Guitar Question...

Ok, so I want to start learning guitar (and prefrebly teach myself in a D.I.Y. manner)...does it make much difference if I choose to learn on a 12 string as opposed to a 6 string?

Love PTxx.

Don't learn on a 12-string. They're a bastard to keep in tune. I bought a nice Tanglewood 12-string last year, and I play it very rarely, preferring to use the standard 6-string one.

Peter

Ok, so I want to start learning guitar (and prefrebly teach myself in a D.I.Y. manner)...does it make much difference if I choose to learn on a 12 string as opposed to a 6 string?

Love PTxx.

i'd advise against it, young sir

Don't learn on a 12-string. They're a bastard to keep in tune. I bought a nice Tanglewood 12-string last year, and I play it very rarely, preferring to use the standard 6-string one.

Peter

i'd advise against it, young sir

I really want to capture that nice jangly sound used by Marr and guy from The Byrds (who's name escapes me)...is this still possible to capture aswell on a 6 string as opposed to a 12?

Love PTxx.

very nice guitar but id really advise you to play a 6 string..when you start then work your way up..johnny marr has a weird tuning..ive gotten a friend to try to match the tuning on a 6 string he said it was pretty hard to match the same tone as a 12 string.

If you look on Youtube, Daniel Earwicker does some excellent Smiths songs on a 12-string Rickenbacker 330.

Peter

I'd suggest learning on a 6 string acoustic..You'll find when you switch to electric it's much easier. I can get that Byrd's jingle jangle with a 6 string.

I really want to capture that nice jangly sound used by Marr and guy from The Byrds (who's name escapes me)...is this still possible to capture aswell on a 6 string as opposed to a 12?

Love PTxx.

if you're JUST learning how to play the guitar, I wouldnt even think about sounding like Marr, just yet.....

The only tune I can play is 'Please, Please, Please Let Me Get What I Want'...that is on a 6-string acoustic...ages since I last played it so I doubt I can still pull it off.

Love PTxx.

Lol, I have just decided that when I can play guitar I shall form a Wedding Present tribute band by myself...this is because their tunes adopt a nice guitar sound plus my brother keeps telling me that I sound liek David Gedge when I sing...I guess many people with a Northern accent do...hmm, I would call myself The Weddo

(by the way I am not serious about the above ^ apart from me sounding a bit Gedge-esque...I would play their songs but unfortunately The Weddo shall never happen)

Love PTxx.

I don't play guitar myself, but I would think that a 12-string would be harder on the fingers than a 6-string. I don't think I'd attempt a 12-string until I had developed some calluses first.

I wouldn't invest any money on a Rickenbacker 360 series/12 until you have learned to play a bit.

Last edited:
I wouldn't invest any money on a Rickenbacker 360 series until you have learned to play a bit.

Yeh, they are pretty expensive and maybe not best for a learner guitar...my brother has a couple of old spare ones which I reckon I could learn on before any serious investment.

Love PTxx.

Back
Top Bottom