Ganglord vs. The Never Play Symphonies - top b-side of the 21st century (final)

Ganglord vs. The Never Played Symphonies - top b-side of the 21st century (final).

• Total voters
Re: Ganglord vs. The Never Play Symphonies - top b-side of the 21st century (final).

"Ganglord" without even a question.
As for "Never-Played Symphonies", it's always struck me as too much like "These are the days of our lives" by Queen...

Re: Ganglord vs. The Never Play Symphonies - top b-side of the 21st century (final).

Love both.
Why was Never-Played only ever played once live? (a bit too slowly, I might add).

Ganglord , end of story!

Cheers Moz

The Never Played Symphonies is one of the most beautiful, haunting, well written songs of Morrissey's career. It encapsulates Morrissey so well. Music Melody/Vocal Melody and deep, relatable lyrics.

Ganglord is a cool song with a nice powerful driving melody but it certainly does not reach the levels of the aforementioned.

Love both.
Why was Never-Played only ever played once live? (a bit too slowly, I might add).

I believe it was played at least twice on the fall US leg and/or South American leg of the Quarry tour. Or perhaps I'm thinking of I'm Playing Easy To Get.

The Never Played Symphonies is one of the most beautiful, haunting, well written songs of Morrissey's career. It encapsulates Morrissey so well. Music Melody/Vocal Melody and deep, relatable lyrics.

Ganglord is a cool song with a nice powerful driving melody but it certainly does not reach the levels of the aforementioned.

I think your assessment is spot on. The one thing that could have improved The Never-Played Symphonies would have been a genuine string section.

My favorite B-Side from last years: My Dearest Love

Last edited:

"I Keep Mine Hidden" (Live, BBC Radio Theatre Feb 2009)

The Never Played Symphonies = 46%

Never Played isn't my favorite arrangement although I like it. I 'm a sucker for any time he takes a shot at the police-state, as in Ganglord. But my choice is My Dearest Love. Love the way that song crescendos. ba da ba ba!

I was never a fan of 'the Never Played Symphonies'; it always seemed to me a bit of a re-write (lyrically) of Betjeman's 'A Child I'll' which was used as walk on music during the 2002 tour. It's a nice song with a good sentiment though.
'Ganglord' is fantastic, however. But for me best b-side of the 21st century - 'Children in Pieces'. It mystifies me almost as much as I want to dance badly or embarrassingly rock out to it.

I do remember at the time not knowing the Quarry b-sides because I didn’t have the deluxe edition then and didn’t have any of the singles. A friend who I saw at the concert hipped me to the names of the songs I didn’t know (Symphonies and Don’t Make Fun Of Daddy’s Voice)

Ganglord and TNPS are so different. Not really a fair comparison. I can have both.

I hate The Never Played Symphonies. Ganglord is pretty great. I loved it in concert.
My Dearest Love, Because of My Poor Education, Shame Is The Name - all are great, and up there with ANYTHING he has done before.

Back
Top Bottom