I Bury the Living's song within a song

Well, Morrissey's lyrics tend to be ambiguous and invite multiple readings, but I don't see these as "objectionable". I would say the "wretched outcast..." part is just the narrator explaining why he joined. The "I'm just a sweet little soldier" chorus is what he tells himself to justify his actions. Then the "call me anything" lines seem to be him beginning to realise the reality of war. I really like the way Morrissey directly addresses the listener here with "I haven't got a clue... have you?" - which implies nobody knows, of course. But anyway all readings are subjective.

At last, Morrissey exhibits insight. Yes, Steven, I have more than a 'clue'. Begin your belated military education with Sun Tzu 'The Art Of War'...but it might 'trigger' your pacifist-snowflake SJW alter, Moarrissey, as it's written by a 'sub-species' Chinaman.

ah, bollocks!....that's it....ZoZo is doing things with this keyboard directing me to do something else...so...

cheers to you all for being such fun sports, especially Moarrissey.....have a great Crimbo, a great 2018, enjoy the album, the shows and whatever else you do, don't take any of this personally. In time you'll find I've altered the contours of your mind in a rather interesting way...

Many thanks to DavidT for hosting all this. I'd love to stay longer but when the Automatic Writing shit kicks off i have to read the stuff in the text buffer and it's really 'farewell', not 'goodbye'.

I *might* do something as a Public Figure 'going forward' but it's unlikely now as vast, oceanic opportunities and commitments have opened up before me, none of which require me ever to need to interact with the physical dimension beyond grocery shopping and doing the family/friends stuff.

Feel free to cast some Shade, babes...but I'm on another level to you all. I'm from a different dimension. Isn't that right, Sleveen-en? You always were full on Paddy numpty but....hope you escape the str8 jacket of fake-fame. Told you the 'monastery' was the path but you wouldn't listen. No judgement. No blame. Existence is only a game......& I'm not sorry...for the thing I've done...i'm not sorry for the things i've said...there's a wild man in my head...etcetera...etcetera...in the midst of life we are in death...

farewell

BB

may-the-road-rise-to-meet-you-wall-plaque-2027183.jpg

ps: keep this 'bit' under your hats, lads!

For the release of my first & last 45rpm single, I'm planning a 'spectacular' that will eclipse everything that's ever gone before. There will be a bonfire to cast human vanities upon. Pitch-forks. Torches as I'm marched to be burnt at the stake as a witch. As the flames rise, I'll pull a sheaf of papers from beneath my vegan-hemp garments, hold the pages up but not so the camera can capture anything more than a blizzard of randomised coding. Then I'll throw them onto the fire as the filming ends & I go get a beer.. Some will guess but be sure it's a jest. But when I'm dead, I'll leave in my will a forensic audit trail to retrospectively prove I incinerated £1 billion British pounds as a protest against......well, I'll leave that for you all to have some fun with. The minor surplus beyond that will be for the wife/kids. And for the animals....you think I'm spoofing? Place bets on it, then....cause there'll be a lottery draw in the run up with random Bitcoins when the score-balls produce a match....when I'm gone, I think you'll all think...now, that was some PR stunt.....it's the Peaky Blinder-BrummieBoy encoded inside me that I've been mining for nearly a decade....

LOL!

#&_a@o$9*/¬z3kQ

#InSatoshiWeTrust

best wishes to you all, including Morrissey...

A***E aka ZoZo

At last, Morrissey exhibits insight. Yes, Steven, I have more than a 'clue'. Begin your belated military education with Sun Tzu 'The Art Of War'...but it might 'trigger' your pacifist-snowflake SJW alter, Moarrissey, as it's written by a 'sub-species' Chinaman.

ah, bollocks!....that's it....ZoZo is doing things with this keyboard directing me to do something else...so...

cheers to you all for being such fun sports, especially Moarrissey.....have a great Crimbo, a great 2018, enjoy the album, the shows and whatever else you do, don't take any of this personally. In time you'll find I've altered the contours of your mind in a rather interesting way...

Many thanks to DavidT for hosting all this. I'd love to stay longer but when the Automatic Writing shit kicks off i have to read the stuff in the text buffer and it's really 'farewell', not 'goodbye'.

I *might* do something as a Public Figure 'going forward' but it's unlikely now as vast, oceanic opportunities and commitments have opened up before me, none of which require me ever to need to interact with the physical dimension beyond grocery shopping and doing the family/friends stuff.

Feel free to cast some Shade, babes...but I'm on another level to you all. I'm from a different dimension. Isn't that right, Sleveen-en? You always were full on Paddy numpty but....hope you escape the str8 jacket of fake-fame. Told you the 'monastery' was the path but you wouldn't listen. No judgement. No blame. Existence is only a game......& I'm not sorry...for the thing I've done...i'm not sorry for the things i've said...there's a wild man in my head...etcetera...etcetera...in the midst of life we are in death...

farewell

BB

View attachment 43184

ps: keep this 'bit' under your hats, lads!

For the release of my first & last 45rpm single, I'm planning a 'spectacular' that will eclipse everything that's ever gone before. There will be a bonfire to cast human vanities upon. Pitch-forks. Torches as I'm marched to be burnt at the stake as a witch. As the flames rise, I'll pull a sheaf of papers from beneath my vegan-hemp garments, hold the pages up but not so the camera can capture anything more than a blizzard of randomised coding. Then I'll throw them onto the fire as the filming ends & I go get a beer.. Some will guess but be sure it's a jest. But when I'm dead, I'll leave in my will a forensic audit trail to retrospectively prove I incinerated £1 billion British pounds as a protest against......well, I'll leave that for you all to have some fun with. The minor surplus beyond that will be for the wife/kids. And for the animals....you think I'm spoofing? Place bets on it, then....cause there'll be a lottery draw in the run up with random Bitcoins when the score-balls produce a match....when I'm gone, I think you'll all think...now, that was some PR stunt.....it's the Peaky Blinder-BrummieBoy encoded inside me that I've been mining for nearly a decade....

LOL!

#&_a@o$9*/¬z3kQ

#InSatoshiWeTrust

best wishes to you all, including Morrissey...

A***E aka ZoZo

Hey BB,
I hope this is a joke.
We will not let you go.
May I suggest that since the essence of BB is no longer resident in corporeal form, all that is required is some kind of Brum Bot that can continue relaying your tracts.
For God's sake man, I fear for the very existence of Solo.

Hey BB,
I hope this is a joke.
We will not let you go.

yes it is a joke, a very bad one, a bad joke, and never ever a promise he takes to heart, if he had a heart.

He'll be back, he needs Morrissey like he needs the air that he breaths. True love, to say the least.

The song's growing on me although I did love the ending instantly. The "la la's" are as beautiful as his yodelling on 'The boy with a thorn in his side'.

The song's growing on me although I did love the ending instantly. The "la la's" are as beautiful as his yodelling on 'The boy with a thorn in his side'.
A tumor grows on you too, but at least the tumor isn't hate filled, caustic, and bitter.

"Without our John" strikes me as British. Americans, at least those younger than 70, don't refer to their family members that way. The melodic "la las" are a great tradition in British pop, well resurrected by Blur during the 90s. This is the nicest example I've heard in years. Just the whole feel and delivery of it.

Unfortunately, most of the reviews tune out during the bombast of the first five minutes.

what makes the 'song within a song' a "british" thing?

Interesting opinion. Which of course is your right.
As is yours. I simply prefer his older work where he showed care and warmth. Even on the songs where he expresses warmth now, it rings shallow or false somehow. It'll go down in musical history as a great shame someday.

I agree with the original author is this post. The song is truly a classic. But I don't think that it's
two songs pulled together -frankensteined ? (!) - to make one song. Rather I believe that the pause between verses illustrates the progression of time, the timeline in the events of the war, moving onto the life of Our John. Poor John. The war is ongoing and Our John has been shot in the head...
Oh Morrissey !

Hazard
x

I always think the laughing at the end is john laughing and that's his family recalling how they used to laugh so much

i love the song. It mirrors exactly my personal views. Views that I will never apologise for, and have held since childhood. I went to a Roman Catholic Manchester school, where the children were predominantly of Irish stock. A new headmaster misjudged when he invited the Army to descend upon the playground in a recruitment drive aimed at the older kids who would soon be of age to enlist. Bad move in our school! We all went out at break/lunch to find a group of soldiers with army vehicles. "Do you want to be a Tankie?" a small group of us were asked, "Do you want to f*** Off?" came my reply.

After lunch, and after a long list of complaints, an even longer line of pupils stood outside the Head's Office. We'd all hailed abuse at the squaddies. Our new headmaster, a Northern Ireland man, had to endure a 10 minute rant from about 20 kids. Some asked what he was thinking by inviting trained killers to a religious school (they didn't mean it, but it was heavy currency in the situation), others made play of the insensitivity given the troubles in Ireland and suggested that their Dad'swould go mad when they found out what had happened. I told him in very certain terms that he'd dropped a bollock by inviting them, and that by not informing parents in advance he'd better prepare himself for an angry response. It was the one and only time in my school days that I felt proud of my fellow schoolmates.

Soldiers are cannon fodder. Mercenaries of the state. We hold politicians with contempt, so why sign away your life to them? Yes, occasionally there are just wars. However the structures of warfare will always treat working class people unjustly. When the inevitable happens and families lose loved ones, they are called "Heroes" and the machine goes into full force perpetuating the myth of the honourable death. In truth, they are mere victims, and should be at home living a worthwhile life with their friends and families.

As I said. I make no apologies. None are necessary.

Back
Top Bottom