Golden lights

majic_johnson

sorry if this has already been posted a million times but...
is it just me who loves the smiths cover of golden lights? theres something about it i like. anyone with me? or am i to be embarressed by the slaughter of disgust :(

Re: Golden lights...

Nothing wrong with liking the song, but it's not my favourite.

However, strangely many people believe that the song caused the disagreement between Morrissey and Johnny which subsequently split of The Smiths.

Well, sorry to conform to expectations, but in my frank opinion it is the only completely shite song the Smiths ever made, by a very wide margin. On a scale from 1 to 10, whatever song I chose as the second-worst Smiths song would be a 5. GL would be a 1. Sorry.

cheers

Last edited:

It broke up the Smiths? Best. Song. Ever. :thumb:

Well, sorry to conform to expectations, but in my frank opinion it is the only completely shite song the Smiths ever made, by a very wide margin.

cheers

That's a bit harsh. Surely Never Had No One Ever & Unlovable are equally terrible.

I don't know why I said that, I like Golden Lights too. It's a bit odd, a bit off colour & reminds me so much of Sweetie Pie which I really really like.

Well, sorry to conform to expectations, but in my frank opinion it is the only completely shite song the Smiths ever made, by a very wide margin. On a scale from 1 to 10, whatever song I chose as the second-worst Smiths song would be a 5. GL would be a 1. Sorry.

cheers

Worse then Work is a four letter word?

That's a bit harsh. Surely Never Had No One Ever & Unlovable are equally terrible.

I don't know why I said that, I like Golden Lights too. It's a bit odd, a bit off colour & reminds me so much of Sweetie Pie which I really really like.

Nowhere even remotely close - in fact I would say they are both pretty good songs. But hey, that's taste for you. And kudos to majic for standing up for the unusual position. :)

cheers

However, strangely many people believe that the song caused the disagreement between Morrissey and Johnny which subsequently split of The Smiths.

I think you mean 'Work is A Four Letter Word.' While Johnny disliked 'Golden Lights,' some take WIAFLW as the final straw -- Johnny is quoted as saying, "I didn't form a band to do Cilla Black covers."

sorry if this has already been posted a million times but...
is it just me who loves the smiths cover of golden lights? theres something about it i like. anyone with me? or am i to be embarressed by the slaughter of disgust :(

You're not alone! I rather like it as well! (Although, I'm also the one who posted the "Sorrow Will Come in the End Appreciation Thread," if that gives any indication).
We seem to be among the most few. I think it accurately displays Mozzer's love for the 60s girl scene. Kirsty MacColl's backing vocals are wispy and beautiful, and Johnny's mandolin work here is nothing short of golden.
:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

:eek:
You don't like Never Had No One Ever either??

I like the original. And I can see why Moz liked it enough to want to sing it, but... he should have "waited". It wasn't a Smiths song, and he should have known he was pushing the other members' patience with it. It's not a "lads" song either, so he should have sang it in the shower and that's it.:blushing:
Also, I think it was poorly produced.

y produced.

It was excellently produced, according to Goddard, but Morrissey went back into the studio and farked it up spectacularly. He did a similar thing with Sweetie-Pie, but, even though we know Mikey's version now, I have a real soft-spot for the released version of Sweetie-Pie, it's grown on me like a verrucca.

Peter

P.S - you can see my quoting skills on this forum are top-hole.

Last edited:

It was excellently produced, according to Goddard, but Morrissey went back into the studio and farked it up spectacularly. He did a similar thing with Sweetie-Pie, but, even though we know Mikey's version now, I have a real soft-spot for the released version of Sweetie-Pie, it's grown on me like a verrucca..

Oh Mozzer, Mozzer... Oh you're right, Mikey's version! IMO, much better, but the released version did grow on me too.

P.S - you can see my quoting skills on this forum are top-hole.
:lbf:

I think you mean 'Work is A Four Letter Word.' While Johnny disliked 'Golden Lights,' some take WIAFLW as the final straw -- Johnny is quoted as saying, "I didn't form a band to do Cilla Black covers."

I stand corrected.

I was trying to come up with the perfect playlist for Smiths songs, so I could listen to it in a loop.

Now I know what to do!

41155727.png

You're not alone! I rather like it as well! (Although, I'm also the one who posted the "Sorrow Will Come in the End Appreciation Thread," if that gives any indication).
We seem to be among the most few. I think it accurately displays Mozzer's love for the 60s girl scene. Kirsty MacColl's backing vocals are wispy and beautiful, and Johnny's mandolin work here is nothing short of golden.
:blushing: :blushing: :blushing:

:eek:
You don't like Never Had No One Ever either??

lol i love 'sorrow will come in the end' Lawyer... Liar... Lawyer... Liar!

I was trying to come up with the perfect playlist for Smiths songs, so I could listen to it in a loop.

Now I know what to do!

41155727.png

Made me chuckle

Back
Top Bottom