GamesRadar+: X-Men #13 as a homage to Morrissey and the Smiths

the_kaz

I'm not sure if this is supposed to be some sort of joke:

"An annoying take that I have on this issue is that it's an extended reference to the Smiths song 'Shoplifters of the World Unite' and not just because of the small reference to the title. Hickman uses this entry to dig into Apocalypse's romantic history with Genesis, how Apocalypse fits into the greater narrative surrounding Arakko/Krakoa and why he's been on a 'survival of the fittest' tilt for the entire time we've known him. If you wanted to be really specific in your reading of that Smiths song, it lines up in a lot of ways."

It's always fun when two of my interest combine like this.

I haven't read the issue yet, but from the article it sounds like a bit of a stretch. I'll report back when I got round to reading it...

Zero tangible in the comic to do with the any of the 'review' assertions.
CBR if anyone's interested.
FWD.

Zero tangible in the comic to do with the any of the 'review' assertions.
CBR if anyone's interested.
FWD.

Agreed. The only reference is indeed in the title, and even that one is a bit "blink and you'll miss it" thanks to the unfortunate layout that all the X-books got when Hickman started his run last year.

Screenshot_20201024-223819_Chrome.jpg

As far as I can recall Hickman's never mentioned The Smiths or Morrissey in any of his comics (unlike some of his X-Men writing predecessors).

One of the latest Morrissey references in a Marvel book I caught was this one in Immortal Hulk #15 written by Al Ewing with art by Joe Bennett

20201024_223047.jpg

The review writer has more of a Morrissey link than the comic. I think they just used that reference to fill their own blanks.
Not everyone springs to Shoplifter's lyrics from the picture (especially as unity/unite is a X-Men recurring theme and term used).
Unfortunately, with 'ComicsGate' and the bilge that was 'Snowflake', 'Safespace' et al, I have been put off indulging my comic habit.
More an old school type myself.
Prefer a Sam Kieth to anything currently on offer.
Regards,
FWD.

I've been following especially Marvel comics since my early teens, it's a habit that's hard to abandon.

I don't really care about most of the publicity drama that's been going on in recent years, but the decline in quality in both writing and art is what puts me off most ongoings.

There's still the occasional gem but those series are often cancelled all too soon and the general re-launch policy is just a massive clusterf***.

Creator owned indie publications are generally more consistent and worth reading for more than just the nostalgia factor so that's where my money goes, while I still follow my main Marvel interests via other sources...

Hickmans original creations and adult oriented books are great

Hickmans original creations and adult oriented books are great
Yeah, East Of West for example is pretty great.

His lengthy runs on Fantastic Four and Avengers were, in my opinion, almost unreadable though and Secret Wars was one of the worst events I've ever read.
Not a fan of his work on X-Men so far either, I just don't like the way he sets up big changes, it's all too bloated and pompous for my taste.

Yeah, East Of West for example is pretty great.

His lengthy runs on Fantastic Four and Avengers were, in my opinion, almost unreadable though and Secret Wars was one of the worst events I've ever read.
Not a fan of his work on X-Men so far either, I just don't like the way he sets up big changes, it's all too bloated and pompous for my taste.

i agree though I’ve not looked at much of it. Millar was great at both writing established titles like the X-men and pet projects like nemesis. Hickman not so much. Manhattan projects was a lot lot of fun. Stuff like nightly news Pax romana red mass from Mars are all just fabulous.

i agree though I’ve not looked at much of it. Millar was great at both writing established titles like the X-men and pet projects like nemesis. Hickman not so much. Manhattan projects was a lot lot of fun. Stuff like nightly news Pax romana red mass from Mars are all just fabulous.
Hickman's Manhattan Projects was very good.

I wasn't a big fan of the Ultimate books in general but Millar's X-Men take was one that worked even for me (unlike Ultimates and Fantastic Four, which I both disliked).
Civil War was really good, too.

Another writer who's been writing consistently great stories both for Marvel (mostly X-Men, Thor and Star Wars) and indie is Kieron Gillen.
His Phonogram, Wicked + Divine and Die series are phenomenal.

The review writer has more of a Morrissey link than the comic. I think they just used that reference to fill their own blanks.
Not everyone springs to Shoplifter's lyrics from the picture (especially as unity/unite is a X-Men recurring theme and term used).
Unfortunately, with 'ComicsGate' and the bilge that was 'Snowflake', 'Safespace' et al, I have been put off indulging my comic habit.
More an old school type myself.
Prefer a Sam Kieth to anything currently on offer.
Regards,
FWD.
Well indeed. The original post is as tenuous as it gets. Have they not heard of Marx and Engels?

I've been following especially Marvel comics since my early teens, it's a habit that's hard to abandon.

I don't really care about most of the publicity drama that's been going on in recent years, but the decline in quality in both writing and art is what puts me off most ongoings.

There's still the occasional gem but those series are often cancelled all too soon and the general re-launch policy is just a massive clusterf***.

Creator owned indie publications are generally more consistent and worth reading for more than just the nostalgia factor so that's where my money goes, while I still follow my main Marvel interests via other sources...
The sad fact is that the Hollywood movies have largely killed the comics as a dominant creative artform. What used to be the driving force and entire reason for Marvel existing is now either an afterthought clinging to the coat tails of the movies, or at best a cheap testing ground for intellectual property that can be properly monetised by either the cinema or TV departments. The comics are an endless round of cancellations, reboots and relaunches. If it's not actually dead, then Marvel Comics is at best a soulless husk of what it used to be.

The sad fact is that the Hollywood movies have largely killed the comics as a dominant creative artform. What used to be the driving force and entire reason for Marvel existing is now either an afterthought clinging to the coat tails of the movies, or at best a cheap testing ground for intellectual property that can be properly monetised by either the cinema or TV departments. The comics are an endless round of cancellations, reboots and relaunches. If it's not actually dead, then Marvel Comics is at best a soulless husk of what it used to be.
The films are certainly a big part of the problem but the mess started even before.

The sheer mass of publications is deterring and makes it very hard to find the few ongoings that are still worth reading (before they inevitably get cancelled.)
Very rarely does an outstanding series attract the attention it deserves.

I used to be a massive Marvel and DC fanboy, but around a decade ago I became fatigued by all the "events" and gimmicks, and so I just gave up. I still read comics (mainly indies, like Monstress and Black Science), so every once in a while I take a look at what the Big Two are up to, but it just looks like more of the same. And even I, as someone who knows these characters inside out and has read their exploits for most of my life, feel confused and overwhelmed when I try making heads or tails out of the multiple series and relaunches. Giving up the habit must be one of the most sensible decisions I've ever made.

I used to be a massive Marvel and DC fanboy, but around a decade ago I became fatigued by all the "events" and gimmicks, and so I just gave up. I still read comics (mainly indies, like Monstress and Black Science), so every once in a while I take a look at what the Big Two are up to, but it just looks like more of the same. And even I, as someone who knows these characters inside out and has read their exploits for most of my life, feel confused and overwhelmed when I try making heads or tails out of the multiple series and relaunches. Giving up the habit must be one of the most sensible decisions I've ever made.
Same. I also just grew into the vertigo universe. For anyone who’s ever seen the horrible show the graphic novel is amazing and absolutely nothing like the it. Black science is great. There’s a lot of good stuff out there. Chaykins comics make me think of Hickman a lot. Flagg satellite Sam and black kiss

Same. I also just grew into the vertigo universe. For anyone who’s ever seen the horrible show the graphic novel is amazing and absolutely nothing like the it. Black science is great. There’s a lot of good stuff out there. Chaykins comics make me think of Hickman a lot. Flagg satellite Sam and black kiss
Which show? Constantine?

Constantine is one of my favourite comic book characters of all time and Hellblazer, Alan Moore's run on Swamp Thing and also Sandman are all untouchable classics.

So like me to leave out the titles name. Lucifer was what I was gonna say. The book is the inheritor of sandman and incredible. The show not so much but it’s really almost unrelated to the book. He’llblazer is great depending on who’s writing. Moore and ennis set a high standard and ironically Carey who wrote Lucifer was very meh with his run of hellblazer. Swamp thing is great to. I remember trying to read it as a young kid and just being really confused at the age of seven. Brubaker writes some good stuff as well

Back
Top Bottom