Interview with Spencer Cobrin

Thanks for posting. It was an interesting read. I wonder what he meant with the following (the words in bold):

Did you have issues or feel uncomfortable with any of the infamous lyrics that mentioned young Asian shopkeepers "shelving their plans" or National Front Disco?
“The initial reaction I had was that of mild concern. I remember being around the stench of racism in the eighties, it was ugly and not a nice feeling. I tentatively approached Morrissey about the song but I can't remember exactly what was discussed as it was quite some time ago but it was enough to arrest any fears I had at the time. Later on of course was another matter, it took me a long time to forgive him.”

What is he referring to? The "jew boy" fax?

Nice find. Always liked the guy and he comes off well in that interview. Shame he and Morrissey fell out when they did, just as they were writing some good stuff together. Morrissey sometimes has such a self-destructive tendency, though.

All the best to Spencer.

The Tchaikovsky influence is interesting; makes you wonder if there were any missed opportunities with the tracks Spence wrote that Moz chose not to utilize.

Thanks for posting. It was an interesting read. I wonder what he meant with the following (the words in bold):

Did you have issues or feel uncomfortable with any of the infamous lyrics that mentioned young Asian shopkeepers "shelving their plans" or National Front Disco?
“The initial reaction I had was that of mild concern. I remember being around the stench of racism in the eighties, it was ugly and not a nice feeling. I tentatively approached Morrissey about the song but I can't remember exactly what was discussed as it was quite some time ago but it was enough to arrest any fears I had at the time. Later on of course was another matter, it took me a long time to forgive him.”

What is he referring to? The "jew boy" fax?

In the context of the piece I believe that is what he is implying.

'Are you still in touch with Boz and the other boys in the band? Do you know what they're up to now?
“I have not been in touch with them since Morrissey and I fell out 12 years ago. I believe that his words to them were that they were not to contact me whatsoever.” '

This makes me sad. From Spencer's Mozipedia entry I got the feeling that Spencer wasn't angry about the falling out so much as hurt and disappointed. Such a shame all the way around.

I second that self-destructive tendency comment.
*sigh*

I loved this interview.
I guess he was honest and humble on his answers.

Last edited:
I believe that his words to them were that they were not to contact me whatsoever.

:squiffy: If Morrissey told me that about someone I'd tell him to shove it. :p

:squiffy: If Morrissey told me that about someone I'd tell him to shove it. :p

So would I, but I think if Boz and the lads really wanted to keep in touch with Spencer they would have done it anyway. Morrissey couldn't watch their every move, especially during the later "wilderness" years, so I doubt he was policing their friendships with the paranoia that Spencer suggests.

So would I, but I think if Boz and the lads really wanted to keep in touch with Spencer they would have done it anyway. Morrissey couldn't watch their every move, especially during the later "wilderness" years, so I doubt he was policing their friendships with the paranoia that Spencer suggests.

I don't know ... 'cos he wrote so very kindly about Spencer on Southpaw Grammar remaster booklet.

Back
Top Bottom