Elvis / Morrissey appreciation thread by Eric & TTC

I think I have all the information I need on this 'clique.' I am sure you have since read my other posts both here and the 'It's not about politics' thread by now. So, how did you like the Elvis-Morrissey comparisons I gathered from those music reference books? I do find the two uniquely similar in this respect. Eerily familiar, yet distant from the other. A kind of kindred spirits that just don't meet eye to eye. Really, a contradiction in terms.

Yeah, I like my name. Thank you. I remember a long time ago when friends of the family had gone to Hawaii and bought me a souvenir of my name in Hawaiian which had a unique quality to it -- Elika. Haha. So, you have Elika on the one hand and Erik the Red on the other. Yes, crazy. But I like my name. In fact, my middle name is unique as well but I won't write it here. Haha. It is short but sweet. I do have a kind of a Bohemian full name for the most part, but no I am not a Heinz 57 like, let's say, a Lou Diamond Phillips or a Keanu Reeves or any other handful of those Hollywood celebrities that have that kind of cultural backdrop.

As for my last name, I will say this...I have searched the meaning behind my last name in the last several years (that started out from a personal curiosity) and, yes, ironically, the origin and roots of my last name found its way into the Sephardic department. In fact, I had taken an interest in the work of Dell Sanchez ('Out From Hiding: Evidences of Sephardic Roots Among Latinos') in this little research quest of mine in the past. But mostly a cursory view of the topic on the Internet in general. But, more recently, the work of Juan Marcos Bejarano Gutierrez has drawn my interest. But I keep this interest to a minimum. I do not find the topic of genealogy important. In fact, the Scriptures (1 Timothy 1:4 ; Titus 3:9) even speak of its pettiness and triviality. It, in fact, reminds me of these very forums we write here and all those 'such forums' dispersed throughout the Internet. Haha. Sigh. Ah, well.

Nevertheless, my familiarity of the topic stems from the fact that I live in an area rich in 'Sephardic' roots. El Paso, Texas is sandwiched between the Nation of Old Mexico to the south and the U.S. State of New Mexico to the north -- all rich in Sephardic history. Strangely enough, the topic of Messianic Judaism drew me to this whole issue of 'Sephardim' of all things. It is interesting nevertheless. So, the topic of Messianic Jews (i.e., the Hebrew Roots movement, et. al.) and the various ministries of Messianic believers naturally fall in place as a believer. The nation of Israel is a given. So...the topics as they relate to Israel -- such as Replacement Theology or, more sadly, the BDS movement (as it has found its way into the church) are topics that are most especially disconcerting and heartbreaking as a believer. I will talk to you again. You take care now. God bless.

-- Eric

P.S. By the way, the 'Helen Shapiro' You Tube link does not work as it is blocked here in the States. But I will search it out on the Internet. Thank you for sending it nevertheless.

Skinny, I mean, "Eric", El Paso, the "Nation of Old Mexico":confused: and Texas are 'rich in Sephardic history?o_O Have you been imbibing the holy water?:crazy:

Skinny, I mean, "Eric", El Paso, the "Nation of Old Mexico":confused: and Texas are 'rich in Sephardic history?o_O Have you been imbibing the holy water?:crazy:
You did not mention 'the U.S. State of New Mexico.' No, I don't drink. But I have an idea who has. Hint: It rhymes with 'me again grows beard, ay yi yi!' Sorry, I do not understand this language nor do I drink. Both are past the limit. It is my recommendation to leave the water to the vampires. You take care now.
-- Eric

You did not mention 'the U.S. State of New Mexico.' No, I don't drink. But I have an idea who has. Hint: It rhymes with 'me again grows beard, ay yi yi!' Sorry, I do not understand this language nor do I drink. Both are past the limit. It is my recommendation to leave the water to the vampires. You take care now.
-- Eric

:confused:

it rhymes withe 'me again grows beard, ay yi yi'???
'ay yi yi':rolleyes:
the name of the person drinking is 'sephardic?'o_O

:confused:

it rhymes withe 'me again grows beard, ay yi yi'???
'ay yi yi':rolleyes:
the name of the person drinking is 'sephardic?'o_O
Don't drink the water! Numbers won't do you any good, 'por, por, por,' favor! Please, Please, Please! What are you saying? Stuttering is a language I do not understand, 'Ay, yi, yi,' You won't get what you want in drinking the water. It's dangerous, you know. It's for your protection. It's worse than Kool-Aid! Of all things sacred, do not drink the water! But I think you already have, 'Ay, yi, yi.'

-- Eric

Don't drink the water! Numbers won't do you any good, 'por, por, por,' favor! Please, Please, Please! What are you saying? Stuttering is a language I do not understand, 'Ay, yi, yi,' You won't get what you want in drinking the water. It's dangerous, you know. It's for your protection. It's worse than Kool-Aid! Of all things sacred, do not drink the water! But I think you already have, 'Ay, yi, yi.'

-- Eric

:rolleyes:

o_O

Skinny, excuse me, "Eric", is this a type of freemason code?:confused:
are you an Islamic sephardic:lbf: freemason now:crazy:

Okay, Helen Shapiro fan, this is for you for the time being...too bad I don't have the pictures but it is late. The pictures are also comparable to one another.

Here are the following write-ups. Tell me if you see the similarities. By the way, you will see my emphasis within the brackets, of course, as I show my obvious 'bias' and favoritism for both artists, heh-heh.

First, Elvis Aron Presley:

musicHound rock (1996)
"...Presley inevitably drifted toward Las Vegas, gained much weight and became a parody of himself...[but] people sometimes forget that Presley - king of rock 'n' roll, movie star, tragic symbol of garish excess, paragon of moral decay, one of the best-selling pop artists of all time...actually was talented...he had an innate command of the stage and audience, and he was a terrific singer and interpreter...[effortlessly displaying an exceedingly powerful and versatile vocal range]."

All Music Guide (1997)
"Elvis Presley was the defining figure of rock 'n' roll music. He is the biggest record seller in history. During his lifetime, especially in the 1950s, he was the focal point for the emergence of rock 'n' roll culture, and he made some of the genre's seminal recordings. Since his death, he has become a pervasive American icon. [Though] Elvis Presley did not invent rock 'n' roll...[He] was the foremost popularizer of rock 'n' roll...[as] the name 'Elvis' became synonymous with the music itself."

New Musical Express (8/2/97)
"...His legend may be sullied and omnipresent, his music distorted and overly familiar and his life parodied and documented to a suffocating degree, but this...at least reminds you why he was the King and why his music meant so much."

Now, Steven Patrick Morrissey:

The New Trouser Press Record Guide (1989)
"...Morrissey and...[The Smiths] stand for the traditional values of selfishness, self-pity and the unbearable anguish of love...No other pop music act...has raised blatant self-absorption to such a high level."

musicHound rock (1996)
"[With incredible stage presence]...Morrissey became an icon for a legion of mournful followers. Blending angst with humor...swagger with impenetrable attitude...Many of his critics even suggest that he has turned into a caricature of his former self."

David Bret (1994)
"Britain's most articulate singer-songwriter...a complex individual whose lyrics opt for realism, wit...tension, and love...prefers not to sanitize, and...has no time for the moon-June trivia which...is churned out...by so many of his contemporaries. [He] remains aloof, mysterious, enigmatic and reclusive - a philosophical, witty, ironic, hard-hitting individual who is one of his country's essential communicators, a living link between Victorian literary ideals and modern-day bed sit drama. His voice is...melancholy, that of a man who has experienced every emotion...[no other artist, since Elvis Presley, has displayed such emotion]. [Morrissey]...is the uncrowned, undisputed champion of the more complex aspects of the human condition, and as such quite possibly the most influential entertainer of his generation."

Well, there you go, Helen Shapiro fan. What do you think?

-- Eric
Hello there 'Anonymous' Helen Shapiro Fan. I decided to post the two following Elvis and Morrissey links here as it relates to the topic. I will say this...several months ago when I played these two songs back to back for my Dad I had left the room...and by the middle of the second Elvis selection, I heard him crying. He was likely remembering my Mom. She had passed away 5 years ago from 'stage 4 pancreatic cancer.' The You Tube links are below:

(Morrissey)

(Elvis)

-- Eric

Similarities and contrast here is a matter of perspective. Haha. They usually offset each other (much like the pictures I post with the two) more often than not. The opposite may usually be depicted or inferred in contrast to that song's message. But not always. Again, the two circling the other but never really meeting eye to eye. Of course, the way they sing always brings the two together in the same ballpark, at least, in unison and on stage serenading their fans, of course.

(Elvis)

(Morrissey)

-- Eric

Please do keep on posting about the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons! I'm interested in this.

For you "An Evening with Helen Shapiro":

Helen Shapiro Fan, wherever you are. I will post a few more Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons with brief comparative information (as their differences far outweigh their similarities) but only as far as it takes me, since what is written on the topic is past tense, obviously. But before I go, more importantly, I do want to post this for you. I especially hope that you listen to this Dallas Holm classic, "Here You Are," posted below. What you hear here is a brief testimonial and 'acoustic version' of the song. But I do recommend you hear the original version of the song as it was played back in the day. Otherwise, I recommend viewing both at your leisure. I also provided one other song, "Rise Again," that I hope will bring encouragement to you. It is a very powerful song and speaks far more than what one can find anywhere for everything it is worth:

The Story Behind the Song -- a brief testimonial and acoustic version of "Here We Are":

The original version of "Here We Are":

The powerful song, "Rise Again":

It is unfortunate "An Evening With Helen Shapiro" is blocked here but I give you Dallas Holm in return. You take care of yourself now and the Lord bless.

-- Eric

Hi Eric,

Please do keep on posting about the Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons! I'm interested in this.

Hello there Helen Shapiro fan (as this is the only way I can address you)...

Like I had done so here, I should have edited all the other posts prior to posting them. There was just too much confusion regarding the 'whom' it was originally addressed. To you for the most part and, though intended for you, I had also addressed someone else. The outcome was muddled in responding to more than one 'whom' within the same post. This resulted in a little more than the 'either here or there thread' dilemma, of course. This also placed you in a rather awkward position (placing you in the line of unnecessary fire!) by not responding to you separately and directly. Sorry for the confusion. Like someone stated in a previous response to one of my posts, it is "...the curse of being here as an anon." I'm still learning my way around here. Either way, I am sure you read between all the lines regarding the other whom. I was hoping I replied to some of your comments for you in those posts otherwise to some degree. In the future though, I will not be as descriptive as I had been before for security reasons. I touched on a few personal issues and topics then but feel free to continue the discussion though. I have not been offended nor am I offended. I am fine. Even so, we don't have to agree with everything or every single issue, and feel free to disagree even if it means bringing up the difficult issues if one arises. Even then we can still agree to disagree.

By the way, I did not realize this Elvis Presley-Morrissey similarities/comparisons topic had already been touched on some 20, 14 and 9 years ago respectively, would you believe, when checking the archives here. The subject did not last very long but was still touched on nevertheless. On a funny note regarding one obvious comparison between the two is their 'photograph portfolios' for lack of a better illustration. Back in their day, in their prime if you want to call it that, all the photographs ever taken between these two alone would bankrupt the model advertising agencies. There would not be a single space lacking anywhere with either one of these two providing a photo or two of themselves. Heh-heh. These two crooners are certainly 'rebels of contrast' in their own personal way (i.e., politically/socially, et. al.) but very charismatic and photogenic rebels nevertheless, haha. This is unique in itself. By the way, I don't know how much longer I will be on this Elvis-Morrissey topic but I will probably post several more songs between the two as they would follow the other in my personal collection with, of course, some personal thoughts of mine as they relate but nothing beyond that really. Nothing deep. Until then, you take care.

But first, I put these two songs:

Elvis

The Smiths

I feel these two are relatable in the sense that, aside from their tempo and extension of play, these two songs are similar. Yes, it is not an exact science, but there is an underlying 'pathos' that can only be found between these two songs in my opinion, outside Bob Dylan's contribution to the Elvis process, with the one song more melancholy than the other in The Smiths, of course.

-- Eric

These two Elvis and Smiths/Morrissey songs certainly hit home and complement each other.

Elvis

The Smiths

-- Eric

A young Elvis and Morrissey (via The Smiths) are usually comparable in many ways and why I place these two here for illustration. Feel free to speed up Elvis or slow down Morrissey in The Smiths with the playback speed. That is, if one is willing to do so. Haha. Both are a given for both artists either way, but just not in these particular songs as one is a slow song and the other a fast one. This particular Elvis number from 1954 comes from the 1965 'Elvis For Everyone!' release with added instrumentation as fellow commenter, Alan, points out.

Elvis

Morrissey

-- Eric

You will see the obvious similarities between both Elvis and Morrissey with the giant red marquee lights behind them in their namesake. Both fans of the two are quite aware of this and is old news, of course. Nothing new or nothing revelatory. However, what I find interesting is the fact that the two contrast the other directly in their attire, literally! At least in these two images (with the Morrissey image provided by Sharron Needles). On Morrissey's part it may be a tribute to Elvis to some degree (from his '68 Comeback Special), yes, but at the same time it is perplexing. Yes, there is a religious symbolism in the message/meaning associated (at the present time) behind the song, or tour/album in the case of Morrissey, to be sure. However, the usual mixed message of double meaning and/or ambiguity characteristic of Morrissey is certainly present along with the ostentatious display (in line with Elvis). But still, enigmatic as Morrissey himself. It is not a coincidence. Details, Details, heh-heh. As they say, "The devil is in the details" indeed. Nevertheless, here you will find Elvis dressed completely in white (not counting the tie) whereas Morrissey is dressed completely in black (not counting the collar). It appears the issue is always 'black and white,' is it not? Haha. But not so much here though. Hmm. I do declare the contrasts very intriguing enough though, to say the least, in those things we typically find familiar.

http://jfkboard.org/other-media/if-i-can-dream/

http://morrissey-solo.com/threads/i-see-morrissey-dressed-as-a-priest-again-last-night.37859/

-- Eric

Likewise, the following two songs complement the other in similar fashion as the previous two before:

Elvis

The Smiths

-- Eric

Back
Top Bottom