competition who might try to undercut prices or make a shitty version of his product and sell for less.
Really that is what business is all about and it really doesn't matter the product. It does to an extent but does it really? Someone who sells cameras or sports cars has more prestige for the product they sell but cellophane tape is probably a more competitive market because anyone can try it. And everyone used to use it.
I would imagine based totally on zero knowledge and nothing but personal bias, that the guy who got rich off of toilet paper was probably already rich and simply had access to the land to harvest the raw materials, capital to build the mills and factories, and probably connections to have his monopoly at least until some much larger company was able to market their product in New Zealand. I think there is less technology involved in making toilet paper and it was probably just a case of being able to do it in such volume that it was hard to compete.

Tags
discussion humor? racism
Back
Top Bottom