Elvis / Morrissey appreciation thread by Eric & TTC

Elvis Costello's comments are certainly premature and shortsighted in not conceiving that Elvis Presley could sing Morrissey/Smiths songs. The talent and potential alone is a given and was still seen in the last years of his life. There is no telling in Presley and no need to defend the man, obviously, heh-heh. He more than earned it. No demonstration required as we find here as Elvis 'bleeds' Morrissey in this song:

-- Eric

Then there's these two. These two songs can be thrown around with a few other Elvis and Morrissey songs in the mix just as well. But, otherwise, there is not much more beyond what has already been written. Aside the Scottish roots of Elvis and the Irish roots of Morrissey, and both sporting their 'quiff' back in their day; there really is not that much more than what has already been said, Helen Shapiro fan. In fact, there are many others who also emulate the 'persona,' if you will, but not to the extent that these two have and why I provided this little tribute between the two. The former and the latter as the torch was passed in ironic contrast, but familiar just the same, in the latter's tribute to the former perhaps. Certainly, the role lives on as they are both icons and institutions in their own right in the music industry.

As Pablo Honey had pointed out in the excerpt she provided, in the case of Morrissey (because he can), "...Morrissey is his art." Elvis did not exactly have the creative liberties or artistic license to do so back in his day like today (and a good thing). But he still broke a whole lot of taboos as rock 'n roll was born (for the most part). 'Rebels of contrast' but still rebels nevertheless. I will only post a couple of others, Helen Shapiro fan. So, until then.

Morrissey

Elvis

-- Eric

Yes, the overly familiar 'It's Now or Never' by Elvis is posted here, but it does complement Morrissey's 'My Love Life' as the two show strong emotion in these songs and particularly strong vocals. It is this familiarity that bind the two together. I will post a couple of more and a final repeat topic link for you, Helen Shapiro fan, and then that shall be it. By the way, in the previous post, Morrissey's singing the phrase, '...and all of those who sing on key, they stole the notion from you and me' from 'Sing Your Life' is striking. I find the similarity interesting. It is reminiscent of Elvis singing '...and when we're dancing, it almost feels the same' from his song, 'She's Not You.' Just a note to pass on that you might find interesting. Well, a higher note to be sure anyway, heh-heh, and it is exactly what you hear during that creative wordplay -- a noticeably higher note. Again, it is the way they both sing that is so similar to the other. Hmm, interesting. Perhaps the clue is on cue, heh-heh. :)

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

Not one of the better selections but these two play well on each other. Haha.

Morrissey

Elvis

-- Eric

Finally, I will put here what I just call 'train songs.' Like Depeche Mode's 'Flexible' as an example. Those kind of songs that just provide that 'train station' atmosphere in its sound for lack of a better description. Nothing more and nothing less really. I am certain there are quite a number of these kind of songs throughout the music industry which would be an interesting research topic in itself, by the way. Siouxsie and the Banshees have one. Here, I would have liked to have put 'Mystery Train' by Elvis but am going for something not so apparent or obvious. Besides, I think the alternate Elvis selection would be more appropriate for the obvious Smiths choice of song here that will not surprise anyone, of course.

Elvis

The Smiths

-- Eric

Finally for Helen Shapiro fan,

I am going to resend this worship song to you for encouragement and as a reminder that we are just 'Pilgrims' passing through. Right? Stay encouraged so that you can say, "I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith..." (2 Timothy 4:7-8, KJV).

Here is something else that will keep you further encouraged and provide hope to those around you:
"When God came to earth, He came to the least, and the lowest, and the last, and the lost."
(Jess, 'The Perfect Gift,' 2009)

You take care now and the Lord bless you and keep you.

Yours in Christ,
Eric (from El Paso, Texas)

Please do keep on posting about the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons! I'm interested in this.

For you "An Evening with Helen Shapiro":

Helen Shapiro Fan, wherever you are. I will post a few more Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons with brief comparative information (as their differences far outweigh their similarities) but only as far as it takes me, since what is written on the topic is past tense, obviously. But before I go, more importantly, I do want to post this for you. I especially hope that you listen to this Dallas Holm classic, "Here You Are," posted below. What you hear here is a brief testimonial and 'acoustic version' of the song. But I do recommend you hear the original version of the song as it was played back in the day. Otherwise, I recommend viewing both at your leisure. I also provided one other song, "Rise Again," that I hope will bring encouragement to you. It is a very powerful song and speaks far more than what one can find anywhere for everything it is worth:

The Story Behind the Song -- a brief testimonial and acoustic version of "Here We Are":

The original version of "Here We Are":

The powerful song, "Rise Again":

It is unfortunate "An Evening With Helen Shapiro" is blocked here but I give you Dallas Holm in return. You take care of yourself now and the Lord bless.

-- Eric

Hi Eric, I love your posts on here so much! I hope that you are still able to post on here. I'm sorry that the Helen Shapiro video doesn't work for you in America. I hope that some of her other YouTube videos work for you?

Do you understand who Uncle Skinny is yet on here? He is a registered member on here. Have you been able to check out any of his posts yet?

"Surface" is another poster on here who Vegan Cro Spirit was talking about. Surface is also a registered member on here. I was thinking that maybe Vegan Cro Spirit thought that you were Uncle Skinny or Surface? Vegan Co Spirit also talks about what he calls the "Skinny sock puppets" on here. I'm not totally sure what sock puppets are though. From what I understand Uncle Skinny is the main leader but he has quite a few followers. They don't seem to like Vegan Cro Spirit. Vegan Cro Spirit is actually a really dedicated Morrissey fan.

By the way I love America's Deep South so much. Texas isn't too far from that part of America. It is a great part of the world.

God bless you.

Hi Eric,

Please do keep on posting about the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons! I'm interested in this.

Hello there Helen Shapiro fan (as this is the only way I can address you)...

Like I had done so here, I should have edited all the other posts prior to posting them. There was just too much confusion regarding the 'whom' it was originally addressed. To you for the most part and, though intended for you, I had also addressed someone else. The outcome was muddled in responding to more than one 'whom' within the same post. This resulted in a little more than the 'either here or there thread' dilemma, of course. This also placed you in a rather awkward position (placing you in the line of unnecessary fire!) by not responding to you separately and directly. Sorry for the confusion. Like someone stated in a previous response to one of my posts, it is "...the curse of being here as an anon." I'm still learning my way around here. Either way, I am sure you read between all the lines regarding the other whom. I was hoping I replied to some of your comments for you in those posts otherwise to some degree. In the future though, I will not be as descriptive as I had been before for security reasons. I touched on a few personal issues and topics then but feel free to continue the discussion though. I have not been offended nor am I offended. I am fine. Even so, we don't have to agree with everything or every single issue, and feel free to disagree even if it means bringing up the difficult issues if one arises. Even then we can still agree to disagree.

By the way, I did not realize this Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons topic had already been touched on some 20, 14 and 9 years ago respectively, would you believe, when checking the archives here. The subject did not last very long but was still touched on nevertheless. On a funny note regarding one obvious comparison between the two is their 'photograph portfolios' for lack of a better illustration. Back in their day, in their prime if you want to call it that, all the photographs ever taken between these two alone would bankrupt the model advertising agencies. There would not be a single space lacking anywhere with either one of these two providing a photo or two of themselves. Heh-heh. These two crooners are certainly 'rebels of contrast' in their own personal way (i.e., politically/socially, et. al.) but very charismatic and photogenic rebels nevertheless, haha. This is unique in itself. By the way, I don't know how much longer I will be on this Elvis-Morrissey topic but I will probably post several more songs between the two as they would follow the other in my personal collection with, of course, some personal thoughts of mine as they relate but nothing beyond that really. Nothing deep. Until then, you take care.

But first, I put these two songs:

Elvis

The Smiths

I feel these two are relatable in the sense that, aside from their tempo and extension of play, these two songs are similar. Yes, it is not an exact science, but there is an underlying 'pathos' that can only be found between these two songs in my opinion, outside Bob Dylan's contribution to the Elvis process, with the one song more melancholy than the other in The Smiths, of course.

-- Eric

Hi Eric, Are you still posting on here? I love that song "Tomorrow is a Long Time" Elvis Presley sings it so good. Elvis Presley sings everything so good he is one of the greatest singers of all time! Elvis Presley could sing absolutely anything and make it sound amazing and really special.

The great Bob Dylan wrote "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" he also has a great version of the song of his own. The singer Odetta also has a great version of "Tomorrow Is a Long Time". Do you like the singer Odetta? That song "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" is like a gospel/blues mix there is an aching and longing in that song. It also reminds me a bit of America's Deep South.

What could be nicer than talking about Elvis Presley and Morrissey two total legends!

I hope you like this Elvis Presley song "So Close, Yet So Far (From Paradise)". This song has recently been playing a lot on a TV advert here:

Morrissey - "You'll Be Gone" (Elvis Presley Cover):

Elvis Presley original version of "You'll Be Gone":

One of my favourite Elvis Presley songs is his version of "Hurt". I would love it if Morrissey did a cover version of "Hurt".

One of Morrissey's favourite female singers Timi Yuro does a great version of "Hurt".

That song "Hurt" took on a new meaning when Elvis's beloved wife Priscilla left him.

I love all of Elvis Presley's music. I love his gospel songs maybe the most of all! Elvis sang in the white Southern style of gospel singing like the male quartet harmony groups.

I love Elvis Presley singing "It's Midnight", "There's Always Me" (which was on another TV advert here) and "(Marie's the name) His Latest Flame". Morrissey did a cover version of "(Marie's the name) His Latest Flame".

I have a lot of anxiety but when I listen to Elvis Presley the anxiety vanishes especially when I listen to his ballads and gospel songs. Like his singing soothes all of my troubles away just for a moment if that makes sense.

I sometimes listen to the same song over and over again.

It is a total tragic loss to the world that Elvis Presley died so young at 42.

It is so wonderful to have a Christian brother on here! You don't get that many truly born-again, Bible-believing Christian on here.

May the Lord God bless you real good.

Last edited:
Hi Eric, I love your posts on here so much! I hope that you are still able to post on here. I'm sorry that the Helen Shapiro video doesn't work for you in America. I hope that some of her other YouTube videos work for you?

Do you understand who Uncle Skinny is yet on here? He is a registered member on here. Have you been able to check out any of his posts yet?

"Surface" is another poster on here who Vegan Cro Spirit was talking about. Surface is also a registered member on here. I was thinking that maybe Vegan Cro Spirit thought that you were Uncle Skinny or Surface? Vegan Co Spirit also talks about what he calls the "Skinny sock puppets" on here. I'm not totally sure what sock puppets are though. From what I understand Uncle Skinny is the main leader but he has quite a few followers. They don't seem to like Vegan Cro Spirit. Vegan Cro Spirit is actually a really dedicated Morrissey fan.

By the way I love America's Deep South so much. Texas isn't too far from that part of America. It is a great part of the world.

God bless you.
Hi there. Oh, yes, I can post. No problem. It is just that I had not originally planned on staying here too long or getting too involved in the posts really. Particularly 'other' posts that are outside this topic, but I had a detour and am glad it was a short one. Heh-heh. I guess I can stay a little longer. I certainly have no problem finding Helen Shapiro's music on You Tube as there is plenty around but finding her 'Christian' music will take some effort. But I will continue to keep looking for that information on the Internet (or where I can find it) as it relates to her coming to the Lord as a Messianic believer. That is, her testimony, music, etc. I would be interested in reading and hearing all that.

As for 'vegan cro'...I had checked his history here and did not realize the extent of his activity. I was just puzzled when I get this 'bam out of nowhere message' from a 'vegan cro spirit' something or other. Haha. I have no problems with this but I really didn't understand why he thought I was Skinny or Surface or any of those 'sock puppets' you had pointed out to me. I was not aware of the history behind the response or any of it. Especially as one coming on the boards as a 'newbie.' I thought, ahhh, this is one of those initiation deals because a rookie just got on board or something like that. Haha. I found myself asking myself: Did I fit a profile? Was it the way I write or what I had written, what I say or said, or didn't say or said for that matter, etc. The funny thing is getting that :crazy:emoji at the end of the 'vegan' posts that leaves one with the feeling he might be right and you begin to believe it. Haha. But, of course, I know better. I have no problem, believe me. I have had my fill and share years ago elsewhere, with an individual named 'Shakesfear,' back in the heyday. Who knows how long that lasted. Whatever the case...what it is or is not, it is kind of funny getting hit with a diversion that way though, heh-heh. When you least expect it, that is. It throws you off guard, of course, at the least of it, and all you can do is wait and take it from there.

Yes, Texas is not too far from the Deep South. In fact, Texas usually falls in the category of the West, South or Southwest because of its size alone. It is a large state (though not as large as Alaska, of course, haha). It is actually kind of funny because I live as far west in Texas you can get. In fact, El Paso county alone is the only county in Texas that is Mountain Standard Time whereas the rest of Texas is Central Standard Time. El Paso itself is in West Texas and, technically, part of the Southwest region of states (i.e., New Mexico and Arizona) and not the South. So, it is interesting. In fact, just a few days ago we were above average in temperature as we were still hitting the 100 plus degree mark. This is common in the summer here but not this close to September though. The weather has been bizarre all over the world, really, and just the general sign of the times.

In any case, I will stay for a while and post more Elvis-Morrissey You Tube song links as they relate to the other, for the most part. The next several ones I will post will be a series of soft songs. They are nice for reflection and relaxation. I find that they just put the mind at ease. Wow, I wrote a letter here. Well, I will go and post a couple of the new series of soft songs by the two. :) Until then, you take care now and God bless.

-- Eric

The first in a series of 'soft and slow' Elvis-Morrissey tracks.

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

Hi Eric, Are you still posting on here? I love that song "Tomorrow is a Long Time" Elvis Presley sings it so good. Elvis Presley sings everything so good he is one of the greatest singers of all time! Elvis Presley could sing absolutely anything and make it sound amazing and really special.

The great Bob Dylan wrote "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" he also has a great version of the song of his own. The singer Odetta also has a great version of "Tomorrow Is a Long Time". Do you like the singer Odetta? That song "Tomorrow Is a Long Time" is like a gospel/blues mix there is an aching and longing in that song. It also reminds me a bit of America's Deep South.

What could be nicer than talking about Elvis Presley and Morrissey two total legends!

I hope you like this Elvis Presley song "So Close, Yet So Far (From Paradise)". This song has recently been playing a lot on a TV advert here:

Morrissey - "You'll Be Gone" (Elvis Presley Cover):

Elvis Presley original version of "You'll Be Gone":

One of my favourite Elvis Presley songs is his version of "Hurt". I would love it if Morrissey did a cover version of "Hurt".

One of Morrissey's favourite female singers Timi Yuro does a great version of "Hurt".

That song "Hurt" took on a new meaning when Elvis's beloved wife Priscilla left him.

I love all of Elvis Presley's music. I love his gospel songs maybe the most of all! Elvis sang in the white Southern style of gospel singing like the male quartet harmony groups.

I love Elvis Presley singing "It's Midnight", "There's Always Me" (which was on another TV advert here) and "(Marie's the name) His Latest Flame". Morrissey did a cover version of "(Marie's the name) His Latest Flame".

I have a lot of anxiety but when I listen to Elvis Presley the anxiety vanishes especially when I listen to his ballads and gospel songs. Like his singing soothes all of my troubles away just for a moment if that makes sense.

I sometimes listen to the same song over and over again.

It is a total tragic loss to the world that Elvis Presley died so young at 42.

It is so wonderful to have a Christian brother on here! You don't get that many truly born-again, Bible-believing Christian on here.

May the Lord God bless you real good.
Hi there, Tom Tom Club.

Yes, I have decided to stay for a while and am still posting. By the way, is that Tom Tom Club as in former 'Talking Heads' Tom Tom Club? Yes, 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' is a great song. Of course, with the help of the pen from legend Bob Dylan. This version by Elvis hits home really. Oh, and, yes, I agree...I believe Elvis could sing anything. There is a power and versatility in his voice that could make a hit out of any song really. He truly is one of a kind with the kind of depth and range you find in his voice. I could easily see him belting away those strong lungs of his in Opera with ease. Haha. He just has a powerful and versatile vocal range that just translates 'smooth' in the transition. God certainly blessed him with his singing ability, to be sure.

No, I have not heard of Odetta but I will check her out. There are a whole host of female singers that fall in the category of the female version of Elvis, if you will, that draw my attention, too. Sometimes it is just that voice that gets my attention, for the most part, I should say. There are so many of them. I do love hearing Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." Hearing it today still gives me a sense of 'wow.' When I think of other female singers I will certainly mention them to you as they come to me. By the way, thank you for the 'So Close, Yet So Far' video. Oh, I liked it. What can I say, it's Elvis. Haha. It is nice to know that Elvis is being introduced to a new generation by playing his music on television that way. Like much music in the past, there is a tendency for the 'classics' to fall through the cracks without anybody really noticing. As time moves on and moves forward, people have a tendency to forget those things behind them. In this case, the classics. So, this is good.

Thank you for the 'You'll Be Gone' selections. Now, how does it get any better than Morrissey actually singing a literal Elvis number? I wish there were more. It's funny...but several months ago I played both the Elvis and Morrissey You Tube links of 'You'll Be Gone' (like the ones you provided here)...but at the same time. I had approximated both singers as close as possible (in sync) and I have to admit -- Morrissey is on par with Elvis in this one. Sometimes Elvis' voice overpowers here and there a tad, obviously...but Morrissey is right on target most of the way as he sounds just like Elvis because he is singing in perfect unison with him. Impressive indeed. It was the closest you can get to hearing both on stage singing a duet, haha. Especially knowing Elvis is no longer with us and yet here it is...technology, huh?

Yes, I agree. Along the same line of 'You'll Be Gone,' it would be nice to hear Morrissey cover, 'Hurt.' I can only imagine the true 'hurt' Elvis was feeling at the time and it does show. The emotions are fresh and 'raw' as they say. Times like these usually brings out the best in individuals from situations that are usually not so favorable. Unfortunately, the best of songs usually come from the worst of situations, too. However, Elvis did find a way to rise above his circumstances, all things considered, at the time by God's grace.

Hey, I just noticed that it is getting very late here and I have to go. But I will get back with you on the rest. I did not realize how late it is. So, until then, you take care of yourself now and God bless.

-- Eric

More on the sad side but great songs and a couple of my favorite slow songs by Elvis and Morrissey (post-Smiths, that is) in a sea of many. :) Ah well. Songs certainly for deep thought and reflection that still manages to ease the mind, I say, either way.

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

More good ones here. The Morrissey selection is not exactly soft, per se, but still finds itself in this category:

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

I could have easily coupled Morrissey's 'Lost' with this Elvis selection just the same, even if they are distant in their individual ways for the most part. But, that is the point and why I chose this Elvis selection. For the Morrissey selection, in this instance, I like hearing these two back to back, musically. It still applies, too. Even more so. Elvis, on the other hand, what can I say with a song as powerful as this one. Not Dallas Holm to be sure, but still within reach of the Gospel, to be sure. :) It is indeed closer to home...and the point indeed.

Morrissey

Elvis

-- Eric

I didn't use the 'Swords' cover in the previous selection but a missed opportunity is never lost. :) I like the following selections as they are heartfelt songs.

The Smiths

Elvis

-- Eric

The Elvis selection has a gospel feel and sound to it but, lyrically, is closer to Morrissey's selection (via The Smiths) and not gospel. But it does have a bit more optimism as only Elvis can sing it, of course. :)

The Smiths

Elvis

-- Eric

Hi there, Tom Tom Club.

Yes, I have decided to stay for a while and am still posting. By the way, is that Tom Tom Club as in former 'Talking Heads' Tom Tom Club? Yes, 'Tomorrow Is A Long Time' is a great song. Of course, with the help of the pen from legend Bob Dylan. This version by Elvis hits home really. Oh, and, yes, I agree...I believe Elvis could sing anything. There is a power and versatility in his voice that could make a hit out of any song really. He truly is one of a kind with the kind of depth and range you find in his voice. I could easily see him belting away those strong lungs of his in Opera with ease. Haha. He just has a powerful and versatile vocal range that just translates 'smooth' in the transition. God certainly blessed him with his singing ability, to be sure.

No, I have not heard of Odetta but I will check her out. There are a whole host of female singers that fall in the category of the female version of Elvis, if you will, that draw my attention, too. Sometimes it is just that voice that gets my attention, for the most part, I should say. There are so many of them. I do love hearing Roberta Flack's "The First Time Ever I Saw Your Face." Hearing it today still gives me a sense of 'wow.' When I think of other female singers I will certainly mention them to you as they come to me. By the way, thank you for the 'So Close, Yet So Far' video. Oh, I liked it. What can I say, it's Elvis. Haha. It is nice to know that Elvis is being introduced to a new generation by playing his music on television that way. Like much music in the past, there is a tendency for the 'classics' to fall through the cracks without anybody really noticing. As time moves on and moves forward, people have a tendency to forget those things behind them. In this case, the classics. So, this is good.

Thank you for the 'You'll Be Gone' selections. Now, how does it get any better than Morrissey actually singing a literal Elvis number? I wish there were more. It's funny...but several months ago I played both the Elvis and Morrissey You Tube links of 'You'll Be Gone' (like the ones you provided here)...but at the same time. I had approximated both singers as close as possible (in sync) and I have to admit -- Morrissey is on par with Elvis in this one. Sometimes Elvis' voice overpowers here and there a tad, obviously...but Morrissey is right on target most of the way as he sounds just like Elvis because he is singing in perfect unison with him. Impressive indeed. It was the closest you can get to hearing both on stage singing a duet, haha. Especially knowing Elvis is no longer with us and yet here it is...technology, huh?

Yes, I agree. Along the same line of 'You'll Be Gone,' it would be nice to hear Morrissey cover, 'Hurt.' I can only imagine the true 'hurt' Elvis was feeling at the time and it does show. The emotions are fresh and 'raw' as they say. Times like these usually brings out the best in individuals from situations that are usually not so favorable. Unfortunately, the best of songs usually come from the worst of situations, too. However, Elvis did find a way to rise above his circumstances, all things considered, at the time by God's grace.

Hey, I just noticed that it is getting very late here and I have to go. But I will get back with you on the rest. I did not realize how late it is. So, until then, you take care of yourself now and God bless.

-- Eric
Hi Eric, This is Odetta (Holmes) - cover version of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time":

Elvis Presley singing live "It's Midnight" he says "listen Cilla" about his wife Priscilla who had left him by this point and she was at this show- it is heartbreaking:

I don't know how many Elvis Presley songs Morrissey has recorded? I know that Morrissey sang "(Marie's The Name Of) His Latest Flame" in the early days, this is a great song. Morrissey sang "You'll Be Gone" this was actually co-written by Elvis Presley, with his bodyguard Red West and friend Charlie Hodge. The other song that Elvis Presley composed was "That's Someone You Never Forget" in 1961 with Red West, which was on the Pot Luck LP released in 1962. I heard that Elvis Presley had co-written about 10 songs but only two seem to be available?

Roberta Flack is a great singer. Timi Yuro is great as well she sadly died in 2004. Odetta (Holmes) sadly died in 2008.

I'm the Helen Shapiro fan! I like the gospel singer Mahalia Jackson who died back in 1972. Candi Staton is a good singer as well.

Do you like Nina Simone? Nina Simone died in 2003. I like a lot of singers both male and female.

This is one of Elvis' favorite male singers Roy Hamilton singing "Hurt":

Roy Hamilton died back in 1969 he was only 40. I heard that Elvis liked Patti Page who died in 2013 and Kay Starr who died in 2016.

Elvis liked gospel, blues and country music and that was what created rock 'n' roll his rockabilly music. I think that Elvis liked some slightly operatic music as well like Mario Lanza, some soul and harmony groups.

Sometimes I thought that Elvis Presley sounded a bit like Bing Crosby when he would sing ballads like the crooner stuff.

If you want to contact me privately please contact me here. I like 'Vegan Cro Spirit' they are a truly dedicated Morrissey fan. From what I understand "Cro" stands for Croatia.

Yes you are right 'Tom Tom Club' is to do with the New Wave American band by that name that came out of 'Talking Heads'. I'm not big into them I just thought that it sounded like a cool name. I don't know if Morrissey likes that sort of music? The 'tom-tom' is a type of drum and 'Tom' is a male name like Elvis Presley's manager Colonel Tom Parker.

I thought that the song "Hurt" is a song that Morrissey could sing really well. Poor Morrissey has had his fair share of hurt in his life and pain and trauma as well. Yes Elvis Presley was very 'hurt' by what Priscilla did to him she left him for another man and took his beloved only daughter Lisa Marie to live with her in LA when Elvis lived in Memphis most of the time. Priscilla also got a huge divorce settlement. I would say that Elvis was heartbroken and they say that you can die of a broken heart. I think all of this on top of the loss of his beloved mother and the financial problems after the divorce settlement and that horrible terrible trashy book that his former bodyguards brought out just before he died and the constant touring and concerts he had to do was just too much.

Elvis Presley was used and abused after he became famous by many different people. Before he was famous he was bullied at school. Elvis came from a very poor background which sounds really tough. I think things started to go wrong for him when he went into the army and his beloved mother died, he first met Priscilla when he was stationed in the army out in Germany. When his wife Priscilla left him that was the beginning of the end he seemed to be totally heartbroken. There is a lot of mystery surrounding Elvis' death there are a lot of conflicting stories. He had some health issues but some things don't totally add up. I guess only God knows the truth as to what happened. I wish that Elvis Presley was still alive it is really tragic.

It is good to have a brother in Christ on here! There doesn't seem to be that many born-again, Bible-believing Christians on here. I know that some people don't enjoy talking about religion, theology, philosophy and spiritual matters which is why I try to keep that talk to a minimum. Also this is a Morrissey fan site not a Christian forum. God bless.

Last edited:
Hi Eric, This is Odetta (Holmes) - cover version of "Tomorrow Is A Long Time":

Elvis Presley singing live "It's Midnight" he says "listen Cilla" about his wife Priscilla who had left him by this point and she was at this show- it is heartbreaking:

I don't know how many Elvis Presley songs Morrissey has recorded? I know that Morrissey sang "(Marie's The Name Of) His Latest Flame" in the early days, this is a great song. Morrissey sang "You'll Be Gone" this was actually co-written by Elvis Presley, with his bodyguard Red West and friend Charlie Hodge. The other song that Elvis Presley composed was "That's Someone You Never Forget" in 1961 with Red West, which was on the Pot Luck LP released in 1962. I heard that Elvis Presley had co-written about 10 songs but only two seem to be available?

Roberta Flack is a great singer. Timi Yuro is great as well she sadly died in 2004. Odetta (Holmes) sadly died in 2008.

I'm the Helen Shapiro fan! I like the gospel singer Mahalia Jackson who died back in 1972. Candi Staton is a good singer as well.

Do you like Nina Simone? Nina Simone died in 2003. I like a lot of singers both male and female.

This is one of Elvis' favorite male singers Roy Hamilton singing "Hurt":

Roy Hamilton died back in 1969 he was only 40. I heard that Elvis liked Patti Page who died in 2013 and Kay Starr who died in 2016.

Elvis liked gospel, blues and country music and that was what created rock 'n' roll his rockabilly music. I think that Elvis liked some slightly operatic music as well like Mario Lanza, some soul and harmony groups.

Sometimes I thought that Elvis Presley sounded a bit like Bing Crosby when he would sing ballads like the crooner stuff.

If you want to contact me privately please contact me here. I like 'Vegan Cro Spirit' they are a truly dedicated Morrissey fan. From what I understand "Cro" stands for Croatia.

Yes you are right 'Tom Tom Club' is to do with the New Wave American band by that name that came out of 'Talking Heads'. I'm not big into them I just thought that it sounded like a cool name. I don't know if Morrissey likes that sort of music? The 'tom-tom' is a type of drum and 'Tom' is a male name like Elvis Presley's manager Colonel Tom Parker.

I thought that the song "Hurt" is a song that Morrissey could sing really well. Poor Morrissey has had his fair share of hurt in his life and pain and trauma as well. Yes Elvis Presley was very 'hurt' by what Priscilla did to him she left him for another man and took his beloved only daughter Lisa Marie to live with her in LA when Elvis lived in Memphis most of the time. Priscilla also got a huge divorce settlement. I would say that Elvis was heartbroken and they say that you can die of a broken heart. I think all of this on top of the loss of his beloved mother and the financial problems after the divorce settlement and that horrible terrible trashy book that his former bodyguards brought out just before he died and the constant touring and concerts he had to do was just too much.

Elvis Presley was used and abused after he became famous by many different people. Before he was famous he was bullied at school. Elvis came from a very poor background which sounds really tough. I think things started to go wrong for him when he went into the army and his beloved mother died, he first met Priscilla when he was stationed in the army out in Germany. When his wife Priscilla left him that was the beginning of the end he seemed to be totally heartbroken. There is a lot of mystery surrounding Elvis' death there are a lot of conflicting stories. He had some health issues but some things don't totally add up. I guess only God knows the truth as to what happened. I wish that Elvis Presley was still alive it is really tragic.

It is good to have a brother in Christ on here! There doesn't seem to be that many born-again, Bible-believing Christians on here. I know that some people don't enjoy talking about religion, theology, philosophy and spiritual matters which is why I try to keep that talk to a minimum. Also this is a Morrissey fan site not a Christian forum. God bless.
I'm going to throw a curve ball at you. Here are three female singers off hand:

By the way, I don't necessarily agree. Yes, it is a Morrissey fan site and not a Christian forum...but it sure is a whole lot of other things, too, the least of it being Morrissey related topics, do you not agree? Like this so-coined Elvis topic we, ourselves, presently discuss as an example...at the minimum? By the way, regarding many of the problems Elvis dealt with...most certainly Priscilla Presley's association with the Church of Scientology needs to be thrown in the mix. Priscilla's timing when she had joined the 'church' is most peculiar. So, it is stated in 2017, that she quit the 'church.' Honestly, I could not see Priscilla Presley 'quitting' this cult willy-nilly without any ramifications. Consider Leah Remini. Other present members, of course, include Tom Cruise (is it not interesting -- Elvis dashboard bobblehead dolls?), John Travolta and Kelly Preston, Kirstie Alley, So, "Hmm," is all I can say. How money really moves around the Church of Scientology is something I recommend you research. You will be surprised what you find out. I think of this often when I consider post-Elvis royalties, if you know what I mean. You kind of slipped there by the way when you said "...Vegan Cro Spirit" they...," heh-heh. I wasn't born yesterday, of course, haha. So, hmm. I do wonder about a lot of things. Well, I got to go now. I think you will find these selections surprising at the top of my head. Siouxsie Sioux is one of those singers whose vocal range is practically unlimited. Very talented singer. Here, you hear her singing relaxed and without any effort yet the result is still powerful. You easily hear her talent. It doesn't take much for Siouxsie. Hey, you take care now.

-- Eric

A couple more in the 'slow and soft' range but a little faster in tempo in their own individual, unique way.

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

Back
Top Bottom