I'd just like to say that (assuming this gig is for real and lest anyone think me bitter)...

C

Chill

I wouldn't go if I could. Yeah, it sounds awesome, but I think an intimate birthday show in his hometown is likely Morrissey's way of thanking the fans who were there from the very beginning.

There are other fans who deserve to attend far more than I do.

That's rubbish!

He wouldn't play Europe's biggest indoor venue to thank the fans who were there in the beginning.
You mean the 50 that were at the first gig??
This gig (if it goes ahead) is for all of us. not for the elite.

Re: That's rubbish!

> He wouldn't play Europe's biggest indoor venue to thank the fans who were
> there in the beginning.
> You mean the 50 that were at the first gig??
> This gig (if it goes ahead) is for all of us. not for the elite.

Well admittedly I know very little about the venue. I surmised from other posts that it wasn't a huge deal since someone mentioned that the person playing the night before was not a huge star. Oops.

I don't mean the 50 who were at the first gig. I mean the older generation of fans who've stuck with him through thick and thin (whether they were there from The Smiths' beginnings or from Morrissey's rebirth as a solo artist). Nothing elitist about that. Why would I be elitist about it anyway? I've been a fan for two years. I know every song. I own every record. But there are people far more devoted than I could ever be by virtue of the length of their commitment and I'd sooner they had a crack at going than me.

Besides, I'd rather save my money and see him in both the States and in France during the inevitable tour later this year.

Geez, its not like the M.E.N. arena is a 250 person club. The place hold over 12,000! In fact, if the gig is real, I doubt it would sell out anyways. When is the last time Moz has played a venue this size on his own, without being part of a fesitval or a co-headlining tour? 1992? The only possible exception is some of the california shows in recent years, but I don't think those even sold out.

Morrissey's usual venues have been in the 2000-8000 seat range for years. Sometimes even smaller. Even in the UK.

May 22- Oh well I won't be making it.

Dev's and the Wings will be in the middle of the Stanley Cup finals.

I was going to reply that you have your hockey finals and I have my school finals...

But then I realized I was confused and we're getting out about three weeks earlier than we did last year. Oh well, still can't go, even if I felt like it was something I should do.

> Geez, its not like the M.E.N. arena is a 250 person club. The place hold
> over 12,000! In fact, if the gig is real, I doubt it would sell out
> anyways. When is the last time Moz has played a venue this size on his
> own, without being part of a fesitval or a co-headlining tour? 1992? The
> only possible exception is some of the california shows in recent years,
> but I don't think those even sold out.

> Morrissey's usual venues have been in the 2000-8000 seat range for years.
> Sometimes even smaller. Even in the UK.

In my reply to Whalley Range, I explained why I had assumed it was a smaller venue. Obviously I was mistaken.

I also doubt the gig would sell out, even if Americans and everybody else flies in. To my knowledge, Arrowhead Pond didn't even sell out when he played with Jaguares.

> I wouldn't go if I could. Yeah, it sounds awesome, but I think an intimate
> birthday show in his hometown is likely Morrissey's way of thanking the
> fans who were there from the very beginning.

> There are other fans who deserve to attend far more than I do.

I'm not going because it would take too much time, money, and effort.
I'll buy the DVD. = )

> I'm not going because it would take too much time, money, and effort.
> I'll buy the DVD. = )

LOL, that too. And the fact that it may not be real.

Do you want those mp3s by the way?

Re: I was going to reply that you have your hockey finals and I have my school finals...

> But then I realized I was confused and we're getting out about three weeks
> earlier than we did last year. Oh well, still can't go, even if I felt
> like it was something I should do.
LOL, What are we up to 3 for 3 tonight, no wait it's up to 4 for 4!

from a Ghoul to an Oaf

From A Ghoul To An Oaf:

I am going.

To each his/her own, but I can't help feeling that the responses on this thread of the naysayers, who can afford to go, are weak. And I don't see how one can reconcile saying that you won't go to allow the older fans to go in a gesture of kindness, and then turn around and say that you don't think the venue will sell out. Because, if it does not sell out, and you don't go, you are not taking away a seat from anyone. You are only adding your charming presence.

I'm not going to troll you L.O., so I might as well just tell you, not everything that goes on here is a joke that requires a smiley face from you. The DVD? You seem to laugh at everything...but for some of us this is a very serious matter. When I read a comment like that, I can't help but think of the fact that you are like 25 and don't give a f***, or that as your name suggests you got into Moz during Vauxhall...which is neither here nor there, except to say that many people came on board during Vauxhall and then fled. I don't exactly know where I am going with this...but I feel like f***ing shit man, this is his first gig in Manchester in over a decade, he is their native son, this is truly a once in a lifetime event, and why wouldn't more people make a stronger effort to make the journey.

The ENNUI kills me.

"Some people do not understand the urgency of life."

I have suffered hardships in life of all sorts. I made the pilgrimage to Mecca (The Hadj) but in the off season they call it "Umra" in Saudi Arabia. A 6 hour flight from the East Coast or a 10 hour flight from LA is nothing....not when it takes over a day to get to India from the USA. Youth Hostels are fine places to stay, especially for just a few days. To me, for me, this to would be akin to a religious experience. I question the devotion of those that would so easily dismiss such a massive affair. I would not even be surprised if J.Marr came out and played a couple songs with Moz...really...I feel that anything is possible in this return to Manchester. I believe the concert will sell out, and quite rapidly, because people from England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland will descend on Manchester. I don't understand the lack of love. Having all the albums is great, but it does not mean you have this kind of unconditional devotion in your heart. And I'm not pointing the finger solely at you...I just don't want to respond to the others, because some of them and I don't get along.

The whole thread makes me very sad...and strikes me as somewhat pointless, really. I hope you can take this right way, and see that I'm not trying to pick a fight or get into some massive thread war. I just want everyone from this site to be there. And if I could afford to pay everyone's way and put you all in a 5 star hotel, I would do so in a heartbeat.

That's all.

> I wouldn't go if I could. Yeah, it sounds awesome, but I think an intimate
> birthday show in his hometown is likely Morrissey's way of thanking the
> fans who were there from the very beginning.

> There are other fans who deserve to attend far more than I do.

I can understand where you are coming from but if this show is for real then I'm going to go. I'm in Australia and have been a fan for about the same length of time you have but I'm really worried that he won't tour down here, I missed out the last time he was in Sydney. Plus I'm going to England around May/June anyway.

> I can understand where you are coming from but if this show is for real
> then I'm going to go. I'm in Australia and have been a fan for about the
> same length of time you have but I'm really worried that he won't tour
> down here, I missed out the last time he was in Sydney. Plus I'm going to
> England around May/June anyway.

I was speaking only for myself, cyanide. If it's real, I hope you have a wonderful time.

> I was speaking only for myself, cyanide. If it's real, I hope you have a
> wonderful time.

Yeah I know, thanks. I am somewhat skeptical (especially after reading Girl Drowning's posts), but I can't understand why no one in the Morrissey camp or Sanctuary has come forward to say it's a hoax yet.

> Yeah I know, thanks. I am somewhat skeptical (especially after reading
> Girl Drowning's posts), but I can't understand why no one in the Morrissey
> camp or Sanctuary has come forward to say it's a hoax yet.

Well the site only just surfaced on Friday, didn't it? Or that's when it came to our attention. So I'm not surprised Sanctuary hasn't yet denied responsibility, if indeed it's fake.

Re: from a Ghoul to an Oaf

> From A Ghoul To An Oaf:

> I am going.

Wait? *You're* going for sure? This changes everything. Where do I book a flight?

> To each his/her own, but I can't help feeling that the responses on this
> thread of the naysayers, who can afford to go, are weak.

I guess I'm just not as adventurous. I love Morrissey, but apparently not enough to fly across the ocean for one concert. When he tours the states, I'm usually within an easy drive of several of the dates, so why wouldn't I just wait till then? Also, I need a new stereo, so if I had an extra grand to blow, that's where it would go, so I could hear "You Are The Quarry" in all its glory.

I did, however, seriously consider flying to Alaska when there were rumors he'd perform there last tour. Because I've long wanted to visit Alaska anyway. Unlike Manchester, which I've heard described as the Cleveland of England. I already live in the Cleveland of America, and while Cleveland has its plusses as a hometown, I wouldn't exactly recommend people vacation here.

Anyway, I'd have a hard time of it even if I wanted to go. The date is on a weekend, but I'm expected to at least make a cameo appearance at my workplace on Saturdays and to have progress made on work assignments over the weekends. My boss is an old school puritan work ethic type dude who gives me speeches about how he grew up dirt poor and worked his fingers to the bone to get anywhere. I'm currently new at the office and am thus his bitch boy and if I'm not the last to leave the office each day (outside of my boss, who works 7 days a week and comes back to the office after dinner each evening) he starts wondering about my dedication (so instead I stay in the office and post to Morrissey-Solo, hahahaha).

One time I managed to engage him in some small talk about a movie and when I told him who one of the actors was, he made a rude dismissive gesture and scoffed, "Come on, you know I don't pay attention that nonsense and who these people are...." Imagining me telling him, "Oh, I have to give you a heads up, I plan to fly to England to see a pop singer," well, it just wouldn't fly. I'd have to lie. Which I could do, but you know...it just seems like a hassle. I'll live vicariously through the rest of you.

> And I don't see
> how one can reconcile saying that you won't go to allow the older fans to
> go in a gesture of kindness, and then turn around and say that you don't
> think the venue will sell out. Because, if it does not sell out, and you
> don't go, you are not taking away a seat from anyone. You are only adding
> your charming presence.

I didn't say that.

> I'm not going to troll you L.O., so I might as well just tell you, not
> everything that goes on here is a joke that requires a smiley face from
> you.

*rolls eyes*

>The DVD? You seem to laugh at everything...

I really do hope he films it for the rest of us!

>but for some of us this is
> a very serious matter. When I read a comment like that, I can't help but
> think of the fact that you are like 25 and don't give a f***, or that as
> your name suggests you got into Moz during Vauxhall...which is neither
> here nor there, except to say that many people came on board during
> Vauxhall and then fled. I don't exactly know where I am going with
> this...but I feel like f***ing shit man, this is his first gig in
> Manchester in over a decade, he is their native son, this is truly a once
> in a lifetime event, and why wouldn't more people make a stronger effort
> to make the journey.

If I were gonna just drop everything and fly overseas, I'd go to Sweden before I'd go to England.

> The ENNUI kills me.

> "Some people do not understand the urgency of life."

> I have suffered hardships in life of all sorts. I made the pilgrimage to
> Mecca (The Hadj) but in the off season they call it "Umra" in
> Saudi Arabia. A 6 hour flight from the East Coast or a 10 hour flight from
> LA is nothing....

Yeah, well I hate sitting on airplanes for hours. I'm very tall and I don't fit in the seats. I also hate standing on line, which I'd no doubt have to do at this Manchester Arena.

>not when it takes over a day to get to India from the
> USA. Youth Hostels are fine places to stay, especially for just a few
> days.

Ew. I hate to say it, but like Morrissey, I prefer the upscale hotels. However, most of all I like my own bed and my own pillow. I'm staying put. = )

>To me, for me, this to would be akin to a religious experience. I
> question the devotion of those that would so easily dismiss such a massive
> affair. I would not even be surprised if J.Marr came out and played a
> couple songs with Moz...really...I feel that anything is possible in this
> return to Manchester.

The last time I saw Morrissey perform, he threw a baby tantrum and left the stage when he saw a sign that read "Joyce 1 Morrissey 0." Imagine flying all the way to Manchester and having him walk off the stage early, or not even show up. I absolutely love to see him perform, but yeah, I'm not gonna make it the focus of my existance.

>I believe the concert will sell out, and quite
> rapidly, because people from England, Scotland, Wales, and Ireland will
> descend on Manchester. I don't understand the lack of love. Having all the
> albums is great, but it does not mean you have this kind of unconditional
> devotion in your heart. And I'm not pointing the finger solely at you...I
> just don't want to respond to the others, because some of them and I don't
> get along.

Has this all been YOUR hoax? You're making me wonder....

> The whole thread makes me very sad...and strikes me as somewhat pointless,
> really. I hope you can take this right way, and see that I'm not trying to
> pick a fight or get into some massive thread war. I just want everyone
> from this site to be there. And if I could afford to pay everyone's way
> and put you all in a 5 star hotel, I would do so in a heartbeat.

> That's all.

> LOL, that too. And the fact that it may not be real.

> Do you want those mp3s by the way?

Yeah, I'd love to have a listen! Thank you. = )

Oi Oi Oi

> I can understand where you are coming from but if this show is for real
> then I'm going to go. I'm in Australia and have been a fan for about the
> same length of time you have but I'm really worried that he won't tour
> down here, I missed out the last time he was in Sydney. Plus I'm going to
> England around May/June anyway.

OMG - there's actually another Aussie on here *arches back and gets territorial*!!!!

I can guarantee 100% Moz will not tour down here again. He took 20 years to come last time, which is why I paid ridiculous amounts of money to a scalper to see the Melbourne gig. I still remember wandering aimlessly around Festival Hall as though someone had kicked my skull in when he cancelled in '91.

If you do wind up going to the Manchester show could you possibly bring a bootleg back with you? Excellent. Cheers!

Re: from a Ghoul to an Oaf

Well said. I'm not the world's greatest realist. I'm a romantic, a day dreamer believer. I'm not as practical & utilitarian as I should be. I am the accidental optimist. I used to be a pessimist. I can get Friday off. Saturday & Sunday, I don't have any obligations.

Next time you post to me, you can expect a point/counterpoint response from me.

Goodnight you wonderful person. Too bad you are not a girl.

I never saw the TV show and perhaps the origins of the line are from UK Punk, but...

"Living in sin with a safety pin."

*Ghoulish*

Who cares whether you go or you do not? You are just one person.

Create a massive thread just to get attention. Pure genius!

Back
Top Bottom