IANADOAC - HD audio (96kHz/24-bit) available at HDtracks.co.uk; HDtracks.co.uk closing Mar. 31, 2020

JR writes:

1. Morrissey’s new album available in HD audio;
2. Not sure if this is likely to be the last as appears some changes at HDtracks.

HDtracks featured releases

full

Is this getting remastered with more dynamics for HD?

If not, then there is no point in buying it since it will contain the already-compressed digital/CD mastering in simply higher resolution.

It’s also available as a 24/96 download at Qobuz. I haven’t compared prices but in my previous experience, Qobuz is often cheaper than HD Tracks - may be one of the reasons HD Tracks is to close?

The California Son version from above wasn't remastered in any sense. I believe the album would have been recorded close to/above 24-bit and the HD version is close to that (either 96/192kHz).
They are not clear if this is just advertising bluster or if the album was mastered at 24-bit and the cd was derived from that or mastered at 16-bit (with its inherent dynamism debate).
Most people don't have the dedicated audio equipment/DAC to fully appreciate that bit rate and just see higher as better, but it certainly sounds amazing when you have it set up right.
Regards,
FWD.

The California Son version from above wasn't remastered in any sense. I believe the album would have been recorded close to/above 24-bit and the HD version is close to that (either 96/192kHz).
They are not clear if this is just advertising bluster or if the album was mastered at 24-bit and the cd was derived from that or mastered at 16-bit (with its inherent dynamism debate).
Most people don't have the dedicated audio equipment/DAC to fully appreciate that bit rate and just see higher as better, but it certainly sounds amazing when you have it set up right.
Regards,
FWD.

The hi-res 96/24 of California Son was very squashed with a Dynamic Range of 5. I don't have the CD on hand at the moment but I'm sure it was the exact same compressed mastering. I'd expect for the hi-res of IANADOAC to be exactly the same deal -- same exact mastering as the CD.

I'd say if a serious re-mix or re-mastering has been done, a new hi-res version may yield some improvements. But just buying hi-res files, not knowing anything about the recording details, you take your chances. Throwing more bits at bad recordings won't help.

Except almost no-one can detect the difference between 16/44.1 and 24/96 or 24/192. Certainly under test conditions (e.g. ABX testing) no-one has ever been able to prove that the higher bitrates offer any audible advantage.

Sorry, should say sounds amazing *to me.
I'm one of those sad types that put money in to a setup that appears to sound better to my ears with a decent bit rate source (even that high) - totally subjective on my part and possibly down to hearing / audio sensitivities.
Truth be told, that type of file in all probability is as much of a novelty item as 5.1 audio.
I appreciate trying to tell anyone about my perceived audio benefits is much akin to getting a thread full of people to agree on the best Smiths track :)
FWD.

The hi-res 96/24 of California Son was very squashed with a Dynamic Range of 5. I don't have the CD on hand at the moment but I'm sure it was the exact same compressed mastering. I'd expect for the hi-res of IANADOAC to be exactly the same deal -- same exact mastering as the CD.

I'd say if a serious re-mix or re-mastering has been done, a new hi-res version may yield some improvements. But just buying hi-res files, not knowing anything about the recording details, you take your chances. Throwing more bits at bad recordings won't help.

The CD is pretty awful DR-wise:
foobar2000 1.5.1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2020-03-22 17:58:39

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Analyzed: Morrissey / I Am Not a Dog on a Chain
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR6 0.00 dB -7.77 dB 3:44 01-Jim Jim Falls
DR5 0.00 dB -7.84 dB 3:15 02-Love Is On Its Way Out
DR7 0.00 dB -9.20 dB 5:46 03-Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?
DR6 0.00 dB -8.47 dB 3:53 04-I Am Not a Dog on a Chain
DR8 0.00 dB -8.89 dB 3:41 05-What Kind of People Live in These Houses?
DR6 0.00 dB -8.30 dB 3:25 06-Knockabout World
DR8 0.00 dB -9.61 dB 4:47 07-Darling, I Hug a Pillow
DR5 0.00 dB -6.36 dB 4:20 08-Once I Saw the River Clean
DR7 0.00 dB -9.96 dB 3:45 09-The Truth About Ruth
DR8 0.00 dB -9.44 dB 7:52 10-The Secret of Music
DR7 0.00 dB -9.05 dB 5:01 11-My Hurling Days Are Done

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 44100 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 16
Bitrate: 904 kbps
Codec: FLAC

Once I Saw the River Clean is particularly horrible:
Once I Saw the River Clean Audacity.jpg

My gosh what an incredible artist! Morrissey has absolutely kicked ass with this release it is up there with his absolute best work bar none. He is back in top form. The tracks on this record are astonishing. With "Once I Saw the River Clean" alone Moz has just made the best Depeche Mode song ever made and Depeche Mode is one kick ass band!

I walked with my grandmother
Down a windblown Chester Road
With her fifty-two new pence
For her twenty number-tens
And my forty-five pence too
Demand metal guru
Once with hearts securely stacked
Then we walked all the way back

Slightly different Peak and RMS values for the 24/96 version but the DR numbers are identical throughout:
foobar2000 1.5.1 / Dynamic Range Meter 1.1.1
log date: 2020-03-22 18:17:04

Analyzed: Morrissey / I Am Not a Dog on a Chain

DR Peak RMS Duration Track
DR6 -0.20 dB -7.96 dB 3:44 01-Jim Jim Falls
DR5 -0.20 dB -7.94 dB 3:15 02-Love Is on Its Way Out
DR7 -0.20 dB -9.40 dB 5:46 03-Bobby, Don't You Think They Know?
DR6 -0.20 dB -8.67 dB 3:53 04-I Am Not a Dog on a Chain
DR8 -0.20 dB -9.09 dB 3:41 05-What Kind of People Live in These Houses?
DR6 -0.20 dB -8.49 dB 3:25 06-Knockabout World
DR8 -0.20 dB -9.81 dB 4:47 07-Darling, I Hug a Pillow
DR5 -0.20 dB -6.56 dB 4:20 08-Once I Saw the River Clean
DR7 -0.20 dB -10.21 dB 3:45 09-The Truth About Ruth
DR8 -0.20 dB -9.54 dB 7:52 10-The Secret of Music
DR7 -0.20 dB -9.25 dB 5:01 11-My Hurling Days Are Done

Number of tracks: 11
Official DR value: DR7

Samplerate: 96000 Hz
Channels: 2
Bits per sample: 24
Bitrate: 2942 kbps
Codec: FLAC

My gosh what an incredible artist! Morrissey has absolutely kicked ass with this release it is up there with his absolute best work bar none. He is back in top form. The tracks on this record are astonishing. With "Once I Saw the River Clean" alone Moz has just made the best Depeche Mode song ever made and Depeche Mode is one kick ass band!

Demand metal guru
Pure poetry, and some said on here that from the three song released before the album, that it all sounded lyrically weak, well they are all choking on their number tens now!!! I can remember smoking emberecy no 6 when I was ten years old. I used to swipe 36&half pence from my older sisters whiskey bottle, that contained copper money. Flee to the shop across the road for them...

Pure poetry, and some said on here that from the three song released before the album, that it all sounded lyrically weak, well they are all choking on their number tens now!!! I can remember smoking emberecy no 6 when I was ten years old. I used to swipe 36&half pence from my older sisters whiskey bottle, that contained copper money. Flee to the shop across the road for them...
And his forty-five pence demanded Morrissey buy the T.Rex single Metal Guru. Brilliant song, in fact, the entire record is truly one of his absolute best.

Has anyone posted this ‘huge ‘ review..

Can someone explain these lyrics to an American?
what are her “twenty number-tens”

Demand metal guru

Tags
i am not a dog on a chain info

Trending Threads