Houston Chronicle: "When Morrissey visited Houston's Record Rack in 1992" (July 29, 2021)

900x0[1].jpg

ratio3x2_900.jpg

They came bearing gladiolas.

On July 29, 1992, hundreds of Houston youths lined South Shepherd near Alabama to meet Morrissey, who dropped by Record Rack as part of a six-city promotional tour for his solo album “Your Arsenal.”

56 image gallery of fans & Morrissey at the event.

900x0.jpg

A brief reminiscing article with large gallery.
Video from the event archived: here.
Regards,
FWD.

Some amazing pics in that huge gallery.
A lot of protesters out there too protesting against the record store. I wonder what happened there. They seemed to be trying to warn Moz about something.

Started in the mid 90s he was at the top of the world in 94 with vauxhall and I which he didn’t do a tour for which he should have. He did a Uk tour for the compilation album world of Morrissey and soutpaw grammer which were decent albums but didn’t feel like full albums on there own considering one was a compilation and the southpaw only had 8 or 9 songs which had long tracks, and then he did maladjusted and did a world tour for that album now looking at it and listening to the album it was good album but at the time it didn’t sound like your usual Morrissey album plus he changed his look and was on a different record company he also recently lost his court trial to Mike Joyce. After poor record sales of maladjusted and the record company being swallowed up by another company he was dropped and he was on hiatus of a record company from 97 to 04 he had comeback resurgence in 04-05 but nothing like his early solo days and put out 2 good albums you are the quarry and ringleaders and then his career once again started to fall off again by the end of the 2000’s and it’s continued to fall off. Morrissey tends to self sabotage his own career while blaming others for his f*** ups and failings. While massively talented he has no one to blame but himself for where his career is.
Quarry I believe is the biggest selling album of his entire career. At that particular moment he bigger than ever.

I get the feeling he's been more unhappy these last ten years than he's ever been before in his career. He's harsher, colder, sadder, angrier and more bitter - and less witty - than ever before, and even more at war with the world. And he's clearly lacking in judgment. All of this has been apparent in both interviews and lyrics. Add to that that he's released his two worst ever albums during these years, WPINOYB and LIHS, having had to work with weaker material than ever before.

And his self-sabotage has really escalated. The statements made (too many to mention), the constant fighting with record labels, the state of his website, the Simpsons debacle, the cancer/Barrett's debacle, the cancelled tours and gigs, the refusal to renounce AMW - all of this has made him poison to both the general public and the media. And the box offices, I guess.

I love him to bits, and I always will, but pretending like everything is fine and dandy never helped anyone. Morrissey is such a great, talented artist. A true original. He deserves so much more than what he's endured this past ten years. But ultimately it's up to him. Any true fan would agree that all of this is beneath him.

Right so record sales don’t equal popularity? Mmmmm k :ROFLMAO:
No it doesn’t different times and different eras You also have to factor in that his popularity was tremendous during 91 and 92 and he didn’t have the internet to help out in 91 or 92 like he did in 04/05 where you can order his album and singles online and delivered where you didn’t need to head down to your local record store and buy. That wasn’t the case in 91 and 92.

No it doesn’t different times and different eras You also have to factor in that his popularity was tremendous during 91 and 92 and he didn’t have the internet to help out in 91 or 92 like he did in 04/05 where you can order his album and singles online and delivered where you didn’t need to head down to your local record store and buy. That wasn’t the case in 91 and 92.
In 2004 you were still heading down to the record store to buy the album buddy.,

In 1995, I'd say. After the career peak of Vauxhall he left EMI and started his everlasting tour of the record companies. Starting the RCA deal with a career-worst single (Dagenham Dave) and a hastily put together & seriously flawed album in peak Britpop era really pushed him onto a downward slope.
I agree... although I think 2004 with YATQ was seen as a genuine reboot and his brand was once again in good form, the sins of the past forgotten (hell, he was even going to headline Lollapalooza) ... but then he followed it up with weak albums... and other missteps that have already been mentioned.

Last edited:
That is correct. The people there protesting were upset about the numbering system. The fans had their own numbering system and then Record Rack created their own after this.
I was about 7th in line and see myself in a few of the photos. While I was wearing shorts (in the Texas heat), I don't think I was wearing jorts.

We got there the day before and camped out in line being sure not to leave. It was well worth it. I still have my copy of You're the One for Me, Fatty he signed to me... In crayon. Most of inscription and autograph remains. I hugged him as well.

Now try the worldwide numbers dum dum
Well since your so f***ing smart Why don’t you show us the numbers dip shit we showed you numbers now you provide these worldwide numbers then. Since you claim worldwide numbers put your money where you mouth is and show us these world wide numbers.

Well since your so f***ing smart Why don’t you show us the numbers dip shit we showed you numbers now you provide these worldwide numbers then. Since you claim worldwide numbers put your money where you mouth is and show us these world wide numbers.
You don’t believe me bro? You sure YA did bigger worldwide numbers than Curry?

You don’t believe me bro? You sure YA did bigger worldwide numbers than Curry?
Well your not providing any numbers so no I don’t believe you or any page that shows any numbers. You spout off a made up mumbo number, I believe you as much as I would believe Fox News.

Well your not providing any numbers so no I don’t believe you or any page that shows any numbers. You spout off a made up mumbo number, I believe you as much as I would believe Fox News.
As per Wiki which referenced Billboard YATQ did a million plus sales I believe in the year it was released which I don't think Morrissey has ever achieved with any other release solo or Smiths. Obviously over time certain albums have passed the million sales mark, but within a 12 month span only Quarry has done the business. 2004 was peak Morrissey in terms of popularity.

As per Wiki which referenced Billboard YATQ did a million plus sales I believe in the year it was released which I don't think Morrissey has ever achieved with any other release solo or Smiths. Obviously over time certain albums have passed the million sales mark, but within a 12 month span only Quarry has done the business. 2004 was peak Morrissey in terms of popularity.

No it was not his peak of popularity and your going on a Wikipedia page that can be changed and edited also there are no certifications for those sales of supposed million. A million could have been distributed but never sold. 91 and 92 was his peak. Ask any fas who have been fans since the smith days and they will tell you 91 and 92 was his peak.

Trending Threads

Back
Top Bottom