End of tour statement by Mozzer

You sound jealous. Don't be. You're clearly the better talent. :rofl:

Looks like I have a new secret admirer. Gonna follow me around the internet like all the others, huh boy, huh?

I thought YOU played a pretty talented part in this video..y'know, as the dirty, pedophilic dog-catcher.
Honestly, I'm so used to this by now, there's really nothing new you can say to me that I haven't heard from EVERYONE else on here. :rolleyes:

Last edited by a moderator:
Re-reading the statement, to me it seems clear that he has virtually given up the prospect of recording a new album. I can't believe an artist of his stature is in this situation. I bet there's loads of other factors we are not aware of.

Re-reading the statement, to me it seems clear that he has virtually given up the prospect of recording a new album. I can't believe an artist of his stature is in this situation. I bet there's loads of other factors we are not aware of.

Yes like his ongoing management issues, disputes with labels, lack of sales for 23 volumes of greatest hits, average musicians performing average music, lyrical ineptitude etc etc.

Yes like his ongoing management issues, disputes with labels, lack of sales for 23 volumes of greatest hits, average musicians performing average music, lyrical ineptitude etc etc.
Well Bluebirds, I think his material and band are still pretty good but thats a matter of taste I guess.

It's pretty simple really, Peter B.
Look at the (UK) sales for his last three albums.
YATQ - 400,000
ROTT - 200,000
YOR - 85,000

In Morrissey's head, he has the status of someone who can shift half a million copies of a studio album.
In a record-company director's head, it's possible that Morrissey's next album may only sell 50,000 (if the trajectory continues). So Morrissey can only currently attract offers similar to bands that sell 50,000-100,000 but he feels that his status deserves much more, and that record companies themselves are to blame (not him + band) for the post-Quarry decline. Simple stuff, really.

Hopefully Johnny goes over and knocks on his door once again.

It's pretty simple really, Peter B.
Look at the (UK) sales for his last three albums.
YATQ - 400,000
ROTT - 200,000
YOR - 85,000

In Morrissey's head, he has the status of someone who can shift half a million copies of a studio album.
In a record-company director's head, it's possible that Morrissey's next album may only sell 50,000 (if the trajectory continues). So Morrissey can only currently attract offers similar to bands that sell 50,000-100,000 but he feels that his status deserves much more, and that record companies themselves are to blame (not him + band) for the post-Quarry decline. Simpl1e stuff, really.
I guess you have a point. Sigh!

All the posts here and on the main page about Morrissey not needing a traditional record deal and going DIY are hard to argue with. His ideals haven't changed over time while the industry has...irrevocably.

But to use a film analogy -- while young filmmakers probably aspire to a million hits on Youtube, a lot of directors' dream of their movie playing at a cinema, with a poster, a marquee and a ticket booth and people lining up to see it. Morrissey is the music equivalent of that. He will not change and he will not be nice...

All the posts here and on the main page about Morrissey not needing a traditional record deal and going DIY are hard to argue with. His ideals haven't changed over time while the industry has...irrevocably.

But to use a film analogy -- while young filmmakers probably aspire to a million hits on Youtube, a lot of directors' dream of their movie playing at a cinema, with a poster, a marquee and a ticket booth and people lining up to see it. Morrissey is the music equivalent of that. He will not change and he will not be nice...

Aren't you talking about people who videotape their pets or kids hoping to capture something funny? There are movie directors who aspire to a viral video on YouTube?

Even if we assumed that's the case, it's not a good comparison. If I download an album off ITunes, it sounds exactly the same as if I bought it on CD.

Aside from all the home video junk on Youtube, many truly aspiring directors post films on both Youtube and Vimeo. You can upload feature length films now and in full HD (much better than DVD quality). Where have you been?
Nonetheless, there are those that want that old school release with a team of people working to make it happen. Morrissey is exactly the same, for better or for worse.

Aren't you talking about people who videotape their pets or kids hoping to capture something funny? There are movie directors who aspire to a viral video on YouTube?

Even if we assumed that's the case, it's not a good comparison. If I download an album off ITunes, it sounds exactly the same as if I bought it on CD.

There is a middle ground between the musical equivalent of You Tube (or a complete DIY effort) and the big 4-5 major labels.

There are dozens of established, respectable indie labels in the US and internationally that could do a fantastic job in producing and distributing a new Morrissey album. He'd probably even make more money going this route. For example, I'm sure Yep-Roc (US home of John Doe, Nick Lowe, Robyn Hitchcock, Gang of Four, Madness, Rev. Horton Heat, to name just a few) would be pleased to work with Morrissey.

Back
Top Bottom