• Atheist/Agnostic

Votes: 11 15.9%
  • None

Votes: 10 14.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

PregnantForTheLastTime

Hideous trait.
Sparked by the current thread in the pigsty, I'm curious what our collective backgrounds are like. I know a lot of us are Catholic, and I wonder if Morrissey appeals especially to those of us who share his background? Private poll. I've made it multiple choice in case your parents were of different faiths.

Last edited:
Church-going family, but if I'm honest, I am now and always have been an atheist. After years of Sunday School, I saw the light at the age of 13. Hallelujah! Oh, wait...

Peter

Protestant/Baptist/Fundamentalist ....whatever you wanna call it. practiced up until about age 20. then I snapped. I'm not an atheist now, but I don't practice any religion or call myself anything. If I had to check a box now, it would be "other." haha.

I always felt the shame of a liar when praying. I tried to believe, I truly did.

Awww, poor thing. I know what you mean about the confession thing too. My best friend was terrified of it. She never thought there was a need to tell another human what you had done wrong and ask for forgivness. She prefered to just pray about it to the big man. And we were quite young when she figured out that something was off about this whole confession thing.

We're both agnostic now haha.

My mom comes from one of those Irish Catholic families, you know the kind ;)

My dad was raised Catholic but is agnostic now and has been since I can remember. But he went to Catholic school as did my mother, and in turn, so did I.

Am I using too many commas? :confused:

Protestant! Church of Scotland.

I am now a lapsed agnostic....:p

I was christened into the Church of England, but my parents were never really practising Christians (my Dad was never christened, and it was my mother's idea to have my sister and I christened in the first place). A few years back I became agnostic, but for a good year or so now I've been atheist.

...I wonder if Morrissey appeals especially to those of us who share his background?

The religion I was raised in and the faith I have now have absolutely nothing to do with my like of Morrissey, and the religion I was raised in and the faith I have now are not the same.

I've never believed in God, I was never Christened however I did go to a Christian primary school but only because it's near-by and my mum didn't have a car.

Raised Catholic.
But questioned everything.

I have problems with the church as an organization and I disagree with many things they teach -- especially intolerance of any sort. Too much power, too much money. Yet I've met many kind selfless souls who quietly do a world of good for no publicity and no glory. I prefer kindness over Dogma anyday. I think as long as your motives are peace and love, you're all right, regardless of what religion you practice.

I also love the romantic notion of saints, the beautiful artwork, gothic cathedrals and the smell of candles. And monks. I have a thing for Capuchin monks.

I think there's something more to life than what we see. There has to be.

as stated b4, raised catholic for a long time, then become a junior mason
then an atheist, then a new ager, now i just dabble in whatever i want :guitar:

to quote our Morrissey:
"...There is another world
There is a better world
Well, there must be...
...Bye bye
Bye bye
Bye .."

My parents aren't religious at all. I haven't been to any place of worship in my life.

I'm still unsure about religion but I'm most interested in Shinto and Buddhism.

Seeker, as someone who is active in a faith, do you find the themes of religion and guilt in Morrissey's music to be interesting and compelling to you? I do. Faith is something I think everyone struggles with, no matter what their basic beliefs are. I don't think my beliefs are incorrect, but I admit I may be wrong.

I also love the romantic notion of saints, the beautiful artwork, gothic cathedrals and the smell of candles. And monks. I have a thing for Capuchin monks.

I agree with all of this. The artistic images based on Catholic figures and stories is something I have always loved. And yes there has to be something else...let's see what 2012 brings ;):guitar:

My parents aren't religious at all. I haven't been to any place of worship in my life.

I'm still unsure about religion but I'm most interested in Shinto and Buddhism.

Enso2.png

Zen Buddhism is where its at for me next maybe, ive always wanted to study @ one their monasteries in Japan like one of my fave writers did
Janwillem van de Wetering
art_xlarge_5032.jpg

he died last year :tears:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Janwillem_van_de_Wetering

Last edited:
Seeker, as someone who is active in a faith, do you find the themes of religion and guilt in Morrissey's music to be interesting and compelling to you? I do. Faith is something I think everyone struggles with, no matter what their basic beliefs are. I don't think my beliefs are incorrect, but I admit I may be wrong.

as someone who used to be very active, "I Have Forgiven Jesus" definitely has special meaning for me. especially b/c when I first "snapped" I was angry, I guess you could say, at what I felt was some kind of "brainwashing." I was angry that I was taught that people who werent Baptists were going to hell, or homosexuals were horrible sinners, or even that rock music was the devil's music, and other such nonsense. but in the years since I've kinda just come to terms with things, and I'm not angry at God or Jesus or whatever there might be. and thats what I always felt thats what Morrissey was getting at in that song.

I voted 'none' because my grandfather, and then my dad, always said "I don't like calling myself athiest because there's nothing not to believe in." So yeah, very, very athiest, I guess.

I voted 'none' because my grandfather, and then my dad, always said "I don't like calling myself athiest because there's nothing not to believe in." So yeah, very, very athiest, I guess.

good luck with that believing in nothing, it did not work for me :o
but it works for some i guess :confused: though atheists are far more likely to kill themselves :eek:
statistically speaking :cool:

Back
Top Bottom