I wish I would've been a Morrissey fan at his prime..

alma matters

Due to being a 21 year old American, when Moz was at the prime of his career, I hadn't known about him. I was too young to know about the Smiths, and when Moz had his solo career in the '90s, I was either too young or the craze didn't reach me in small town America.

I got introduced to him from my fiance, who's 11 years my senior, who loves The Smiths and Moz. We used to sit in his living room and just listen to The Smiths, as he didn't have cable. I was hooked on the music from the second I first heard 'Hand in Glove', and was even more intriuged by Morrissey. It did not take me long to borrow all of his Morrissey cds (he has all of them until the 2000s), and purchase the one he didn't have (YATQ) and buy ROTT the first day it came out.

I am now catching up and watching all the performances and interviews of the past 20 years I missed on youtube. I wish I was a part of it when it was all new! I fear I will never see him live in concert. It sounds like such an amazing experience.

Last edited:
Congrats on finding Morrissey!
Doesn't matter where or when you become a fan, at least you are now.
As for seeing him live, never say never. I think he'll continue touring for many years to come and will continue to find new fans along the way.
Keep listening to the back catalogue, even after all these years I still get a thrill.

I'm the same way. I'm only 19 and I've spent the last 2 years painstakingly seeking out every single CD and single and random song release that I've missed. Which has actually been much harder than it sounds when the local Best Buys and record shops don't have any idea who The Smiths and Morrissey are. :mad: What kind of crap is that? :confused:

But the good news is, I now own about 98% of the material to date as well as many of the DVDs that are available. WOOT!

The one good thing about becoming a fan later on, is it's all new-ish to me! I got over alot of the bands I really liked because they never released any new material, and I got somewhat sick of listening to the same music over and over.

Seeing all of the music videos and performances, and even the cds (although I am familar with them all now, wouldn't consider them 'new') are new to me. I can't imagine tiring of Morrissey, but right now it's not even possible. I am so intrigued!

I really, really hope he comes to America though, to tour. I have no idea who I will drag to his concert (none of my friends quite understand my obsession with him, they like that terrible, mainstream pop and can't see my fixation with a man in his late 40s), and my fiance is in Iraq. Even alone, it will be so worth it!

I'm quite new Morrissey-fan, too. I have been his fan only a year now...
And I, too, wish I had been his fan in the early 90s when things were crazy...:D

But that would have been impossible because I was born in 1988:p

I'm the same way. I'm only 19 and I've spent the last 2 years painstakingly seeking out every single CD and single and random song release that I've missed. Which has actually been much harder than it sounds when the local Best Buys and record shops don't have any idea who The Smiths and Morrissey are. :mad: What kind of crap is that? :confused:

But the good news is, I now own about 98% of the material to date as well as many of the DVDs that are available. WOOT!

Yeah, I definitely have the advantage having all the Smiths and Morrissey stuff I wanted at my fingertips, as I was introduced by a big fan. I was pretty happy being able to find both 'deluxe' versions of YATQ and ROTT here. I never see anything else in stores though, aside from Earls Court, and the generic Best Of one. It is great you finally have gotten mostly everything.

I am so glad to see other young Morrissey fans. None of my friends here really understand why I like him. The mainstream pop of today seems to have caught so many people, it's hard for them to listen to or understand good, unique music such as Moz's. I don't know a single other Moz fan (aside from my fiance) around me. It's quite sad, actually.

I too am quite a new Morrissey fan. I'm 21 and wish I was a fan in The Smith days and Mozza's early solo career. I truly hope Moz comes to tour the US, I've never seen him live and I am so anxious to and am trying to wait patiently for those tour dates to be announced. I haven't given up hope yet!

My friends have no idea who Moz is! Well, at least they didn't until I started to rant about him:D. My first Morrissey gig was in August 2006 and I was amazed to see so many Moz-fans. It was wonderful to be able to talk about Moz to people who knew who I was talking about.

I own every album from The Smiths and Morrissey, except Beethoven Was Deaf and Maladjusted. I want them!:(

yeah I'm 17. I really wish I'd seen him in Smiths days but i saw him in August in Dublin and he was amazing so I'm just glad I wasnt born 30 years from now

The only thing that irrates me about being a young slip of a lad at 21 is that I wasn't able to go the Boxers tour. I couldn't care less about anything else I missed out on, as there's no point as nothing can be done about it. But I would've loved to have been able to see him in 1995.

Call me an unrepairable optimist but I think his prime isn't over yet so you're not in any way late to jump on the wagon.

Oh goodness I wish the same thing every day!

I actully more along the lines, wish I was born around the time of the smiths, or something, I am so young, a lot of people are suprised I've even heard of them, I'm suprised to, but I just hope with all my heart, I get to see Moz in concert, before there's no more concerts, or something happens, you know what I mean, I just want to see him in concert, and meet him.

i feel regretful about being late for discovering both moz and smiths..and i used to be a kid in moz solo era...thats very sad 4 mebut on the other hand regrets made me more obsessed with him and smiths

I totally agree with you all. I'm a 17 year old american (what a drag). It's a shame more people don't appreciate him. I'm trying to write a thesis paper, and told my teacher I wanted to analyze Morrissey lyrics, or something along those lines. His response "Jim Morrison?" sigh

I wish I could began with him by 1988 but...I was a year old ...but everything's got it's right time and I'm grateful for just knowing him

I totally agree with you all. I'm a 17 year old american (what a drag). It's a shame more people don't appreciate him. I'm trying to write a thesis paper, and told my teacher I wanted to analyze Morrissey lyrics, or something along those lines. His response "Jim Morrison?" sigh

Hahaha...My mom did that, too! I said something about Morrissey, and she goes "oh, Jim Morrison, isn't he dead?"

*slaps forehead*

Gah!

I wish I was a part of it when it was all new! I fear I will never see him live in concert. It sounds like such an amazing experience.

I feel your pain. I'm 20 and became a fan about a year prior to the release of YATQ, so I've missed a large part of his musical career as well. That fear of never seeing him perform live lingers with me a great deal, primarily because I live far away from the rest of the world.

I've had a similar experience - I learned early on that being a serious Smiths and Morrissey fan requires large amounts of money attempting to track down items from many years past. :D eBay has been very useful in that regard.

I feel the pain of the posters above.

I was around for all of it but I think you guys still have something massive in your favour. It's not what point of his career that Moz is at, it's what point in your life you're at.

I think it's safe to say that Moz speaks more to those carving out their identity and establishing themselves in life than the ones who are settled and no longer 'searching' or 'pining' for anything.

If you'd been around at the time of Boxers or any other point you might of been like many of us who were lamenting the weakening of each passing release....wait a min....that's what we're still doing!!! :eek:

Discovering Moz around 16-18 is ideal in my opinion, it doesn't matter what year you reach that point.

Back
Top Bottom