Elvis Presley's 80th birthday

Gregor Samsa

I straighten up, and my position is one of hope.
Couldn't find a good enough Elvis thread to bump, so I'll start a new one.

Today's Elvis' 80th birthday. Are we celebrating? I hope you do.

What would be a fitting celebration?

That's up to you! Whatever seems fitting. I for one wouldn't mind lots of loud music and a bottle of wine, if I didn't have work tomorrow...

just played the 68 comeback, while I made the tea, had two bottles of san miguel to toast him. cheers.

his very first acetate sold at graceland for $300,000 TODAY. there was 20 bids!!!
http://auction.graceland.com/Category/Records-9.html

'Likely the most important 78 mm record ever offered, this acetate was recorded by Elvis in 1953, possibly as a gift for his mother Gladys. Elvis walked into Sam Phillips’ Memphis Recording Service (home of Sun Records) and paid the sum of $4 to record a belated birthday gift for his mother — his first ever recording. Elvis sang two songs: “My Happiness” (Side A), which is the only Elvis recording that exists of this song, and “That’s When Your Heartaches Begin” (Side B). Legend has it that Elvis’ friend Ed Leek convinced and accompanied Elvis to the recording studio that fateful day. Elvis was greeted by Marion Keisker, assistant to Sam Philips, who asked Elvis who he sounded like and Elvis responded, “I don’t sound like nobody.” Little did she know at the time that he was absolutely right. In these two songs that Elvis chose to sing, Marion heard something different, enough to note Elvis’ name and telephone number and add that he was a good ballad singer. When Elvis left the studio that day, he and Ed stopped at Ed’s parents’ house to listen to the fresh recording, as they had a modern phonograph and Elvis wanted to hear how it sounded. Elvis left his friend’s house that day without the record and this acetate is being offered directly from a descendant of Ed Leek. The acetate has a label containing the titles of each song typed on the reverse of a Sun Record label. This historical 78 acetate was the beginning of a revolution in the music industry and the start of an iconic legend. In private hands since it was created, Elvis’ first recording documents the start of a musical sensation and is being offered for the first time since Elvis walked into that studio over 60 years ago'

Last edited:
Great to read these replies!

Been playing Elvis non stop since Thursday.

His 70's output is ridiculously underrated and overlooked. So much pathos, emotion and sincerity in the material from those years.

I listen to Elvis at least once a week, have done since I was about 10.

Great to read these replies!

Been playing Elvis non stop since Thursday.

His 70's output is ridiculously underrated and overlooked. So much pathos, emotion and sincerity in the material from those years.

Rockabilly, I love. Elvis lives! On my stereo.

I just recently bought fresh copies of the soundtracks to "King Creole" and "Roustabout". He was the King.

Rockabilly, I love. Elvis lives! On my stereo.

I just recently bought fresh copies of the soundtracks to "King Creole" and "Roustabout". He was the King.

See, I knew you were alright. I called it!

King Creole is his best soundtrack. As Long As I Have You!

Yes! He was the KING! Yes ma'am.

Elvis and Dean, good looking guys.

Cheers for that, hadn't heard that one before.

Now, name your five favourite Elvis songs from each decade (50's-70's)!

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers for that, hadn't heard that one before.

Now, name your five favourite Elvis songs from each decade (50's-70's)!

LOL, can't do it, sorry. But how about this:

50's....Be-Bop-ALula

60's.....Oh, Pretty Woman

70's.....Jungleland

Not El, but he definitely influenced these guys.

Last edited:
LOL, can't do it, sorry. But how about this:

50's....Be-Bop-ALula

60's.....Oh, Pretty Woman

70's.....Jungleland

Not El, but he definitely influenced these guys.
Definitely. I adore Jungleland. Masterpiece.

Definitely. I adore Jungleland. Masterpiece.
"Outside the street's on fire
In a real death waltz
Between what's flesh and what's fantasy
And the poets down here
Don't write nothing at all
They just stand back and let it all be"

I love the poetry and the sound of good rock music. Elvis led the way.

BTW, don't let the negative posts here get to you. I used to get angry about it too. Those people are by and large sensitive, frustrated people that want to be heard. Sometimes they get too wrapped up in their pain to hear anyone else. Morrissey does that too.

I think Davidt does a good job overall. There is not another site like this. Interesting creatures prowl around here and you've gotta "Follow that Dream". "Nothing's Gonna Change My World" I know what's good and so do you. "You've Gotta Fight for your Right to Party" and "Let's Party Like It's 1999".:guitar:

Last edited:
"Outside the street's on fire
In a real death waltz
Between what's flesh and what's fantasy
And the poets down here
Don't write nothing at all
They just stand back and let it all be"

I love the poetry and the sound of good rock music. Elvis led the way.

BTW, don't let the negative posts here get to you. I used to get angry about it too. Those people are by and large sensitive, frustrated people that want to be heard. Sometimes they get too wrapped up in their pain to hear anyone else. Morrissey does that too.

I think Davidt does a good job overall. There is not another site like this. Interesting creatures prowl around here and you've gotta "Follow that Dream". "Nothing's Gonna Change My World" I know what's good and so do you. "You've Gotta Fight for your Right to Party" and "Let's Party Like It's 1999".:guitar:

They wind up wounded, not even dead.

Elvis sure led the way. Kicked open every door possible.

Yeah, I hear what you're saying. I agree, for the most part. News wise this site is untouchable, but more often than not it feels like a cess pool. But all kinds of people come here, which I guess makes it interesting.

He had an amazing voice. But we should remember the real blues musicians who's records he covered to get his hits in the early days.

The 68 comeback special is amazing.

Back
Top Bottom