Happy Lovers United

Just found this on Youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u25A5ZhWc9E

First impression I got, is that it is about his parents.

That's not my impression at all It's pretty much plain in the lyrics. He told porkies to two estranged lovers to get them back together, and is well chuffed with the results; but, as ever, he is rebuffed once the deed is done. I think it's absolutely quintessential Morrissey, at at time when the Street/Morrissey partnership was at it's zenith.

P.

Last edited:
Maybe the two estranged lovers are his folks?

I got the impression his ma is happier fantazising about the One show host really. With all due respect to Ms D :o (hat off)

...Steven's dad is probably hotter, mind, but that's not for us to judge (hat off).

Ahem.:o

Oh, look, a Connemara poney!

Don't forget to spike his drink.

Why is he a teetotall/ tee- F what's that word again (alcohol causes memory loss, or worse, memory loss)

No worries it's not enough yet to win a drink . But it's defo a step in the right direction!:clap:

Regardless of the lyrical origins of the song I felt it was head and shoulders above any of the other fairly recent discoveries.

It would have made a lovely stand alone single.

I like the way he sings like he's half-retarded on this one.:)

(It's actually a compliment.) What an odd little song. Still better than most recent ones. At least it's amusing. (compliment /cont'd.)

bet you don't want me naooooooooooooooooooh -ahhhhh hannnggging araouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuund ouuuuuuuuuuuh, gnnnnnnnnn.

Last edited:
Yes, I think they are fictional, symbolic lovers. The situation is set up to highlight the singer's status as a terminal outsider when it comes to romantic attachments.

Yes, I think they are fictional, symbolic lovers. The situation is set up to highlight the singer's status as a terminal outsider when it comes to romantic attachments.

Actually, I think it is absolutely about two real people. And a real situation.

Infact, I think the transparentness of the lyric may well have persuaded Moz to shelve this one. That and the fact that the other three tracks recorded were so very strong. Interesting to listen to this one in the context of Sister, Disappointed, and Will Never Marry.

I hear echoes of Sixties girl groups in the music. The Marvelettes possibly. I think with more work and production polish this could have been a really great track.

Actually, I think it is absolutely about two real people. And a real situation.

Infact, I think the transparentness of the lyric may well have persuaded Moz to shelve this one. That and the fact that the other three tracks recorded were so very strong. Interesting to listen to this one in the context of Sister, Disappointed, and Will Never Marry.

I hear echoes of Sixties girl groups in the music. The Marvelettes possibly. I think with more work and production polish this could have been a really great track.

It could be based on a real situation of course, but the point is the same. As in 'I just want to see the boy happy' Moz neglects/refutes his own needs and projects his hopes and desires onto the subject.

I imagine that most of Morrissey songs are based on real situation however with a few adaptations of it.

(07.10 AM on a Sunday might be a bit early to breach the subject of "songs in character" :rolleyes: "not at all not at all")

Anyway. If you're right Orson and he delayed that release because it was too personal and real :)laughing:), we're mightly lucky that most of the Morrissey solo catalogue is about fictional people and situations.

:straightface:

like, people who don't exist; can't make a scene at his hotel, tell Jesse to frown at him for them, complain to his mother, or ask Russell, who's stressed enough at the moment thank you :mad:, to take sides.

Aaaah, people who are not real: bliss. :)

Back
Top Bottom