Golden Lights Extinguished

DesboroKev

Thirty one years ago and still at the foreskin of my mind, the jangling guitars, the vaseline mist and Morrissey contorting flowers and beads with angst-ridden face and lyrics on The Tube's first showing of 'This Charming Man'. Like the birth of a child,like looking into Lydon's teenage meaningful eyes, a life-changing moment. The Smiths live and finally we breathed the same venue air and a lifelong relationship developed and matured-and we grew together. For a regular Joe like me, The Smiths and then the solo Morrissey shaped my life- challenging and supportive at the same time. Although life was clearly world's apart- the messages in lyrics were not. This talented, genius lyricist from Manchester, Salford, Los Angeles meant so much as I lay on the bedroom floor. The excitement of a Smiths gig translated to the excitement of early Morrissey gigs. I recall all too well Wembley Arena and the sell out crowd gurgling from the circle and responding during Playboys.The World Would Listen! Mid-90s and the less packed Ipswich Regent (where I shouted out and he replied that I proudly have secured forever) and the even less packed Norwich UEA where I could stand more or less side-stage. Finsbury Park and Madstock anyone. Wembley Arena once more and Bowie and Morrissey followed by just Bowie. (You get nowhere unless bowing before Queen David?). Band changes, Croydon. Opening night at Nottingham Rock City and a return to form. But then...but then....a chance meeting with connections and 'would you like to meet him?'...'No,because I know I'd be let down'. 'He's on my radio show tomorrow,come in, make the teas for us,it won't be a problem'.....'Much as it's a lifetime ambition,I can't;it would undoubtedly shatter my opinion.....'

Too many gigs to mention. Thank you to the 'brave ones' at Drury Lane as by now, he traditionally scarpered. The man that used to write back to fans in The Smiths. Gigs in recent years in cold lifeless venues other than the MENA. Parental pride as I stand outside the Lads Club with my young son. Predictable albums with 2-3 decent tunes on each,diminishing humour getting gradually worser.....changing from wit and humour to constant wingeing. As I age, I am the same but have now decided, 31 years on that divorce is forced now. For the first time, I'll skip a tour. The empty vacuum of the O2 has no guarantee of even the once great man attending himself. Indeed, if he does, dependant on mood, or whim, or behaviour of another he'll jump before the rush. 'A rush and a push and the land we stand on is........(y)ours'. And certainly within 90 minutes. Then there's the book. Ah yes, 'Autobiography' .P-p-pick up a Penguin or it won't arrive on your doorstep.Nonetheless, mostly a fine read but fact or fiction? Undoubtedly I'll now just purchase the albums and find the occasional comment of interest. I wish that you'd come back to me/us- but I fear that you have long since forgotten all about us Stephen. However, were you ever really obliged to be on the same journey as us? There is a light,but for me,it's now gone out.

Thirty one years ago and still at the foreskin of my mind, the jangling guitars, the vaseline mist and Morrissey contorting flowers and beads with angst-ridden face and lyrics on The Tube's first showing of 'This Charming Man'. Like the birth of a child,like looking into Lydon's teenage meaningful eyes, a life-changing moment. The Smiths live and finally we breathed the same venue air and a lifelong relationship developed and matured-and we grew together. For a regular Joe like me, The Smiths and then the solo Morrissey shaped my life- challenging and supportive at the same time. Although life was clearly world's apart- the messages in lyrics were not. This talented, genius lyricist from Manchester, Salford, Los Angeles meant so much as I lay on the bedroom floor. The excitement of a Smiths gig translated to the excitement of early Morrissey gigs. I recall all too well Wembley Arena and the sell out crowd gurgling from the circle and responding during Playboys.The World Would Listen! Mid-90s and the less packed Ipswich Regent (where I shouted out and he replied that I proudly have secured forever) and the even less packed Norwich UEA where I could stand more or less side-stage. Finsbury Park and Madstock anyone. Wembley Arena once more and Bowie and Morrissey followed by just Bowie. (You get nowhere unless bowing before Queen David?). Band changes, Croydon. Opening night at Nottingham Rock City and a return to form. But then...but then....a chance meeting with connections and 'would you like to meet him?'...'No,because I know I'd be let down'. 'He's on my radio show tomorrow,come in, make the teas for us,it won't be a problem'.....'Much as it's a lifetime ambition,I can't;it would undoubtedly shatter my opinion.....'

Too many gigs to mention. Thank you to the 'brave ones' at Drury Lane as by now, he traditionally scarpered. The man that used to write back to fans in The Smiths. Gigs in recent years in cold lifeless venues other than the MENA. Parental pride as I stand outside the Lads Club with my young son. Predictable albums with 2-3 decent tunes on each,diminishing humour getting gradually worser.....changing from wit and humour to constant wingeing. As I age, I am the same but have now decided, 31 years on that divorce is forced now. For the first time, I'll skip a tour. The empty vacuum of the O2 has no guarantee of even the once great man attending himself. Indeed, if he does, dependant on mood, or whim, or behaviour of another he'll jump before the rush. 'A rush and a push and the land we stand on is........(y)ours'. And certainly within 90 minutes. Then there's the book. Ah yes, 'Autobiography' .P-p-pick up a Penguin or it won't arrive on your doorstep.Nonetheless, mostly a fine read but fact or fiction? Undoubtedly I'll now just purchase the albums and find the occasional comment of interest. I wish that you'd come back to me/us- but I fear that you have long since forgotten all about us Stephen. However, were you ever really obliged to be on the same journey as us? There is a light,but for me,it's now gone out.

Perhaps try peppering it with a little homoerotic imagery next time. :lbf:

I just find it rather cheesy when people quote song lyrics like it's witty. :/

Back
Top Bottom