If you were Johnny Marr, what would you say to Morrissey?

"Happy birthday Mozzer! Let's have a pint when the pubs (eventually) open and catch up..."

Johnny mentioned that he had some Cribs tour dates to complete at that time (before any reunion)... I'm guessing that was the real issue, you know what Morrissey is like. "Oh I'm second fiddle to your sessioning again, right..."

I think you're right. There is an interview with Johnny when he was in the Cribs and he is questioned about a Smiths reunion. He kind of flares up a bit and says he's a member of the Cribs and he has loyalty to them, he's not going to just abandon them. This interview was years before anyone knew he had discussed a reunion with Morrissey. I suspect this is the truth of the matter.

I think you're right. There is an interview with Johnny when he was in the Cribs and he is questioned about a Smiths reunion. He kind of flares up a bit and says he's a member of the Cribs and he has loyalty to them, he's not going to just abandon them.

Yeah, a statement like that would have credibility if he didn't say that stuff about every band he works with, then immediately move on to something else. Still a bit sour of Moz though... JM had to honour tour commitments of course, but it's madness to think he wouldn't have dropped the Cribs like a hot potato at a real prospect of a reunion. It makes me wonder if some of the songs on The Messenger were written with a reunion in mind.

Story here from 2.20. Revisting it, it doesn't sound like she was sacked, but he did threaten the record company (allegedly). Very entertaining series of interviews.

S'funny, Baby Morrissey acts like a big-time-charlie back in the day, and he's a complete arse. Baby Bowie does the same, and yer art-school types & clubbable hacks peg it as "self-actualisation" and proceed to happily creem their slacks.

There was only ever space for one genuine rock star art genius in Manchester, and that star was Anthony Aitch.

As entertaining as he was, í wouldn't trust a word that came out of his mouth. Especially when it came to Morriss...oh sorry..."Steven" :rolleyes:

A true Manchester bitch, amongst a Factory churning them out. Bitchier even than "Steven".

í only wish that Moz could be as nice and friendly as cuddly old Rob Gretton (JD/NO manager) who once said "f***ing trouble with you Morrissey is that you don’t have the guts to kill yourself, like Ian! You're f***ing jealous". Nice for his widow to know that Ian had guts...

Yeah, a statement like that would have credibility if he didn't say that stuff about every band he works with, then immediately move on to something else. Still a bit sour of Moz though... JM had to honour tour commitments of course, but it's madness to think he wouldn't have dropped the Cribs like a hot potato at a real prospect of a reunion. It makes me wonder if some of the songs on The Messenger were written with a reunion in mind.

Yes, I do believe the Messenger would have been the Morrissey-Marr comeback album. I really think Moz missed the boat on this - that album is gorgeous.

The Messenger sounds like a frog pond incident FFS?

:handpointright::guardsman::handpointleft: wont take NO for an answer. Very annoying this LePew.
Moz has top selling albums and tours and is flush with green. No more
handouts to lawnmowers, DramaLePew, get a job. Fake C can hook
him up with something at KMart.?

I think you're right. There is an interview with Johnny when he was in the Cribs and he is questioned about a Smiths reunion. He kind of flares up a bit and says he's a member of the Cribs and he has loyalty to them, he's not going to just abandon them. This interview was years before anyone knew he had discussed a reunion with Morrissey. I suspect this is the truth of the matter.

:drama:

translation=MOZ said no.:tiphat:

Morrissey also had YOR recorded and ready to be released around that time. And he also had his loyalty commitments to go on tour with his current band. So I always interpreted it as the time not being ripe for a reunion at that particular moment, and unfortunately they never met again (as far as we know) after that one night in the pub.

It'll have to be with Johnny's band. When Moz doesn't show up, Johnny will carry the show with a lot of special guests standing in the wings just in case: Noel Gallagher, Neil Finn, Eddie Vedder, Chrissie Hynde, etc.

Is Chrissie Hynde still in touch with Johnny Marr? She seems to be much closer to Morrissey these days.

Is Chrissie Hynde still in touch with Johnny Marr? She seems to be much closer to Morrissey these days.

She is, according to her Twitter. They played a show together. Or something like that.

"Let's get in the studio and bang out some tracks, my nigga"

Cringey twat, stfu, this whole thread is cringe, try coming outside yourself for a sec, observe your own behaviour, see how you spend your days, in this shit corner of the internet, fantasising about what you would like Johnny Marr to say to Morrissey

Cringey twat, stfu, this whole thread is cringe, try coming outside yourself for a sec, observe your own behaviour, see how you spend your days, in this shit corner of the internet, fantasising about what you would like Johnny Marr to say to Morrissey

;)
partaking of the firewater?i take it??‍♂️

S'funny, Baby Morrissey acts like a big-time-charlie back in the day, and he's a complete arse. Baby Bowie does the same, and yer art-school types & clubbable hacks peg it as "self-actualisation" and proceed to happily creem their slacks.

There was only ever space for one genuine rock star art genius in Manchester, and that star was Anthony Aitch.

As entertaining as he was, í wouldn't trust a word that came out of his mouth. Especially when it came to Morriss...oh sorry..."Steven" :rolleyes:

A true Manchester bitch, amongst a Factory churning them out. Bitchier even than "Steven".

í only wish that Moz could be as nice and friendly as cuddly old Rob Gretton (JD/NO manager) who once said "f***ing trouble with you Morrissey is that you don’t have the guts to kill yourself, like Ian! You're f***ing jealous". Nice for his widow to know that Ian had guts...

£800 for playing guitar on Viva Hate. Jesus.

£800 for playing guitar on Viva Hate. Jesus.

From Tony Wilson's interview, that was Vini Reilly's pay for the Viva Hate album. Even worse was Morrissey refusing to increase Vini's pay to £1500 for the next album.

Yes, a typo, thanks for the correction. I accept that people who take Morrissey's side in this are never going to agree with people who don't, but I think Joyce and Rourke were entitled to expect 25% of the playing/recording royalties, and to engineer it specifically so they were denied this smacks of massive arsery. In my opinion. And also the judge's.

Each to their own, but I don't think it's quite that simple. By many accounts Andy and Mike were the rhythm section only and even discounting songwriting, were nothing like equal members in the group. Morrissey and Johnny managed many aspects of the group, planned the tours, conducted promotional interviews etc. and while they were holding meetings with the record label, Andy and Mike were in another room watching TV.

I think it's clear from all of the evidence that they agreed to less than 25%, but Morrissey and Johnny couldn't prove that 10% was agreed on. As the burden of proof was on them, they lost the case.

I understand why Mike went to court, but I can equally understand why Morrissey and Johnny have never spoken to him since.

Each to their own, but I don't think it's quite that simple. By many accounts Andy and Mike were the rhythm section only and even discounting songwriting, were nothing like equal members in the group. Morrissey and Johnny managed many aspects of the group, planned the tours, conducted promotional interviews etc. and while they were holding meetings with the record label, Andy and Mike were in another room watching TV.

I think it's clear from all of the evidence that they agreed to less than 25%, but Morrissey and Johnny couldn't prove that 10% was agreed on. As the burden of proof was on them, they lost the case.

I understand why Mike went to court, but I can equally understand why Morrissey and Johnny have never spoken to him since.

It must be weird for them at the moment as it looks like 3 of them are living really near to each other due to Corona. I think I would be tempted to reach out to the others.

Back
Top Bottom