Gifts to Morrissey

Well, that explains it very well, even though I can't personally relate to it. Hard to say why I like Alan Bennett so much. I think he was one of the first writers that really connected with me, though, I think because of his ordinariness. He is northern (like me) and his observations on life and the human condition are told in this understated, parochial way that's also full of wit and cleverness. I liked that you could be brilliant and clever and funny, by being so ordinary. His books (in particular those about his life, like Untold Stories) are a treat, but he has also written many plays and screenplays: among them 'The Madness of King George', and 'The History Boys' (starring a very young Dominic Cooper and James Corden) - both are a triumph. He also wrote the screenplay for the more recent 'The Lady in the Van' starring Maggie Smith, based on the true story of an eccentric homeless woman who lived in a van on his driveway for 15 years. The house that is featured in the film is AB's actual house (or it was, I think he's now moved), and was the same one where he was Morrissey's neighbour in the 90s. Highly recommended - and the real AB puts in a fleeting appearance at the end.

Oh, and edited to say, he's one of the 'talking heads' in The Importance of Being Morrissey.

ah yes, I kept seeing that movie on Netflix, and it looked interesting but I have yet to watch it. ill have to take a look if it's still there.
well thanks for your great answer. I will have to pay more attention to this alan bennett person in the future.
was he the one in the documentary who didn't want to call Morrissey 'Morrissey'?

ah yes, I kept seeing that movie on Netflix, and it looked interesting but I have yet to watch it. ill have to take a look if it's still there.
well thanks for your great answer. I will have to pay more attention to this alan bennett person in the future.
was he the one in the documentary who didn't want to call Morrissey 'Morrissey'?
Yes, that's him! And he said, 'He's got an interesting face. He looks to have a story to tell'. Which I always thought was a great description of him.

'That witchy looking woman' :lbf: I assume you mean Julia? I just find it hard to understand why people want to give gifts they can't afford to someone who is so much richer than they are. I've never experienced that kind of fan worship. I mean, the only other person I can think of that I really, really worship is Alan Bennett, but I wouldn't buy him a candle. Or even a new bicycle pump (more of an Alan Bennett sort of gift). I did write him a letter, though, and he wrote a postcard back. Which seems to me a more balanced kind of relationship. Am I missing something?
think alan would love a box of tetleys tea bags,no frills like Ms choice of tea.

think alan would love a box of tetleys tea bags,no frills like Ms choice of tea.
Yes, I somehow can't see Alain travelling with his own poncey Parisian teapot :lbf: Have you ever given a gift to Morrissey, gordy? And if not, what would you like to give him?

Yes, I somehow can't see Alain travelling with his own poncey Parisian teapot :lbf: Have you ever given a gift to Morrissey, gordy? And if not, what would you like to give him?
I would give hime a signed photo of me so his mam can sit it on top of her tv and everytime she watches tv she would say that gordys a lovely boy.

I've given him various gifts over the years and he's always given me that cute "for me?" line. He even reached for a record once when I wasn't even holding it up. :D

Back
Top Bottom